• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disapperaring Cricketers

tooextracool

International Coach
hasan raza played in the third test against australia in sharjah 02/03 and top scored in both innings for the pakis with scores of 54 and 68. hafta wonder why he was dropped after that...anybody know?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Disciplinary problems, most likely.
Not as if he hasn't been in and out of the side enough times, though.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
vishnureddy said:
He didn't have much problem with pace. Infact he looked in his first making around 30 odd against bowlers like Streak and Strang.
Strang was never the quickest though.

Craig

World Traveller
vishnureddy said:
He is settled in US of A. My Cousin once saw him in Disney world where he was signing autograph for some Indians. Trust only Indians to recognise a player like Adam Huckle :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Well I'm sure Huckle would like to be recognised by Indians then to be forgotten completely. I think Huckle went to presue his farming career, but he's a smart man now to be living in the USA (more safer) or even in South Africa.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Richard said:
That's stupid enough, too - poor girl.
It's not quite as stupid as selecting a 14-year-old boy to play against men, but it still strains belief.
She's quite obviously up to it.

aussiefan

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
If i speak of australia then

Matthew Elliot
Greg Blewett
Micheal Slater

for India

rajesh chauhan ( played very well in 96-97)
Robin Singh

:!(

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
aussiefan said:
If i speak of australia then

Matthew Elliot
Greg Blewett
Micheal Slater
They all still play domestically, but I think Elliot and Blewett were dropped for being largely inconsistent and Slater was dropped for poor performances during the 2001 Ashes series and then for good after it was found that Langer and Hayden make great opening partners!

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
That's stupid enough, too - poor girl.
It's not quite as stupid as selecting a 14-year-old boy to play against men, but it still strains belief.
Laura Harper wasn't quite as young at 16, but I remember being staggered when I heard about it.

She hit 70 odd against England having just turned 14... Has a technique to shame a lot of people in the mens game and is by far and away SA's best batswoman.. (although that isnt saying that much :) )

It doesnt really matter if its a grown ups game, if she is scoring runs, then playing at the top is going to improve her a lot more quickly.... anyway they need her..

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Strang was never the quickest though.
Accurate, persistant and very useful at keeping the runs down, even if he didn't take many wickets. In the right conditions he was unplayable, in others he was mearly economical.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Richard said:
Gavin Rennie IMO never did justice to his talent.
Never really was given a proper chance. He showed promise but was messed around by the selectors. He was picked for the ODI side a while ago, but ODers have never been his strong point and he didn't really come off and they ignored him from then on. A much better opener than either Sibanda (obviously!) or Ebrahim (who's mainly a middle order batsman pushed up to open).

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Accurate, persistant and very useful at keeping the runs down, even if he didn't take many wickets. In the right conditions he was unplayable, in others he was mearly economical.
In short, good one-day bowler, good in First-Class in some conditions.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Who was Crawley dropped for the most recent time - was it Key?
With hindsight, that was a pretty stupid decision. But not quite as stupid as putting Key in the ODI side when he was in that appauling run of form. Crawley was unlucky, he had scored a hundred the previous year and was batting better than Key, and then Key just lost it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
Never really was given a proper chance. He showed promise but was messed around by the selectors. He was picked for the ODI side a while ago, but ODers have never been his strong point and he didn't really come off and they ignored him from then on. A much better opener than either Sibanda (obviously!) or Ebrahim (who's mainly a middle order batsman pushed up to open).
Ebrahim's actually an opener who's sometimes been made to bat in the middle-order. IMO he's as poor in one position as the other. Not quite as bad as Sibanda, though.
Gavin Rennie should have been Grant Flower's opening partner for ages IMO. Gripper's OK, but not as good as Rennie. Never rated him as a OD player at all.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
With hindsight, that was a pretty stupid decision. But not quite as stupid as putting Key in the ODI side when he was in that appauling run of form. Crawley was unlucky, he had scored a hundred the previous year and was batting better than Key, and then Key just lost it.
Key should never have been picked in the middle-order in the first place - he's an opener. To take him to Australia was an error and to keep him on after was stupidity.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Langeveldt said:
Amazingly he was persevered with for five tests, it must have been a soul destroying experience...
Now known as the "Blessing Mahwire Effect"