• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Disapperaring Cricketers

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
Certainly do.
One was the one before Gibbs (as good in the field if not with the bat) and one replaced Kirsten for a short time.
Both series involved England. That's why I remember so clearly.
I always thought both were pretty good, 'specially Koen.
Odd thing is, there's sure as hell a rugby-player from SA with the same name, and I think the same spelling.

Gerrie Liebenberg is a bit of a Graeme Hick... He is a very very good player, but had a shocker in England when the pressure was on.. he was named as the "walking wicket" and averaged nine...

Amazingly he was persevered with for five tests, it must have been a soul destroying experience...

Yep Louis Koen is a much maligned SA rugby player too...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm sure Bacher played at Lord's.
Then he got injured (Kirsten and Cullinan opened in the second-innings) and Liebenberg was brought back. Even in that massacre at Old Trafford he still couldn't cash-in. Still, the ball Gough got him with was a beauty.
Mind, in that series Kirsten made double-figures twice, too - 12 in the first innings of the series (then caught by a screamer from, IIRR, Butcher) then 210.
Once Gus Fraser found his length again, opening became as tough as it ever was against him. Rhodes was about the only batsman who was consistent in that series. Kirsten, Kallis, Cullinan and Cronje all had their various moments, but sadly for Liebenberg, he didn't.
Then Gibbs came back and all was over. Strangely, though, Kirsten and Gibbs had very similar tubbles in 1999\2000, even in slightly different pitch-conditions.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Richard said:
I'm sure Bacher played at Lord's.
Then he got injured (Kirsten and Cullinan opened in the second-innings) and Liebenberg was brought back. Even in that massacre at Old Trafford he still couldn't cash-in. Still, the ball Gough got him with was a beauty.
Mind, in that series Kirsten made double-figures twice, too - 12 in the first innings of the series (then caught by a screamer from, IIRR, Butcher) then 210.
Once Gus Fraser found his length again, opening became as tough as it ever was against him. Rhodes was about the only batsman who was consistent in that series. Kirsten, Kallis, Cullinan and Cronje all had their various moments, but sadly for Liebenberg, he didn't.
Then Gibbs came back and all was over. Strangely, though, Kirsten and Gibbs had very similar tubbles in 1999\2000, even in slightly different pitch-conditions.
I think they also experimented with Mike Rindel in the ODI series...

I have the whole summer on tape.. it may be the most watched tape ever :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Richard said:
and had the absurd idea that McGrath qualified as an all-rounder and suitable replacement for the injured Flintoff.
Wrong.

There's the misconception on the selection of McGrath.

All along it was said by the selectors and I believe McGrath himself (but I cannot be certain on that) that he was called up as a batsman who can bowl a few overs of medium pace.

Never was he ever called an all-rounder, and were it not for Collingwood's unfortunate injury, he wouldn't have got in.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
tooextracool said:
also a couple of west indies openers called lambert and sherwin cambpell.
Sherwin Campbell was dropped after poor performances in England and Australia and due the domestic form of Chris Gayle. He never really had the best technique, but with that consideration, he served the West Indies pretty well.

Clayton Lambert was one of the best players in regional cricket and did pretty decently at international level. However, whist he debuted in Tests at 29 (39 and 14 in the middle order), then he was dropped after a stupid shot which triggered a West Indian collapse. He then returned at 36 years of age and played v Engaland and South Africa. He was tamed very much in South Africa as his rather unusual technique was exposed.

thierry henry

International Coach
Hasan Raza
Chris Silverwood
Roger Telemachus
Alan Mullally
Mohammed Wasim
Matthew Nicholson
Mohammed Wasim has been playing for Otago in NZ for the last few years and by NZ domestic standards has had reasonable success. I'm not sure if he is trying to get back in the Pakistan side, perhaps he has plans of playing for NZ???

I also wonder about Hasan Raza, if he was good enough at 14 surely he would be good enough at 20?

