• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** County Cricket 2016

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Right now, both probably about equal IMO. Tom's got the few years on Sam though, so I'm going to suggest that Sam's the good one (also the born-in-England one).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
1. Jason Roy
2. Aaron Finch (os)
3. Kumar Sangakkara (os)
4. Vikram Solanki
5. Gary Wilson +
6. Azhar Mahmood
7. Tom Curran
8. Stuart Meaker
9. Mathew Pillans
10. Ravi Rampaul
11. Jade Dernbach

If they could get Solanki out of retirement for a match, here's a Surrey T20 XI of all overseas-born players.
Now you're moving the goal posts mate - the original post referred to foreign players, and most of that lot are officially regarded as English in terms of international qualification.
tbh though I'd forgotten about Finch, and I've never heard of Pillans.

91Jmay

International Coach
Thought it was questionable that Lancs got Prince to go back on his retirement last year. Sure he got them back in the first division but what good is that now? Short term bump but really they needed others to show they can score runs.

Looking at their squad (in relation to the other teams) I can't see them staying up. They'll need two or three of what I call average county pros (Brown, Croft, Bailey, Clarke) to really progress to the next level and/or Anderson to win them a load of games when he's available and/or win most games at home on spinning wickets - if they are to stay up.

Hameed and Saqib are very good prospects but they ain't going to be game changers yet in a division 1 that continues to get stronger.

Haven't decided yet who I think will be the other team to go down.
Buttler as a red ball batsmen could have a huge summer if he knuckles down.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Now you're moving the goal posts mate - the original post referred to foreign players, and most of that lot are officially regarded as English in terms of international qualification.
tbh though I'd forgotten about Finch, and I've never heard of Pillans.
Oh, yeah, I'm not being remotely serious about it.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Somerset

1. Rogers (o)
2. Gayle (o)
3. Myburgh
4. -
5. Allenby
6. Leask
7. van de Merwe
8. Davey
9. Arafat
10. Groenewald
11. -

Shame they got rid of Dockrell/Alfonso/Cooper this season, otherwise you end up with a full XI.

TheJammyTurtle

U19 Cricketer
What do people think of Warwickshires chance for the title this year?Should have Woakes and Bell for most if not the whole year.Look pretty good value to me at 6/1.Yorkshire look a bit short at 7/4,especially if they lose Ballance to England.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What do people think of Warwickshires chance for the title this year?Should have Woakes and Bell for most if not the whole year.Look pretty good value to me at 6/1.Yorkshire look a bit short at 7/4,especially if they lose Ballance to England.
Also Trott, yeah it's not a bad bet, with the likes of Hain coming through.

91Jmay

International Coach
Chopra
Westwood
Bell
Trott
Hain
Ambrose
Woakes
Clarke
Patel
Wright
Rankin

should be our first XI this year. Very strong, although have to say it is on the old side so the window could be close over next few seasons. Need to get over the hump and win it.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
NOt sure Warwickshire have the bowling depth that most other first division counties have. Strong first xi but not convinced Jones, Hannon-Dolby and Gordon are really good enough back up especially as Rankin, Wright, Woakes tend to pick up a few injuries (or int callups in Woakes' case).

Batting looks strong. Chopra I'd expect with having relinquished the captaincy to start scoring runs again and Trott would have had a little more mental preparation for the season (as opposed to last year coming of the end of his internaitonal career) so expect better output from him.

91Jmay

International Coach
Barker is a pretty good back up seamer but yeah the others are a little thin. Gordon/H-D are primarily our limited overs bowlers which is a plus as it means the first class guys can be rotated/rested.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't stop them last season and doubt it will this, strongest bowling attack and plenty of good options in the batting.

Warwickshire have a chance but bowling isn't strong enough.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Barker is a pretty good back up seamer but yeah the others are a little thin. Gordon/H-D are primarily our limited overs bowlers which is a plus as it means the first class guys can be rotated/rested.
tbh I didn't realise you hadn't put Barker in that team. I think he definitely plays when he's fit. Good new ball bowler, makes rough for jeetan and good lower order bat.

I think I probably like middlesex and notts a touch more than warwickshire to challenge yorkshire for the championship. Both got 7 or 8 good seamers and decent batting. Seems to be a bit of a stasis at warwickshire these last few years with no players really bursting through since Hain and as you say it's an ageing team.

Warwickshire probably should produce fairly flat wickets that turn at home imo. Pile on the runs and then hope that Jeetan outclasses the opposition spinner.

The biggest unknown issue surely is the change in rules in the toss. Might to be of benefit of the teams with good spin bowlers. We'll have to see how it turns out.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah stasis is a very fair criticism, we haven't really got any major prospects coming through aside from Hain either. Bit worrying really, although it has never been a thing we've built success on. Generally done well with reclamation projects from other countries. It isn't a major cricket playing area.

Tom Flint

International Regular
Middlesex should do well again this year, we've got voges for the first half of the season and hopefully Finn can play a few games for us before England's season starts.
Warwickshire have a great squad I expect trott and bell to score massively and they won't be going on intl duty so the batting should be strong all season. Is Patel a decent overseas? I just think a team hoping to compete with Yorkshire for the title should go all out and sign a top class overseas, (a seamer in warwickshire's case.)

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Season has rather crept up on me this year. Division one looks strong, would be delighted if Hampshire stay up again. The bowling attack is miles better than the one that started last year, hope Crane plays from the start.

91Jmay

International Coach
Middlesex should do well again this year, we've got voges for the first half of the season and hopefully Finn can play a few games for us before England's season starts.
Warwickshire have a great squad I expect trott and bell to score massively and they won't be going on intl duty so the batting should be strong all season. Is Patel a decent overseas? I just think a team hoping to compete with Yorkshire for the title should go all out and sign a top class overseas, (a seamer in warwickshire's case.)
Patel was one of Wisden's cricketers of the year 2 years ago and has been one of the best players in County Champ for years.