• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Taskin Ahmed and Arafat Sunny suspended from bowling

indiaholic

International Captain
No issues with the 15 number. Sports is entirely built on an arbitrary set of rules. Huge problems with the secrecy.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Why is the crease 1.2m from the stumps, not 1.25? Why are stumps 78cm high, not 80cm? Why is a ball 156g, not 160g? Why is an over 6 balls, not 7? Why is driving at 71km/h a crime, but 70km/h is fine? Why is 0.050 ok, but 0.051 isn't?

"It's arbitrary" is such a **** argument against something. Every figure is as arbitrary as any other, but you need a benchmark to measure this kind of thing by.

And I've never said that we shouldn't be concerned by the bowlers who have been banned. I mean, guys like SenanananananananananaBATMANyake and Ajmal were so far above the degree threshold that I doubt they'd pass with any methodology, but of course we should be concerned that guys who have been banned have been banned unfairly. Especially when the stakes for these blokes are huge.

The process needs to be transparent, above reproach, and scientifically accurate. It is neither of the former two, and we can't tell anything about the latter because of the lack of transparency.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
That's fine but it was not originally 15 though. All the arbitrary figures you mentioned have not changed to suit us. This figure was changed to suit us at a certain point. So that's what begs the question, why not now.

Anyway, that isn't the argument though. If we have decided that it is 15, I accept it. I just pointed out what problem I have personally with the system. But I accept the system decided by everyone else even if I personally might not agree with some of it's principles.

The difference is that I accept all the decisions now..so the decision to clear Al Amin is just as valid as the decision to ban Hafeez and ban Taskin.

We can't pick and choose which bowlers we think were unfairly banned and which bowlers weren't based on our personal preferences (biases). That's what I am saying. If the system is unfair, it is unfair for everyone and if it is fair, then it is fair for everyone. If a legal system is found to have a problem, then that questions the credibility of every decision made by that legal system, not just the ones that suit us.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
They also banned Marlon Samuels from his quicker ball. It's strange they didn't ban Taskin from bouncers only till he gets his action remedied considering how much easier it is to police a bowler going short than it is bowling fast.
Easy in principle, but it strikes me as a bit tricky in practice. One does a ball become a bouncer? Shoulder height? Chest height? And that's setting aside the fact that a bouncer for someone like Kane Williamson is going to be very different to a lanky prick like Mitch Marsh.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
The difference is that I accept all the decisions now..so the decision to clear Al Amin is just as valid as the decision to ban Hafeez and ban Taskin.

We can't pick and choose which bowlers we think were unfairly banned and which bowlers weren't based on our personal preferences (biases). That's what I am saying. If the system is unfair, it is unfair for everyone and if it is fair, then it is fair for everyone.
I've literally never suggested anything different to what you're saying here. Of course it goes both ways.

The. Process. Is. ****.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Easy in principle, but it strikes me as a bit tricky in practice. One does a ball become a bouncer? Shoulder height? Chest height? And that's setting aside the fact that a bouncer for someone like Kane Williamson is going to be very different to a lanky prick like Mitch Marsh.
Well they set the precedent by determining only that kind of delivery was a problem. If it notably changes his action then there must be perimeters that it fits they can identify.

I'm fine with them not allowing the Samuels sort of situation occur, and banning them until they pass the tests. But the precedent is there.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, of course it's tricky in practice. But I think the point Athlai is making is that it's significantly less tricky to define 'bouncer' for a quick bowler in real-time on the field, than it is to define 'quicker ball' for Marlon Samuels in real-time on the field. I mean, for the latter, is the standing umpire getting bowling speeds fed to him via the earpiece ("Look Nigel, that last ball was 101.9km/h, which is above the agreed limit for Marlon's normal speed. Retroactively call it no-ball, please.")?

If they claimed to be able to adequately police the latter, I see no reason why they wouldn't similarly claim to be able to police the former.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
No issues with the 15 number. Sports is entirely built on an arbitrary set of rules. Huge problems with the secrecy.
The secrecy is indeed frustrating.

The Marlon Samuels situation was terrible, quite frankly. He still chucks whenever his team is under the pump.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah; the Samuels quicker ball was actually an entirely different delivery. A bouncer is just a ball delivered at a different length, however this fact in itself makes me really doubt the entire process when it came to Taskin's testing. I don't think they were out to get him or that there was some grand conspiracy, but I think it's shown up that the process isn't always very good and should be looked at.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The secrecy is indeed frustrating.

The Marlon Samuels situation was terrible, quite frankly. He still chucks whenever his team is under the pump.
Samuels has been banned from bowling entirely since the original issue with the quicker ball.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I've literally never suggested anything different to what you're saying here. Of course it goes both ways.

The. Process. Is. ****.
I wasn't exactly arguing with you. Sometimes thoughts come across as more argumentative in written form than you intend to.

My original point was, that if Al Amin has been cleared, we should respect the decision and stop calling him a filthy chucker.

Last edited:

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally I have a problem with the way the whole thing plays out, which includes as you said, no publicly available data. Plus I also have a problem with the whole 15 degree thing. Why 15? Why not 14? or 16? 15 is as arbitrary a figure as any other.

Degrees of guilt | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
That article is over a decade old. Virtually none of it is true any more.

And the 15 degree wasn't wholly arbitrary. It was a pragmatic decision, based on lab testing, that the the advantages gained by most players below that tolerance were negligible. The line had to be set somewhere.

I've made my thoughts on the current regime of secrecy and, frankly, misappropriation of the available research clear in other threads.

EDIT: on that, it's actually a fair question whether the 15 degree threshold remains appropriate. Bruce Elliott himself said it was a step in the right direction, the implication being that it's not an entirely settled issue and required more research. But hey, now the ICC have locked up the whole process and taken the research out of the public realm (assuming they're even doing any at all, let alone anything worth ****-all), guess we'll never know. Honestly, a cricketer in a position of being reported and maybe not subsequently cleared, first thing I'd be doing afterward is looking for a lawyer to sue the ICC because they'd probably win.

Last edited:

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
It's not as easy as saying he chucks the bouncer, is it? He probably chucks a few of the shorter balls which he puts more effort into. How to determine which short balls he puts more effort into and which short balls he puts less effort into. It is far easier to outlaw a bowler from bowling a doosra. I do hope the ICC didn't state that it is only the bouncers which he chucks because that would be just weird and wrong.
Apparently his fater bouncers were OK. The three slowest bouncers were illegal.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Great news. Taskin has been playing domestic cricket in between and performing good so dont see a problem if hes been included straight away for Afghanistan and England series. About Sunny I think he needs to play and perform in domestic with remodelled action beforebeing considered