• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Name an overrated and an underrated cricketer

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Andy Flower for underrated.

For a 2 year period he was a ****ing beast (Nov '99 to Nov '01)

In 19 tests over this period, he hit 2280 runs @ 91.2

Greatest minnow player ever

Incredible!

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin was never a very aggressive batsman in tests. People confuse his mid 90s ODI spark with tests. He took on Warne and was aggressive against Australia in 1998, and in isolated games before and after, but that was as much dictated by Taylor (And other captains) setting him aggressive fields and hence him strategically playing more shots and getting good value for those shots. Otherwise, he was always a "hit the bad ball, handle the good ball" type batsman in tests. He was just able to handle most good balls compared to other batsmen and put away most bad balls... :) I generally think his test match batting is sometimes a myth built on his amazing ODI batting around that time. And post 2001 Sachin was very defensive in all forms of the game. Even in ODIs most of the time it seemed like he was aggressive only when he needed to be. Otherwise he was a lot more solid but a lot less flashy to watch. Could have also been the effect of him getting to play with much better batting support than earlier too. Guys like Sehwag and Laxman (Yuvraj in ODIs) coming in meant his role in the side kept evolving.
Agreed. A Post 2001 Tendulkar ODI innings could be compared to watching a reliable old manual shifting through the gears. He starts 5 from 20 then at some point he has score of say 20 off 40, which, if he was still in becomes 50 off 75, and if he converted the half ton into a century, it would be off 100-110 deliveries and so on.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree with most parts of hb's post, but saying Sachin was "very defensive in all forms post 2001" is just so so wrong.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree with most parts of hb's post, but saying Sachin was "very defensive in all forms post 2001" is just so so wrong.
In ODIs, he cracked the art of scoring at 100+ SR while barely seeming to take a risk post 2007. Kohli and Amla pretty much operate on the same template these days.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
lol yeah. Literally the wrong use of the word.

"Not aggressive" doesn't = defensive.

Not sure how someone who is very defensive is the first player ever to get 200 in an ODI

91Jmay

International Coach
Jimmy Anderson overrated by a mile.

Looks great when his on song and swinging the ball, but the averages only just under 30 with the ball playing in the most swing & seam friendliest conditions on the planet.

In b4 "stats aren't everything"

His average has been about 28-29 for at least the last 3-4 years without changing much, so the "he's improved a lot" argument doesn't really hold up
Go and have a look at this average in India then come back and apologise. Or don't come back, either option is fine.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol yeah. Literally the wrong use of the word.

"Not aggressive" doesn't = defensive.

Not sure how someone who is very defensive is the first player ever to get 200 in an ODI
Yeah my bad.. I should have said very solid. Defensive the wrong choice of word there, looking back on it.