• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank Ranjitsinhji, Duleepsinhji, Hazare and Merchant as batsmen.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I dunno but I see players from different generations compared all the damn time here

Look, perhaps I should have at least made separate threads for Duleep/Ranji and the Vijays, but I've already been accused of making too many thread so I tried to be efficient and kill two birds with one stone

I only even found out about these 4 players last year when I signed up for this site and heard them mentioned, and I've enjoyed reading about them all. Wanted to discuss them and thought this would be the best way

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Comparing impact definitely makes sense. Merchant, Ranji, Hazare, Duleep in that order for impact. Merchant was huge even though he didn't play a lot of tests. Ranji had an impact on early players in the sense that they thought they can do it if Ranji can. Hazare reminds me very much of Dravid some how. For impact don't forget Mushtaq Ali who was a big hitter who was extremely popular.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I dunno but I see players from different generations compared all the damn time here

Look, perhaps I should have at least made separate threads for Duleep/Ranji and the Vijays, but I've already been accused of making too many thread so I tried to be efficient and kill two birds with one stone

I only even found out about these 4 players last year when I signed up for this site and heard them mentioned, and I've enjoyed reading about them all. Wanted to discuss them and thought this would be the best way
It's fine. No need to be so defensive. Not attacking you at all..

the big bambino

International Captain
He was too old by the time India played their maiden test but Deodhar was probably India's first batsman of class. He has a trophy named after him in Indian domestic cricket and reached his final century in 1992 before passing away the following year.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Glad that Nayudu & Deodhar finally got a mention. I believe that as far as impact goes, Nayudu's efforts cannot be ignored.

In 1926, whilst representing the first-class team 'Hindus', Nayudu scored 153 against a touring MCC team in Bombay. In total he hit eleven 6s & thirteen fours, batting for a total of 115 minutes. Nayudu first arrived at the crease in the morning session with his team tottering at 84-3 & from there he carried his team to 154-6 by lunch - with Nayudu himself reaching 50. Once the news of this unprecedented assault on the MCC bowlers spread throughout Bombay & when Nayudu & his batting partner resumed for the afternoon session, every rooftop around the ground & way off into the distance had been commandeered. Nayudu continued to bludgeon the MCC bowlers - Maurice Tate, RES Wyatt, George Geary, Ewart Astill & GS Boyes - smashing them into and beyond the pavilion to the delight of the crowd who had never seen such feats on Indian soil before.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
It's weird. Ranji never played a match on Indian soil afaik.
Checking Wikipedia: "Ranjitsinhji travelled extensively throughout India, trying to build support among the princes and local officials, and received an enthusiastic reception from the public wherever he went. He also spent time with his mother and family in Sarador. He played plenty of cricket during his visit, with mixed success. Although he scored 257 in one game, in another he failed to score in either innings, the only time this happened to him in any form of cricket."

This seems to be the only scorecard from the visit on cricketarchive.