• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the worst pace bowler to take over 300 test wickets?

Who is the worst pace bowler to take over 300 test wickets?

• Total voters

G.I.Joe

International Coach
If Ishant Sharma keeps up his current rate of picking up wickets, this debate will have ceased to exist in 4.5 years.

indiaholic

International Captain
That is true. His record will stand for a long long time.

Plus wanted to vote for Ntini. Why isn't he on the list? Is Tec a saffa?

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Brett Lee is my vote and Dev would be my favourite out of those listed.

Many of these guys seem to have times of lacking the needed wicket taking ability that got them to such heights, but 300+ is one hell of an achievement.

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
A look at the wickets taken of batsmen who average over 50.00. Broad seems to be the best

Zaheer Khan - Hayden (10) Sangakkara (6) Pointing (5) Hussey (5) de Villiers (3) Kallis (3) Amla (2) YKhan (2) Chanderpaul (2) Lara (2) Warner (1) Flower (1) Yousuf (1) Swaugh (1) Mathews (1) - 13.5% of wickets of batsmen who average over 50.00

Brett Lee - Dravid (7) Tendulkar (5) Chanderpaul (3) de Villiers (3) Kallis (3) Lara (2) Amla (1) YKhan (1) - 8% of batsmen

Stuart Broad - de Villiers (10) Amla (7), SSmith (6) YKhan (5) Warner (5) Chanderpaul (5) Tendulkar (3) Ponting (3) MHussey (3) Kallis (3) Dravid (2) Voges (2) Sangakkara (1) Yousuf (1) - 16.8%

Chaminda Vaas - Ponting (6) Flower (5) Hayden (4) Tendulkar (3) Dravid (3) YKhan (3) Kallis (3) Chanderpaul (3) Yousuf (1) Lara (1) - 9.1% of batsmen

James Anderson - Tendulkar (9) Kallis (7) Sangakkara (7) Warner (7) /SSmith (5) Dravid (5) Chanderpaul (4) Ponting (4) Mathews (3) de Villiers (3) Hussey (3) Amla (2) Voges (1) YKhan (1) Yousuf (1) Lara (1) - 14.5% of batsmen

Kapil Dev - Border (10) Richards (7) Miandad (7) Arif (1) - 5.7% of batsmen
Zaheer Khan is to Hayden what Stuart Broad is to devilliers i.e.

ZK : H = S.B : D (i)

Similarly,

Z.K : Kallis = Brett Lee : Deviliiers (ii)

Z.K/S.B =D/H (iii), from (i)
Z.K./B.L =K/D (iv), from (ii)

Multiplying iii and iv,
(Z.K)^2/(S.B)(B.L) = (D)(K)/(H)(D)

(Z.K)^2/(S.B)(B.L) = K/H

Now everyones knows, K>H

Which means,
Stuart Broad and Brett Lee are together worse than 2 Zaheer Khans i.e. one Zaheer Khan is better than atleast one of them.

But from e.q. (iv), its obvious that Zaheer Khan is better than Brett Lee (Since kallis is better than devilliers)
So, there are two possibilities

1. Zaheer Khan > Brett Lee and Stuart Broad both
2. Stuart Broad > Zaheer Khan > Brett Lee

I go for the 1st

In any case,

Statistically, Zaheer Khan is better than Brett Lee.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Similarly,

Multiplying iii and iv,

(Z.K)^2/(S.B)(B.L) = K/H

Now everyones knows, K>H

Which means,
Stuart Broad and Brett Lee are together worse than 2 Zaheer Khans i.e. one Zaheer Khan is better than atleast one of them.

But from e.q. (iv), its obvious that Zaheer Khan is better than Brett Lee (Since kallis is better than devilliers)

I go for the 1st

In any case,

Looks suspiciously like a tick list to me

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Similarly,

Multiplying iii and iv,

(Z.K)^2/(S.B)(B.L) = K/H

Now everyones knows, K>H

Which means,

I go for the 1st

In any case,

I actually went and checked whether the mathematical operations were valid. iii. doesn't follow from i. FTR.

I hate myself.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I voted for Kapil Dev, I never saw him as an out and out strike bowler but more as a complete all-rounder.
He was that and worse in the last years of his career. However, was magnificent early on. His record as he went to 100 and then 200 wickets is fabulous.

Dawood Ahmad

U19 Vice-Captain
Had any luck with Reimann's Hypothesis yet? Your talents are wasted on these trivial problems..
10 kg of talents was wasted on these trivial problems...
And around 100 kg of sense was wasted on abilities
And more than 1000 kg of time was wasted in ponting....

Last edited: