• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Associates and former Associates Draft thread.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm thinking of one last draft before I stop.

So, it's an associates draft. Basically any country that was at a world cup before they got test status should qualify as an associate in my book.

So any player to ever represent Sri Lanka, Zimbabwe, Bangladesh and every other current non test nation obviously. With the inclusion of these 3 countries it'l at least mean there will be a bunch of great players available before we're down to the good players... and before we're finally down to the duds in the later rounds.

I'm thinking 8-10 people

HeathDavisSpeed

And we weren't down to duds in the last round by just including SL, Zim and Bang players prior to them receiving test status.

Camo999

State 12th Man
Oh yeah! That last one was a great draft. Just taken a look back - my team was a ripper in terms of cult figures - possibly at the expense of performance. I'm up for this one for sure. Maybe max of one player per country allowed to make it more difficult?

mr_mister

And we weren't down to duds in the last round by just including SL, Zim and Bang players prior to them receiving test status.

so anyone who played for Zim, SL and Bang prior to test status is allowed, but anyone who debuted after those dates is not allowed?

What about someone like Grant Flower who was instrumental in helping Zim get test status, but didn't actually play an ODI for his country til after he had played a test

Seems like it might result in some grey areas

HeathDavisSpeed

I would think if this is a first class draft, then you exclude people that made their Test debut after the team gained Test status. But also, you should only take into account their record before that date.

From the draft I ran, theoretically Andy Flower was eligible, but no one picked him because it would be obvious that it rorted the system, but also his record pre-Test era wasn't as exceptional as his record would become.

I think I set out some specific criteria for the previous draft to make the eligibility quite clear. Maybe have a look at that and adjust where you want to.

mr_mister

I was thinking of making it an ODI draft since so many of the current associate players I only know through their limited overs stuff