• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2016

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I would rather see Ben Curran opening the batting than Stoneman.
Is there really a third Curran brother, or were you just having an off moment?

Not being sarcastic btw - I really wouldn't know if Sam and Tom had another sibling.

91Jmay

International Coach
We've signed Olly Stone from Northants and apparently fancy Keaton Jennings. For some reason I've never liked Jennings but he has been in great form this year.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Trego out fo zero :'(
Abell looked really steady, not much oomph about him but has time at the crease.
Archer deserved his figures, managed to get bounce out of the Taunton pitch isn't easy, and he was much nor lively than CJ or Shahzad.

40 runs short I reckon, need wickets.

91Jmay

International Coach
Jofra Archer just oozes talent with bat and ball. Madness he couldn't get in for Barbados.

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jofra Archer just oozes talent with bat and ball. Madness he couldn't get in for Barbados.
I can only say if they couldn't realise the basis of a hell-of-a-cricketer then it makes you understand the state of west indies test cricket.

FBU

International Debutant
Is there really a third Curran brother, or were you just having an off moment?

Not being sarcastic btw - I really wouldn't know if Sam and Tom had another sibling.
One is an opening batsman (20), one all rounder (18) and one a bowler (21) - a really talented family. He is at Notts though, like another wonderful player Tom Moores. Wish Lancs would sign him up.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The Sussex cash might have been more reliable and with fewer strings attached than the Barbados cash.
Well he was never actually selected for Barbados while he was there. but tbf he was 19, and the Barbados pace attack was particularly stacked in the context of West Indian cricket at the time. He also had to contend with the fact that the pitches in West Indian domestic cricket usually turn square so only two quicks were actually being selected a lot of the time. Miguel Cummins was missing out sometimes back when Archer was there, and Cummins is in the Test side now.

91Jmay

International Coach
Liam Dawson has really gone from strength to strength since being picked for England. His batting really good this year.

I know what you're saying PEWS and you're right there are justifiable reasons for not picking him but just watching him looks so ****ing smooth and good.

Hard to square.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Liam Dawson has really gone from strength to strength since being picked for England. His batting really good this year.

I know what you're saying PEWS and you're right there are justifiable reasons for not picking him but just watching him looks so ****ing smooth and good.

Hard to square.
It's actually even more justifiable than I first imagined. Looking back at the Barbados squad of 2013/14, they had a seamer who was in the Test team at the time and therefore undroppable (Best), a seamer who was in the Test team before his injury and just working his way back from that injury, and therefore similarly undroppable (Edwards), a seamer in the ODI team and pushing for a Test place who would go on to be Test captain soon (Holder), and two other seamers who are in the Test team as we speak and obviously would've been highly rated back then too (C Brathwaite and Cummins). On top of all that they had to get two spinners in because most of the pitches they played on absolutely ragged.

I think in that situation the last thing on your mind would be finding a spot for a 19 year old seamer, no matter how good he looked. They already had massive selection problems as it was. Unfortunately the West Indies system is too sectarian for him to have just found another WI domestic team to play for any more easily than he found a county team to go to, and realistically that's the issue the West Indies need to look out more than Barbados not picking him. I don't think it was a case at all of them not rating him. He might even be enticed back home yet.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah that is fair, would think he could have been loaned to another island for 12 months. I hope he does go back, a guy with that action, seam presentation, who operates at 85-88 mph would help Windies a lot. Also clearly a talent as a lower order bat as well.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Wood giving Willey a real working over. Bowling short with a short leg in. Just whacked him on the helmet. Good stuff