• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2016

Howe_zat

Audio File
Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Concerned about the absolute lack of batting Lancs have this year. The other day we had Smith at 3 and Procter at 4, not sure if experimenting or thats genuinely where they've migrated up to in the order.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Impressive stuff from barely 21 year old Will Rhodes. Getting the score from 234/9 up towards 300 on his own, hitting boundaries and keeping the strike

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Concerned about the absolute lack of batting Lancs have this year. The other day we had Smith at 3 and Procter at 4, not sure if experimenting or thats genuinely where they've migrated up to in the order.
Bizarre isn't it - and then they go for a seamer as overseas player - Gilo clearly has no faith in Nathan Buck, tom Smith's fitness or Saqib Mahmood - maybe he's right about the first two but Saqib looks the business to me, as does young Hameed, but the rest of the batting is as fragile as it comes, and Alviro Petersen is no Ashwell Prince

Howe_zat

Audio File
I realised Alviro Petersen had become an old pro of county cricket when he tweeted the world's county cricketest tweet. It really stuck with me.

Stumps called because of the rain. Heading on to Chelmsford.

91Jmay

International Coach
^ Yes

Gary Ballance will be in frame for an England recall if any of Hales + Taylor fail. Always liked Ballance to be fair, he was in wretched form in home Ashes but he isn't a bad player.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Impressive stuff from barely 21 year old Will Rhodes. Getting the score from 234/9 up towards 300 on his own, hitting boundaries and keeping the strike
Disappointed. From browsing the scorecard I was sure they had ditched the young one and dug up zombie Wilfred Rhodes.

FBU

International Debutant
Can;t believe Surrey have signed Rampaul for two years
Tom Curran, Sam Curran, Burke, Dernbach, Dunn, Meaker, Footitt, Conor McKerr and Mathew Pillans

91Jmay

International Coach
Saqib Mahmood should have a big season this year. I agree I think he looks like a huge talent.

cpr

International Coach
It just scares me a little still to see S.Mahmood in the bowling column...

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Thought it was questionable that Lancs got Prince to go back on his retirement last year. Sure he got them back in the first division but what good is that now? Short term bump but really they needed others to show they can score runs.

Looking at their squad (in relation to the other teams) I can't see them staying up. They'll need two or three of what I call average county pros (Brown, Croft, Bailey, Clarke) to really progress to the next level and/or Anderson to win them a load of games when he's available and/or win most games at home on spinning wickets - if they are to stay up.

Hameed and Saqib are very good prospects but they ain't going to be game changers yet in a division 1 that continues to get stronger.

Haven't decided yet who I think will be the other team to go down.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Glad that they've changed the bouncer law in white ball cricket. Last year with the no ball and free hit for anything over head height was really stupid.

cpr

International Coach
Thought it was questionable that Lancs got Prince to go back on his retirement last year. Sure he got them back in the first division but what good is that now? Short term bump but really they needed others to show they can score runs.

Looking at their squad (in relation to the other teams) I can't see them staying up. They'll need two or three of what I call average county pros (Brown, Croft, Bailey, Clarke) to really progress to the next level and/or Anderson to win them a load of games when he's available and/or win most games at home on spinning wickets - if they are to stay up.

Hameed and Saqib are very good prospects but they ain't going to be game changers yet in a division 1 that continues to get stronger.

Haven't decided yet who I think will be the other team to go down.

Thats the issue, Brown and Clark are the level of mediocrity we accept as first XI batsmen, along with the likes of Procter. Crofts got a bit more about him, and Bailey isn't a bad bowler but might find himself still on the fringes with the amount of pace bowlers we have lined up (Buck, Jarvis, Griffiths, Edwards, Mahmood, Smith, Anderson when available)

Expect OT to spin this year, as Kerrigan will be our main threat, with Lilley likely to be our go to all-rounder. Add to the mix Parry too and we've got a decent spin unit, with a coach who understands the art. I think ultimately our inability to finish off a game and far too many draws will be our big stumbling point, as has been in other seasons we've struggled in the top flight.

In the shorter game our batting actually looks alright, Smith and Croft perform better in LO cricket, Davies has been looking good, Livingstone isn't scared to hit the ball, Lilley is more than capable of quick runs. Would be disappointed if we don't make finals day again

Howe_zat

Audio File
University matches are on. The good news is that one of the bowlers for Cambridge is called Alistair Allchin.

Edit: On further inspection, the bowling attack are named Alistair, Adam, Avish, Adil and Alexander.

They're heard of bowlers who use other letters, but thought, 'why risk it'

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
University matches are on. The good news is that one of the bowlers for Cambridge is called Alistair Allchin.

Edit: On further inspection, the bowling attack are named Alistair, Adam, Avish, Adil and Alexander.

They're heard of bowlers who use other letters, but thought, 'why risk it'
:laugh:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nope. Unless I've missed a few, which isn't impossible.

Not that I can see the point in signing Rampaul.

1. Jason Roy
2. Aaron Finch (os)
3. Kumar Sangakkara (os)
4. Vikram Solanki
5. Gary Wilson +
6. Azhar Mahmood
7. Tom Curran
8. Stuart Meaker
9. Mathew Pillans
10. Ravi Rampaul
11. Jade Dernbach

If they could get Solanki out of retirement for a match, here's a Surrey T20 XI of all overseas-born players.