• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2016

S.Kennedy

International Vice-Captain
bollocks by Hampshire

Their strongest team now includes Abbott, Ervine, Edwards, Roussow, Bailey. None of whom are eligible/ will play for England. Wheal too isn't eligible yet afaik.
They're wankers man.

They are going to get sledged like crazy for being division one impostors.

theegyptian

Adams, Alsop, Vince,Roussow, Bailey, Dawson, Ervine, McManus,Abbott, Edwards, Wheal (Prob a bat drops out and a bowler comes into this - not sure who though because none of the imports are opening bats).

Topley possibly on the bench. Gareth Berg another SA in reserve. Crane won't be playing. England u19 bat Weatherley absolutely no chance. Carberry is still contracted afaik. Will Smith, Chris Wood.

SeamUp

International Coach
Well, all the Hampshire players are buzzing on twitter.

Mason Crane ‏@masoncrane32 6m6 minutes ago
Really excited to see @Kyle_Abbott87 and @Rileerr perform for the rose and crown! Even more buzzing for the season!!!

Will Smith ‏@WillSmith_2 29m29 minutes ago
Very excited by the signings of @Kyle_Abbott87 @ @Rileerr. Good times ahead for @hantscricket, roll on the 2017 season! #��&��

James Vince ‏@vincey14 1h1 hour ago
Brilliant to have @Kyle_Abbott87 and @Rileerr joining us @hantscricket. A very exciting squad coming together.

liam dawson ‏@daws128 39m39 minutes ago
2 superb signings for @hantscricket welcome @Rileerr and great to have @Kyle_Abbott87 back.

Reece JW Topley ‏@reece_topley 2h2 hours ago
Well, @Kyle_Abbott87 and @Rileerr are amazing signings! Can't wait for this summer and the years to come with them at this great club!

Thomas Alsop ‏@TAlsop9 13m13 minutes ago
Awesome signings exciting times ahead for @hantscricket with @Rileerr & @Kyle_Abbott87 ����

Chris Wood ‏@CWoody27 18m18 minutes ago
Excited for the 2017 season is a understatement! Welcome @Kyle_Abbott87 and @Rileerr big year for @hantscricket ahead ��

Lewis McManus ‏@lewis_mcmanus 1h1 hour ago
Very exciting to have @Kyle_Abbott87 & @Rileerr join @hantscricket Great additions to our squad #Rose&Crown

theegyptian

There's going to be some super competitive teams in div 1 this year. Two of the weaker ones in Essex and Hampshire have really strengthened. Essex are going to have to leave out the likes of Wheater and Chopra who have been succesful in Div 1. Bowling is still weak in depth although Harmer and Wagner/Amir (overseas) will make strong first xis. Hampshire are going to have to leave out some decent bats also. The likes of Adams, Carberry(not sure where he is at after his cancer diagnosis), Alsop and Will Smith are likely going to be scrapping for the last position in the team. Likes of Weatherly and Goodwin who have been around the england youth setup aren't going to get a lookin. I kinda wonder if they regret getting George Bailey now as overseas players especially for two years. Surrey are stronger with Borthwick and Stoneman

You look at teams like

Dawson, Adams, Vince, Rossouw, Bailey, Ervine, Mcmanus, Berg, Abbott, Edwards, Topley
Reserve - Carberry(full international), Alsop(lions), Andrew, Crane(Engu19), W Smith, B Taylor(Eu19), Wheal, C Wood, Weatherley(Eu19)

Cook, Browne, Westley, Bopara, Lawrence, Ten Doeschate, Foster, Harmer, Amir/Wagner, Porter, Quinn
Reserve - Chopra(lions), Wheater, Beard(u19s), Dixon, C Taylor(u19s), Zaidi

Stoneman, Burns, Borthwick, Sangakarra, Roy, Foakes, Ansari, S Curran, T Curran, Footitt, Rampaul
Reserve - Batty(international), Dernbach(international), Dunn, Harinath, Meaker(international), Sibley(u19s), Pope(u19s)

They are stong first class teams and squads.