And I recall Telemachus was a very useful performer against NZ in the 2000/01 season, where is he now?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
thierry henry said:
I also wonder about Hasan Raza, if he was good enough at 14 surely he would be good enough at 20?
Some might question if he was really good enough at 14...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To select a 14-year-old for international cricket, to borrow Syd Pardon's legendary phrase, touched the confines of lunacy.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
I think they also experimented with Mike Rindel in the ODI series...

I have the whole summer on tape.. it may be the most watched tape ever :D
Ditto that for me in the next series - the Tests and Standard Bank games of 1999\2000. I've watched just about every game about 50 times.
They certainly did experiment with Rindel in the Emirates Trophy 1998, despite having picked Liebenberg for the pre-Tests Texaco Trophy.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Richard said:
To select a 14-year-old for international cricket, to borrow Syd Pardon's legendary phrase, touched the confines of lunacy.
Well said.

Although I think you will go past the confines of lunacy.

Expecting a 14 year old to face 130 kph bowling is insane.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IIRR he certainly looked it.
And no-one has questioned his DOB, like they did with Sharif and like they didn't with Mushtaq Mohammed.

Craig

World Traveller
What's happened to these Zimbabwean cricketers?

Guy Whittall (I know he's he retired), Alister Campbell, Gavin Rennie, Dave Houghton, Brian Murphy, Adam Huckle?

Except Rennie and perhaps Huckle, they were good cricketers for Zimbabwe.

Wouldnt be surprised if they have buggered off to live in South Africa.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Langeveldt said:
Johmari Logtenburg :D :D
That's stupid enough, too - poor girl.
It's not quite as stupid as selecting a 14-year-old boy to play against men, but it still strains belief.
Laura Harper wasn't quite as young at 16, but I remember being staggered when I heard about it.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Craig said:
What's happened to these Zimbabwean cricketers?

Guy Whittall (I know he's he retired), Alister Campbell, Gavin Rennie, Dave Houghton, Brian Murphy, Adam Huckle?

Except Rennie and perhaps Huckle, they were good cricketers for Zimbabwe.

Wouldnt be surprised if they have buggered off to live in South Africa.
Zimbabwe have lost so many good cricketers recently, mainly due to the obvious reason.
David Houghton retired ages ago, he just retired for the same reason most do - he felt he'd reached the end of his career because of his age.
Neil Johnson (IMO Zimbabwe's finest player yet, in the one-day game at any rate) and Murray Goodwin retired to go back to South Africa and Australia respectively after the 2000 tour here. Both ended-up as overseas-players in county cricket, too.
Adam Huckle retired unexpectedly to, IMSC, pursue business advantages. Nothing to do with the political situation as far as I'm aware.
Andrew Whittall retired for reasons I know not. Injury, maybe?
After WC2003 there was a mass exodus with Alistair Campbell (not immidiately, but upon being dropped), Andy Flower, Guy Whittall and Henry Olonga leaving the country. Flower and Olonga for obvious reasons. I don't think either of the Strangs are still playing top-level cricket, though Bryan is certainly still residing there. I don't know what happened to John Rennie - maybe he just retired because he was inexplicably not getting picked?
Gavin Rennie, Gary Brent, Brian Murphy and Mpeulolo Mbangwa are to my knowledge all still playing domestic cricket, just not being picked for internationals. Gavin Rennie IMO never did justice to his talent.
Cricket is one of many things in Zimbabwe being wrecked by the Mugabe regime.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
One would question whether he was really 14.
I think questions were indeed asked and he was found to be around 16 i think but not so sure.

He didn't have much problem with pace. Infact he looked in his first making around 30 odd against bowlers like Streak and Strang.

V Reddy

International Debutant
Craig said:
He is settled in US of A. My Cousin once saw him in Disney world where he was signing autograph for some Indians. Trust only Indians to recognise a player like Adam Huckle :lol:

Last edited: