• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Unorthodox Tactics

Shady Slim

International Coach
it's not another thread about your cricketing life.

this time i'm asking, what are some unorthodox tactics that are rarely put in to place that you'd like to see more of

for me it's a straight hit in LO games.

think about it, it allows you to have mid on and mid off fairly close and a roaming man to take skied balls either side of the wicket

so how about y'all

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Getting the 12th man to deliberately obstruct a new batsman from entering the field and then appealing for a timed out.

cpr

International Coach
Also heading bouncers away, a neat flick over the wicketkeeper and you're on to a winner (and a MRI scan)

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I'd like to see more of the strategy of standing around like a ponce when clearly legitimately caught in order to intimidate the umpire into giving you a free review.

Shady Slim

International Coach
putting everyone on the off side barring like square leg and bowling ridiculously wide outside off when a team is chasing a target and trying to accelerate

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I used to press coaches to open the bowling with spinners. Never did it, then international teams started having success with it.

I've also had some success by putting in a deep fly gully position in park cricket. Wait for the top edged hack and hope they cling on.

Shady Slim

International Coach
I used to press coaches to open the bowling with spinners. Never did it, then international teams started having success with it.
i've noted that in club cricket the combination of a spinner from one side and a pacer from the other can winkle out most batsmen

a lot of club batsmen, especially if they're aren't top flight, struggle big for timing when there's pace off the ball one side and on it on the other, it's not a coincidence for example i get more batsman mis-hitting when i'm operating in tandem with a pacer

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

I'd like to have seen more teams put in 3 gullies and 2 points when Dan Vettori was finding a niche as an international class Test batsman.

cnerd123

likes this
I'm a big fan of bowling rubbish slow bowlers on slow wickets with men in the deep. Get them miscuing a big shot and holing out. Works a treat against anyone not built like an Andre Russel

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I always want captains to try two kinds of field setting

1) "In between" setting . For example , let us say there is a cover fielder and a deep cover fielder and have a fielder in-between those two positions ..i have seen so many times ball fall in-between. Same tactics can be used for any position similar to this , midwicket, point (mainly this) etc.
2) Fielder directly behind the main umpire..half way between boundary rope and umpire..I see so many straight hits in the air in that area..I think Dhoni did it once against Pollard..

Last edited:

fredfertang

I'm a big fan of bowling rubbish slow bowlers on slow wickets with men in the deep. Get them miscuing a big shot and holing out. Works a treat against anyone not built like an Andre Russel
That's village cricket - every team has at least one whirlyman - trouble is they don't usually have too many who can judge a high one in the deep

Tom Flint

International Regular
I've always wondered what would happen if you stood a couple of paces outside the crease to Murali in an attempt to get to the pitch before it spins whilst being aware of him throwing down wide to the keeper to whip your bails off.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
3-6 field and bowling round the wicket yorkers at the base of leg stump. Batsman tend to hit faily wide ones down the leg side because he knows that ball really angles in to him and could hit the legstump if missed.

It's a good way to utilize blindspot.

testcricketer

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'd love to see more captains have leg slips and leg gullies, as I've noticed most batsmen tend to play
the ball in the air, in that region