• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Taskin Ahmed and Arafat Sunny suspended from bowling

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Taskin and Sunny suspended from bowling due to actions

Bangladesh left-arm spinner Arafat Sunny and pacer Taskin Ahmed have been suspended from bowling in international cricket with immediate effect after an independent assessment found their bowling actions to be illegal. Both bowlers underwent assessments in Chennai last week.

Sunny and Taskin were reported for suspect actions during the World T20 match against Netherlands.

The pair returned to the side to play in Bangladesh's first match of the Super 10 stage, against Pakistan at the Eden Gardens, where Sunny took 2 for 34 and Taskin claimed 2 for 32. They can apply for a re-assessment at any stage after modifying their bowling actions. They may be allowed to play in the domestic league, pending the BCB's permission.

The BCB has not named a replacement for yet, but it is likely that either Saqlain Sajib or Sanjamul Islam, both left-arm spinners, may be sent to India immediately for Sunny.

These two are not the first Bangladesh bowlers to be suspended for an illegal action. Offspinner Sohag Gazi was suspended from bowling in October 2014, and he was cleared after a second test in February 2015. Left-arm spinner Abdur Razzak was the first Bangladesh bowler to be suspended, in November 2008, before the ban was lifted in March 2009.

Bangladesh's Taskin Ahmed and Arafat Sunny suspended from bowling due to actions | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, he failed then quickly re-passed.

I dislike the timing; if you have doubts about an action, get them tested and cleared (or remedied) before the major tournament, ffs. And if they don't, allow them to play no part in the tournament.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, he failed then quickly re-passed.

I dislike the timing; if you have doubts about an action, get them tested and cleared (or remedied) before the major tournament, ffs. And if they don't, allow them to play no part in the tournament.
But they reported him during the Netherlands game which is during the tournament.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, but as has been pointed out, all of the officials involved have been officiating Bangladesh games in the past year, that both of them played in. Surely if they had even the slightest concern, they should have brought it up earlier.

I'm not claiming its a conspiracy or anything; if these guys are chucking they shouldn't be playing. I just think these are things that should be dealt with before tournaments, so we're not getting to the middle of the World T20 before binning the chuckers. It kinda undermines the credibility of a tournament when the governing body is going "OH **** THESE GUYS ACTUALLY AREN'T ELIGIBLE TO PLAY" after they've played, what, 5 out of 10-ish possible matches?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
He has been reported earlier and cleared already. He has a special condition due to which a consideration has been made.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, but as has been pointed out, all of the officials involved have been officiating Bangladesh games in the past year, that both of them played in. Surely if they had even the slightest concern, they should have brought it up earlier.

I'm not claiming its a conspiracy or anything; if these guys are chucking they shouldn't be playing. I just think these are things that should be dealt with before tournaments, so we're not getting to the middle of the World T20 before binning the chuckers. It kinda undermines the credibility of a tournament when the governing body is going "OH **** THESE GUYS ACTUALLY AREN'T ELIGIBLE TO PLAY" after they've played, what, 5 out of 10-ish possible matches?
Yeah but there are far too many factors here beyond ICC or any governing body's control. There is a lot of gray in this whole chucking issue than most people realize.

1)The officials during the Asia Cup or during Bangaldesh's home series throughout 2015 are not necessarily the same as the officials during the Netherlands game. The action might have been problematic to some, and fine to others.

2) The human bowling action itself is not a constant. It changes. It is quite possible that even if the officials were the same, Taskin's action was fine before, and during that game, he might have done something different, or had a niggle or a host of different factors. So it's possible they didn't have concerns before, but they do now. What do you do about that?

Yes, if someone is reported before the tournament, then we can by all means have them disqualified before the tournament.

The other problem now for Bangladesh is that they have to find 2 replacement bowlers in a very short span of time. This is why I feel that if a bowler has been reported during the tournament, he should be allowed to complete the tournament, simply because of logistical factors. Bangladesh now have to find two replacement bowlers, make visa and travel arrangements, and have them ready before a crucial game within a day or two. And this time, the travel between Bangladesh and India is short. But what if this tournament was taking place in a different continent? What about long flights? Jet lags? This puts the team in an unfairly vulnerable position before a crucial match.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah but there are far too many factors here beyond ICC or any governing body's control. There is a lot of gray in this whole chucking issue than most people realize.

1)The officials during the Asia Cup or during Bangaldesh's home series throughout 2015 are not necessarily the same as the officials during the Netherlands game. The action might have been problematic to some, and fine to others.

2) The human bowling action itself is not a constant. It changes. It is quite possible that even if the officials were the same, Taskin's action was fine before, and during that game, he might have done something different, or had a niggle or a host of different factors. So it's possible they didn't have concerns before, but they do now. What do you do about that?

Yes, if someone is reported before the tournament, then we can by all means have them disqualified before the tournament.

The other problem now for Bangladesh is that they have to find 2 replacement bowlers in a very short span of time. This is why I feel that if a bowler has been reported during the tournament, he should be allowed to complete the tournament, simply because of logistical factors. Bangladesh now have to find two replacement bowlers, make visa and travel arrangements, and have them ready before a crucial game within a day or two. And this time, the travel between Bangladesh and India is short. But what if this tournament was taking place in a different continent? What about long flights? Jet lags? This puts the team in an unfairly vulnerable position before a crucial match.
Nah. Ideally it should be weeded out before the world cup. Actually most of the suspect action should be weeded out at club and first class level. However, chucking should be avoided once found out regardless of where it is found out. I feel for Taskin here as he is a promising bowler and most of his deliveries look clean. I hope he remodels the delivery they have issues with and comes back stronger.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Good news is Taskin's stock deliveries and yorkers are all legit. They found problems with the bouncers (3 out of 9 were off limit) as per the report. So he does not need to completely remodel or something. I am sure he will work with his action regarding the bouncers with Heath Streak and will come back soon after restesting.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Meh, if found guilty of chucking, teams can suffer (for all logistical reasons).:sleep:
Exactly. If a player's action is dubious me they insist on picking him then it's their choice. Personally I'd argue against them being allowed to replace the players anyway, they're not injured.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
If only his bouncers are illegal, is there a situation where can be allowed to bowl his normal stock deliveries, but banned from bowling the bouncer?

cnerd123

likes this
They allowed an offspinner to keep bowling without his offbreak, so I don't see why not.

This is so shambolic from the ICC. Calling them during the tournament and not before when they had a ton of opportunities to do so, and banning them with such a quick turnaround time when usually bowlers get months before testing. And that too off such flimsy evidence against Taskin. And bowlers like Al Amin and Finn are still allowed to bowl, despite looking infinitely worse to the naked eye.

Absolutely bizarre.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If only his bouncers are illegal, is there a situation where can be allowed to bowl his normal stock deliveries, but banned from bowling the bouncer?
It's not as easy as saying he chucks the bouncer, is it? He probably chucks a few of the shorter balls which he puts more effort into. How to determine which short balls he puts more effort into and which short balls he puts less effort into. It is far easier to outlaw a bowler from bowling a doosra. I do hope the ICC didn't state that it is only the bouncers which he chucks because that would be just weird and wrong.

DriveClub

International Regular
It's not as easy as saying he chucks the bouncer, is it? He probably chucks a few of the shorter balls which he puts more effort into. How to determine which short balls he puts more effort into and which short balls he puts less effort into. It is far easier to outlaw a bowler from bowling a doosra. I do hope the ICC didn't state that it is only the bouncers which he chucks because that would be just weird and wrong.
Fully agree, this is all a joke tbh, only make high profile bans while a WC is going on and let chuckers like finn, harbajan roam free, I mean how is harbajan not been tested yet under these new testing protocols not that he has any cricket left in him. I'd certainly say Bumrah is a bit suspect as well.