• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

comical occurrences in club cricket

Shady Slim

International Coach
hello cricketweb it is i with another "prying in to your cricket life" thread! now i am asking you to name the funniest things you've seen in club games or school games or whatever

mine happened to me in the nets when training, a mate of mine bowls slow mediums and i cleared the front leg to clang him out of the net straight over his head, swung with all my power...

and then the bat careered straight in to the side of my back foot, which had not moved from my stance, on it's way through. full force.

and then i went straight down like a sack of bricks and truth be told probably would have been stumped if it was a game because keeping my feet grounded wasn't my first priority

so how about you, CW?

don't just give us youtube's funniest give us your stories if you can

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A few years ago now there was an England cricketer nicknamed 'plank', on account of his being as thick as two short ones.

My club had a bloke with the same surname. He was cut from a similar cloth as 'plank', but more so, so we called him 'log'

Log was quite a talented cricketer when he turned his mind to it, and was also a public schoolboy and sounded like one - on one occasion we were playing a village team composed mainly of farm workers, who weren't always well disposed to the gentry

Anyway a distinctly quick opening bowler castled our skipper with the first delivery of the match and got another two wickets in that first over.

His opening partner got another one and he started his second over with us something like 2-4 and Log facing his first delivery - he had wandered to the wicket looking, as he often did, like a prize prat - he wore flannels that were probably his grandfather's, those old fashioned gloves with the green spikes and something akin to a Jardinian Harlequin cap on his head

He then took an inordinate amount of time, as he always did, to take guard, addressing the umpire repeatedly as 'old chap' - you need to bear in mind throughout this story that he was genuinely totally ignorant of the fact that he might be winding up the opposition

Now ready Log then did his usual and waved at the bowler barking 'I'm ready now bowler, you can play on'

You might not be surprised to learn that the bowler was spitting feathers by now and unleashed a short one at dear old Log, who deposited it over square leg.

The next delivery was shorter and faster and flew over fine leg's head.

The bowler lost his radar with the third one that bounced high and way past the off stump and off for four byes.

Delivery four was a much better bouncer, and would have taken Log's head off, were it not for the fact Log could bat, which meant it was six more over square leg - it really was an amazing shot - it went past square leg at chest height before the bloke had a chance to move a muscle.

Now Log was a genuinely helpful sort of bloke and as the fuming bowler turned at the end of his run for the fifth ball of the over he waved at him again, a rather silly prissy wave tbh, and said 'bowler, do you mind if I suggest it might be an idea to try pitching it up a bit'

Too ****ing right he minded of course - not much of what the bowler said as he marched towards Log would get through the filter and we had a slight delay as the bowler's teammates, at least those few still able to keep a straight face, tried to calm their man down and keep him away from Log. My lot were all wetting ourselves with laughter - Log had of course done similar things before, but never as well as this and I had the very great pleasure of being the umpire at the bowler's end at the time, so had a grandstand view

Sadly when Log was finally dismissed, for 70 odd, it wasn't the opening bowler who got him. Another of his endearing habits was that whenever he was out he'd go up to the bowler and shake his hand and we were all hoping for another confrontation

Stapel

International Regular
Standing in the gully, I have had the pleasure of watcing the most ridiculous catch, from the closest possible position:

The opponent batsman had edged a ball to where first slip would be. There was a slip, but he was widish. Both keeper and fielder went for it. The keeper got some glove on it, so the ball balooned to the slip fielder's right side, while he was faling to his left side. Sitting on his arse, he managed to kick the ball up in the air, upon which the keeper managed to take it. It was quite amazing!

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Opposition collapsed from 89-1 to 105 all out chasing 107 with comedy run outs and a reverse sweep LBW. So good.

Tom Flint

International Regular
We once played our neighbours (our boundaries are literally ten yards apart) won the toss and elected to bowl. We skittled them for 12 inside 5 overs with a few byes and wides making extras their top scorer. We reversed our batting order and chased it down in 8 balls.

Chubb

International Regular
Seven runs off one ball:

Batsmen take quick single but the keeper misses the throw and they run an overthrow. The fielder backing up throws terribly wide of the keeper and the batsmen steal another run. The THIRD throw goes straight to the bowler, who is so angry he swears loudly and hurls it down into the ground, very hard, and it rolls off down the hill (my old club's pitch was on a pronounced slope) for four runs.

Before anyone asks, yes the local paper contacted the Umpirer's and Scorer's Association or some such and they said this was legally 7 runs.

There was also the time I headed a ball for six trying to take a catch on the boundary (I didn't just knock it over the rope, it went OVER THE FENCE AND INTO THE ROAD) and was lucky not to get a fractured skull.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Probably a you had to be there to find it funny kind of a moment but I was watching the juniors finish their match before the men's match took the field.

Apparently it was a close game. The bowler looked about 12 and had blonde hair. He runs in and skittles the batsman and wins the game.

His team mates try to congratulate him but they can't catch him because the blonde kid is legging it for the mid wicket boundary. It is the one kid sprinting out in front with 10 others determined to catch him. For some reason the scene captures the imagination of the batting team so they rush on the field and join in the pursuit.

Last I saw the kid made it to the street and ran off out of the ground with 21 blokes after him with a few concerned parents yelling things.

Last edited:

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
Probably a you had to be there to find it funny kind of a moment but I was watching the juniors finish their match before the men's match took the field.

Apparently it was a close game. The bowler looked about 12 and had blonde hair. He runs in and skittles the batsman and wins the game.

His team mates try to congratulate him but they can't catch him because the blonde kid is legging it for the mid wicket boundary. It is the one kid sprinting out in front with 10 others determined to catch him. For some reason the scene captures the imagination of the batting team so they rush on the field and join in the pursuit.

Last I saw the kid made it to the street and ran off out of the ground with 21 blokes after him with a few concerned parents yelling things.
Junior (and the more junior the better) cricket can be hilarious.

Last summer I was doing an U10 Tournament. One delivery, my colleague and I decided, produced 5 runs, all run, with the ball never going more than 20 yards from the stumps. One ball, and several kids, flying everywhere.

Sooooo....... many but I'll offer 3 from one game a few years back.

This was for a wandering Sunday team I assisted for a time. It was run by a chap known very affectionately as "Chancer" (a play on his last name). Now Chancer, although looking nothing like him, was very much a Henry Blofeld type of character - very posh and charming but with a sharp, biting and friendly sense of humour.

If, at that time, you met him during the summer he would, after initial pleasantries, ask the question "Do you play cricket?" Should your answer be negative the likely response would be "We have a game on Sunday, do you fancy a go?". Should your reply be (and this did once happen) "Actually I've played 20+ Tests and several ODIs" you would be offered the same deal.

On this day the first story involves the opening batsmen, one of whom played decent Club cricket and Oxford University 2nd XI, the other was a very short chap, under 5ft tall. This was at a very famous old ground, but exposed and, even on a gentle day, quite windy. They'd put on about 50 when the latter was bowled. Now normally when someone is bowled you could, knowing the game, make a fair guess as to why - maybe the ball did something or the batsman made a misjudgement. In this case you couldn't - no clues. As I came off at tea the other batsman beckoned me over with a chuckle. The excuse given was "I was just about to play the ball when a big gust of wind came and blew me over!"

Late in the game, in an attempt to keep the game open, Chancer puts himself on. I suspect he would have been, in a competitive game, a fairly decent leggie. But this is Sunday friendly cricket and he bowls to buy wickets or, as I said, keep the chasing side interested. He bowls from the batting crease, not the popping crease. In his 2nd over he takes a wicket. As he's ambling back I observe "Chancer, you do know you can bowl from that front line?" with a very pained expression he replies "Yes, I know, but it's SUCH a long way!"

Previously in the innings came the best moment. The scheduled number 3 batsman in his team was a Minor Counties player. Because the openers put on over 50 he slides down the order. The batting continues to be on top so, to ensure lesser players have a game he slides further and further down. I think he finally came in for the last couple of overs at 9 or 10. However. in the field he performs to the standards of his best cricket. Excellent all round work including seriously good pick up and throws, dives, sliding pick up and throws in one movement, the whole show. There comes a point when the ball is struck past Chancer at mid on and he sets off in (a successful) chase. You KNOW he's thinking he has got to try and match the minor county player's work. He attempts the slide, a precursor to a hoped for throw in the same movement. He goes down in stages and performs a manoeuvre that can best be described as looking a bit like a swimmers tumble turn. It is not successful. From the prone position an arm comes up and the ball is propelled slowly towards the stumps. Chancer slowly gets to his feet and shakily heads toward his fielding position. You know that everyone on the field and watching is supressing massive laughter - I certainly was. As he gets back to his post I fell I must enquire after his condition "You OK Chancer?" The reply (in a very posh voice) comes back "Well I'm not ****ing doing THAT again!!!!!!" Those within range of that could no longer supress the laughter.......

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
hello cricketweb it is i with another "prying in to your cricket life" thread! now i am asking you to name the funniest things you've seen in club games or school games or whatever

mine happened to me in the nets when training, a mate of mine bowls slow mediums and i cleared the front leg to clang him out of the net straight over his head, swung with all my power...

and then the bat careered straight in to the side of my back foot, which had not moved from my stance, on it's way through. full force.

and then i went straight down like a sack of bricks and truth be told probably would have been stumped if it was a game because keeping my feet grounded wasn't my first priority so how about you, CW?

don't just give us youtube's funniest give us your stories if you can
If the umpire was of the opinion that a serious injury had occurred he would be justified in calling 'dead ball' and you would not have been stumped.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I umpired an U/10Fs final the other week, which featured about 3 or 4 of the Bell/Bresnan/Watson dropped catch run-out scenarios.

Aside from that, the most comical things I've seen would be someone (totally not me :ph34r:) channelling Bob Willis and forgetting to pick up their bat on the way out, people contriving to get hit in the gents in remarkably creative ways, or people (and this one genuinely isn't me) wicketkeeping in short sleeves.

Oh, and the time I came off at drinks, got a resounding speech from the team captain (who is also my father) telling me to bat through the innings, followed by him running me out two overs after the break.

juro

U19 12th Man
I remember one game from my playing days many years ago. I was fielding in at point, where I managed to drop the opposition captain twice in 3 overs, both simple chances. I was then banished to the outfield at deep midwicket, only to catch him the next over, one-handed over my head, falling backwards. The guy didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I was definitely laughing!

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
In juniors, we needed 2 runs to win off the last ball, 1 to tie. The batsman left it.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Five or six years ago. 9 runs needed off the last over, and we're only five wickets down.

First ball I flay for 3. It brings me to my first (and only ever) 50. But there is no time for celebrating - the match is on the line, and admittedly I am too tired to even raise my bat.

Next ball, I back-up, but it's a wicket: bowled. Partner departs for a well-made 30-odd. Given the urgency of the situation, I look to the side hoping for a pinch-hitter, but we get our stand-in captain. He is a decent bat, but definitely no slogger.

Third ball, 6 runs needed. He blocks it. Blocks it. He has no intention of running, and I was backing up something massive, and almost get run-out.

I chat with him, explaining we need 6 runs, now off only 3 balls.

Forth ball, a firm push (and I'm being generous with his intent) to cover, we go for a suicidal single, and make it.

Fifth ball, I hit solidly between cover and mid-off, we run 2.

So it comes down to the last ball. There are 3 runs needed to win, 2 to tie. I am exhausted, and take my time facing up. Just. One. More. Swing.

The bowler runs in.

It's a lovely attempted yorker, but I get a bit on it, and dig it out to the offside. I'm not sure exactly how well I've hit it, but there are runs there. GO PATTO GO

I sprint down the wicket, determined as anything.

...but stand-in captain is not running. After seeing that the ball is not going for four, he has paused a few paces outside his crease, hands-on hips, disappointed.

I yell out his name and blast WHATAREYOUDOING and whack my bat in before turning blind for the second.

He looks at me puzzled as I now overtake him and scream WE CAN STILL TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE

I make it back to the striker's end, but the ball is calmly thrown towards the bowler, who takes off the bails, and stand-in is run-out. The opposing team go wild and celebrate in jubilation. We lose by 2 runs.

Post-match Nate is shattered, and has lost 3 kilos during the innings. I lay on the turf on the side of the ground, as stand-in reviews the scorecard countless times, trying to work out what went wrong...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Same season, and last game of the season. We are bottom of the ladder, with precious little to play for. The other team is looking for a big win to finish somewhere at the top.

I just want to take the most wickets at this point. I want the trophy, and something to cling onto after 12 games of hard work and little reward.

I have 18 wickets for the season, at an average of 15ish. Stand-In has 17, at an average of 25ish. I open the bowling. Stand-In bowls floaty off-spinners.

I bowl steadily, but wicketless in my opening spell.

The opposition are belting stand-in round everywhere, his economy is well over 10. But, he has also taken all 3 poles, taking him to 20 wickets for the season.

After a spell of 3/100+ off less than 10 overs, I finally get told to warm-up

I return to the bowling crease, fire in my belly.

First ball - yorker straight through him! I now have 19 wickets, and am fired up.

Second ball - half-volley, play and a miss, beaten for pace.

Third ball - on a length, outside off, he wisely leaves it.

Fourth ball - EDGED! ...and dropped at slip. By stand-in. Of course. They run one as Nate immediately turns back to his mark. The opposition cheer ironically from the sideline.

Fifth ball coming up, and the batsman on strike is on 50-odd. He's seeing it like a beach ball. I need to try something.

I bowl a shorter one, with all my might... and he deposits me for 6 over midwicket. But that's alright. I have a plan.

Sixth ball, I sprint in, and roar as I release the ball. Except it's a slower-ball. And the batsman has not picked it.

It goes straight up in the air, towards deep mid-off. The plan has worked! I am a genius! I am infinite! I am... no. NO. Mid-off has dropped it. He's dropped it, and it's rolled away for 4.

Furious, I go to grab my hat from the umpire... and the opposition declare. My spell is over. It's all over. They're sending us in, aiming to get us out twice for bonus points. They succeed, as I make 14*, and 0, my first duck of the season.

I sit at the Presentation Night, politely applauding as stand-in collects the Best Bowler Trophy, with 20 wickets at 29. I finish with 19 wickets at 16.

That was my final season of cricket.

vogue

International Vice-Captain
A few years ago now there was an England cricketer nicknamed 'plank', on account of his being as thick as two short ones.

My club had a bloke with the same surname. He was cut from a similar cloth as 'plank', but more so, so we called him 'log'

Log was quite a talented cricketer when he turned his mind to it, and was also a public schoolboy and sounded like one - on one occasion we were playing a village team composed mainly of farm workers, who weren't always well disposed to the gentry

Anyway a distinctly quick opening bowler castled our skipper with the first delivery of the match and got another two wickets in that first over.

His opening partner got another one and he started his second over with us something like 2-4 and Log facing his first delivery - he had wandered to the wicket looking, as he often did, like a prize prat - he wore flannels that were probably his grandfather's, those old fashioned gloves with the green spikes and something akin to a Jardinian Harlequin cap on his head

He then took an inordinate amount of time, as he always did, to take guard, addressing the umpire repeatedly as 'old chap' - you need to bear in mind throughout this story that he was genuinely totally ignorant of the fact that he might be winding up the opposition

Now ready Log then did his usual and waved at the bowler barking 'I'm ready now bowler, you can play on'

You might not be surprised to learn that the bowler was spitting feathers by now and unleashed a short one at dear old Log, who deposited it over square leg.

The next delivery was shorter and faster and flew over fine leg's head.

The bowler lost his radar with the third one that bounced high and way past the off stump and off for four byes.

Delivery four was a much better bouncer, and would have taken Log's head off, were it not for the fact Log could bat, which meant it was six more over square leg - it really was an amazing shot - it went past square leg at chest height before the bloke had a chance to move a muscle.

Now Log was a genuinely helpful sort of bloke and as the fuming bowler turned at the end of his run for the fifth ball of the over he waved at him again, a rather silly prissy wave tbh, and said 'bowler, do you mind if I suggest it might be an idea to try pitching it up a bit'

Too ****ing right he minded of course - not much of what the bowler said as he marched towards Log would get through the filter and we had a slight delay as the bowler's teammates, at least those few still able to keep a straight face, tried to calm their man down and keep him away from Log. My lot were all wetting ourselves with laughter - Log had of course done similar things before, but never as well as this and I had the very great pleasure of being the umpire at the bowler's end at the time, so had a grandstand view

Sadly when Log was finally dismissed, for 70 odd, it wasn't the opening bowler who got him. Another of his endearing habits was that whenever he was out he'd go up to the bowler and shake his hand and we were all hoping for another confrontation
Have you ever thought of writing a book on cricket..would make for good reading...