• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What do non-Indian fans think about India?

Gob

International Coach
That was the moment of truth mate. The moment when we were told in no uncertain terms, who wore the pants in the relationship :ph34r:

Yepp this 2016 debutant Kohli is something special isn't he.

Wow seriously? You find a cricket team other than your own extremely boring? Who would have thought. Boy aren't you a bag full of surprises
Yes Bumrah, Pandya, Nehra, Jadeja, Raina, Dhawan, has been MS Dhoni are all so interesting. **** i got black warriored here

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What I don't understand about India is that given it is a nation of 1.25 billion souls, nearly all of whom are supposed to be cricket mad, why do they have so little strength in depth?

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
What I don't understand about India is that given it is a nation of 1.25 billion souls, nearly all of whom are supposed to be cricket mad, why do they have so little strength in depth?
Who says they have little strength? And less than 40% of them are familiar with cricket.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
India is just not very good at sports. It's taken huge participation numbers just so we could be competent at cricket.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Who says they have little strength? And less than 40% of them are familiar with cricket.
Well let's say that less than 40% of the UK population of 65 million are familiar with cricket, and tbh I doubt if its anything like that many, then logic would suggest to me that India should have around 20 times as many elite players as England, but they palpably haven't

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
India suck, Jono sucks, Teja sucks, Daemon sucks, but long live the Kerala Superblasters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Well let's say that less than 40% of the UK population of 65 million are familiar with cricket, and tbh I doubt if its anything like that many, then logic would suggest to me that India should have around 20 times as many elite players as England, but they palpably haven't
They might if they had twenty times as many national teams as England (well, still probably not because most people in England have much greater access to infrastructure and training, but leaving that aside). The structure of professional cricket incentivises the development of enough elite players to fill up national teams and not much more than that. It's a bit like this discussion I had with kiwiviktor:

It's incredible because if NZ has 6 professional sides Aussie should have about 40/50, given the absolute numbers of people actually interested in cricket in either country.
It's because, new money being found in domestic T20 cricket aside, only international cricket is actually profitable. Cricket is professional at the level below that because it's subsidised by profits of international cricket, and therefore the structure of domestic cricket will largely be determined not by the market for it but the best way to develop a successful international team at the smallest cost.

Australia probably would have 30 or so professional domestic teams if they also had five international teams, which could probably be justified financially but that's obviously not the way international cricket works.
The structure of international cricket is actually a great leveller within itself. These new T20 leagues are going to create really interesting new dynamics though.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
If Bangladeshi cricketers are tigers, NZ cricketers are kiwis, Aussie cricketers are kangaroos, SL cricketers are lions then I like to imagine BCCI as the owner of that zoo.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If Bangladeshi cricketers are tigers, NZ cricketers are kiwis, Aussie cricketers are kangaroos, SL cricketers are lions then I like to imagine BCCI as the owner of that zoo.
There's a maanki (sp) line there, but I ain't touching it,.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Who says they have little strength?
Yeah lets have a little walk through the great pantheon of Indian pace bowlers...

I've never liked Indian cricket. The horrible hearing problems, Sunil Gavaskar and Ravi Shastri actually having legitimate positions, the inability to produce a watchable bowling attack or its 'strong' stance on the DRS. The list continues.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
This thread should already be 10 pages long or locked. What has happened here? Hang your heads in shame CW

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
GotSpin's wahhh after India beat Australia in the 2011 Quarter Final probably my favourite ever wahhh in CW history.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
What would be interesting would be to compare England during the dominant MCC days with India. India would look much worse probably.