Most other first div clubs I would suggest are broadly similar standard to previous year.

Have to fancy Lancs to go down (although I said that last year) unless they've got a saffer lined up. Lost Alviro Peterson and brought in Mclaren. Essex would be the likeliest candidate to join them in my book. I worry they don't have the bowling depth to compete over a season.

For me Hampshire have gone too far. It's arbitrary but 5 or 6 starters who can't play for England seems too much. It's ok if it's the one county but before you know it other counties will try and compete and all the teams will have similar numbers.

Hampshire white ball team looks pretty tasty now though. Vince, Alsop, Rossouw, Bailey, Ervine, Dawson, Afridi(T20)?, Mcmanus, Abbott, Wheal, Topley

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Notts really did disappoint last season.

Chances of quick return to division one must be great.

When you have Hales, Wessels, Patel , Lumb, Read, Ball,

Need some of the young guns to step up like Libby, Root, Moores, Dal, Carter, L.Wood , Kitt

Noah

School Boy/Girl Captain
Middlesex really need an overseas top order bat. Bailey was poor last year. If he doesn't retire maybewe could get Voges as his international career seems to be over. Darren bravo would be a good option to for the second half of the season after the WI matches are done. Think we might struggle in the spin department too as I thought ollie rayner massively punched above his weight last season
Wouldn't even need to wait for the West Indies matches to be over - Darren Bravo is on the outer now and at loggerheads with the WICB. I'm surprised he hasn't already been snapped up by a county club.

Last edited:

Tom Flint

International Regular
Wouldn't even need to wait for the West Indies matches to be over - Darren Bravo is on the outer now and at loggerheads with the WICB. I'm surprised he hasn't already been snapped up by a county club.
I'm pretty sure that matter will be temporarily resolved soon, the senior WI players seem to be suspended or retired 3/4 times a season

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Has really surprised me to be honest, did not know we had the money for these sort of deals.

It is two players we really needed, without them relegation looked extremely likely again. If Alsop, Crane and Wheal don't get regular cricket I will be extremely disappointed though.

Pothas

For me Hampshire have gone too far. It's arbitrary but 5 or 6 starters who can't play for England seems too much. It's ok if it's the one county but before you know it other counties will try and compete and all the teams will have similar numbers.
I am kind of uneasy about it I have to say, I am sure it has happened before though.

I don't really count Ervine as he has been here forever but it does feel like too many, especially when we actually have some decent young players coming through.

Pothas

I am kind of uneasy about it I have to say, I am sure it has happened before though.

I don't really count Ervine as he has been here forever but it does feel like too many, especially when we actually have some decent young players coming through. The two brought in today bring real quality so I don't think that it is a problem for county cricket (obviously there are other issues with it from an international cricket point of view) but I would then rather do without Edwards/Bailey.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Has really surprised me to be honest, did not know we had the money for these sort of deals.

It is two players we really needed, without them relegation looked extremely likely again. If Alsop, Crane and Wheal don't get regular cricket I will be extremely disappointed though.
I was in australia before xmas and went to watch a 1st grade game as my mate plays for penrith. Mason crane was playing for the oppo as their overseas. Im not sure he's div 1 county champiomship standard tbh from why ive seen of him in previous years and that particular match

Tom Flint

International Regular
Reckon we could be in serious trouble this year. Aging team, no new players on the horizon.
I take it patel is back for another year? Has there been any more talk of barker playing for the windies? If he did join them you would have to replace him or you'd be down imo

fredfertang

IIRC at one point in the early 70s Warwickshire had Deryck Murray, Lance Gibbs, Rohan Kanhai, Alvin Kallicharran and Khalid Ibadulla available at the same time

SeamUp

International Coach
Reckon he will score stacks of runs, especially in Div 2.
Be good for him. Jimmy played for Somerset for years and now Stephen will be going to the most northern club in England.

Probably be nice if Dean Elgar gets a gig as well.