• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank Ranjitsinhji, Duleepsinhji, Hazare and Merchant as batsmen.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indisputably the 4 best pre WW2 Indian batsmen(i'll look foolish if I'm forgetting someone) but how do they stack up against each other?

Interested in discussion as I don't hear these guys talked about too often here, but all 4 have remarkable FC and test stats

the big bambino

International Captain
Would also consider Pataudi and Mushtaq Ali (as outsiders though). Probably rate the 4 mentioned in the order you placed them. In doing so I'm making a big allowance for the what if factor regarding Duleep.

fredfertang

There is an interesting piece in this year's Wisden India that reproduces an essay that Merchant wrote in 1977 comparing himself and Sunny Gavaskar (who was then just six years into his international career) - he expresses the view that Sunny was a better batsman than him his main point being that he (Merchant) couldn't tell an inswinger from an outswinger or a leg break from a googly whereas Sunny could - my only thought was what his stats would look like if he had been able to

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
There is an interesting piece in this year's Wisden India that reproduces an essay that Merchant wrote in 1977 comparing himself and Sunny Gavaskar (who was then just six years into his international career) - he expresses the view that Sunny was a better batsman than him his main point being that he (Merchant) couldn't tell an inswinger from an outswinger or a leg break from a googly whereas Sunny could - my only thought was what his stats would look like if he had been able to
He probably just watched the ball and hit it, rather than worrying about whether it was swinging in or out....

G.I.Joe

International Coach
wikipedia said:
Jam Saheb Shri Sir Ranjitsinhji
So what they're saying is that he was a combination of Dravid and Jadeja*

*Sir Jadeja, not the match fixer who, IIRC is actually related to the Ranji-Duleep family.

mr_mister

is this daft for the sake of it today? Hazare started playing FC cricket well before the war and Ranji and Duleep were both born in India. Representing a different country at test level doesn't change that

mr_mister

lol nobody would have said **** if I compared just Duleep to Ranji or Merchant to Hazare.

I decided I liked all 4 players, I found a connection, so I threw all 4 in together. If you have a problem leave the thread instead of carrying on like a baby

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It's weird. Ranji never played a match on Indian soil afaik. They share a race. How about comparing Ish Sodhi, Ashwin, Dipak Patel and Monty Panesar..

mr_mister

because I could add 50 other peers to that list of players you just named?

Where as with my example, of Indian ATG Batsman from the olden days, there's nobody else to really include is there

watson

Banned
Here is a brief look at Duleep batting with Woolley in that 2nd Test at Lords. Note Woolley's straight drive off the fast bowler Tim Wall!

Last edited:

mr_mister

not to mention Ranji and Duleep played all their tests before India as a country ever played one

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Another aspect - they played many years apart and batsmanship in the time of Ranji and the time of Hazare were quite different. How can you compare Hobbs and Grace, say.