• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Never captained a Test draft

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Farohk Engineer to finish my side off. Enjoyed this draft, thanks jimmy

Red Hill XI

Justin Langer
Ian Redpath
David Boon
Mark Waugh
Keith Miller (3) *
Kane Williamson
Farohk Engineer +
Trevor Bailey (5)
Hugh Tayfield (4)
Michael Holding (1)
Jeff Thomson (2)

Pretty happy with this. Solid opening pair in Redpath and Langer, both gritty and underrated. Then the toughness of Boon at #3. Waugh and Miller (Miller must bat at 5, and Waugh at 4) provide the middle order silk along with Williamson batting out of position but he'd do it comfortably. Lower middle order is strong with Bailey and Engineer very competent bats who opened the batting at times. Pace bowling is brutal and god help the opposition openers facing up to Thommo and Whispering Death. Miller comes on at first change and bowls short wicket taking bursts while Bailey does the stock bowling. Tayfield rounds out the attack, an under appreciated cricketer who took over 4 wickets per test and was incredibly economical. Tayfield and Engineer would form a formidable partnership on day 5.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, why not, I'll take him...

Skipperless XI

1. David Warner
2. Herschelle Gibbs
3. Robin Smith
4. Colin Bland
5. Clyde Walcott +
6. Adam Voges
7. Clive Rice (4) (c)
8. Mike Procter (1)
9. Curtly Ambrose (3)
10. Sylvester Clarke (2)
11. Erapalli Prasanna (5)

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Jeff Dujon.

Final team:

Sid (SG) Barnes
Matthew Hayden
Bill Edrich (6)
Patsy Hendren
Dean Jones
Eddie Barlow* (5)
Jeff Dujon+
Wilfred Rhodes (4)
Harold Larwood (1)
Fred Trueman (3)
Sydney (SF) Barnes (2)

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Maurice Tate

Learie Constantine to captain and play a Darren Sammy type role(I was unaware his test batting/bowling stats were so... unimpressive)

Final XI

Victor Trumper *
Vijay Merchant
Maurice Leyland
Damian Martyn
Darryl Cullinan
Les Ames +
Maurice Tate (3)
Learie Constantine (4) *
Malcolm Marshall (1)
Clarrie Grimmett (5)
Alan Donald (2)

Last edited:

AldoRaine18

State Vice-Captain
With a pace attack of McGrath, Pollock and Davidson, I'll take the Aussie keeper who kept for Lillee and Thommo - Rod Marsh.

Aldo XI

01. Sir Conrad Hunte
02. Dennis Amiss
03. Stan McCabe [6]
04. AW Nourse* [5]
05. Graham Thorpe
06. VVS Laxman
07. Rod Marsh+
08. Alan Davidson [3]
09. Peter Pollock [2]
10. Jim Laker [4]
11. Glenn McGrath [1]

Hunte and Amiss complement each other well, one being the steady rock at the start of the innings with the other playing his strokes. They are followed by McCabe whose talents are tailor made for making a spectacular number 3, capable of handling all situations well. His stylish stroke play will be followed by the dogged Saffer AW Nourse, who is also captaining the team. The middle order is completed by the ever reliable Graham Thorpe and the rescuing expert VVS. Marsh, Davo and Pollock all capable of adding a decent tally.

Bowling will be opened by the legendary duo of McGrath and Pollock, who again complement each other, with one holding the line from one end and Pollock bringing in the pace and hostility from the other. Following them would be Davidson, who'll continue his tight, economic approach and provide the left arm variation. Laker takes over the spin department, will bowl long spells and will be supported by Nourse and McCabe.

Please use this for the voting thread. Good luck to all.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Fred Spofforth

and with that I secure 4 of the top 11 bowlers in terms of bowling averages given a criteria of at least 40 test wickets. Loving it. Full side and detailed write up coming up tomorrow around this time.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Jack Cowie

1. Stewie Dempster
2. Eric Rowan
3. Martin Donnelly
4. Denis Compton
5. Seymour Nurse
6. Jack Gregory
7. John Waite
8. Charlie Turner
9. Dale Steyn
10. Jack Cowie
11. Muttiah Muralitharan

I'm very happy with the bowling attack, particularly with Gregory as the fifth bowler, but the batting lineup leaves a bit to be desired. I suspect many teams will be a bit the same with batsmen being made captain more often.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Ian Ronald Bell

Ronald XI

1. Jack 'Ronald' Hobbs
2. Simon 'Ronald' Katich
3. KS 'Ronald' Ranjitsinhji
4. Doug 'Ronald' Walters
5. Ian Ronald Bell (c)
6. Thilan 'Ronald' Samaraweera
7. Alan 'Ronald' Knott
8. Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha 'Ronald' Chaminda Vaas
9. Wes 'Ronald' Hall
10. Bill 'Ronald' O'Reilly
11. James 'Ronald' Anderson

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Excellent. Thanks everyone for participating & making this an enjoyable draft. In the end we got some pretty varied teams which should make for an interesting result. We'll just wait for HB to post his final team & then I'll create the poll. Good luck everybody.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Honest Hunks

Barry Richards - RHB - 590 runs @ 73
Bob Cowper (6) - LHB - OS - 2061 runs @ 47, 36 wkts @ 32
Eddie Paynter - LHB - RM - 1540 runs @ 59
Joe Root (c) (7) - RHB - OS - 3406 runs @ 55, 12 wkts @ 51
Mominul Haque (8) - LHB - SLA - 1456 runs @ 56
Aubrey Faulkner (5) - RHB - LS - 1754 runs @ 41, 82 wkts @ 27
Pieter Van Der Bijl (wk) - RHB - 460 runs @ 51
Billy Bates (4) - RHB - OS - 656 runs @ 27, 50 wkts @ 16
JJ Ferris (2) - LHB - LF - 114 runs @ 9, 61 wkts @ 13
Fred Spofforth (1) - RHB - RFM - 217 runs @ 9 , 94 wkts @ 18
George Lohmann (3) - RHB - RMF - 213 rusn @ 9, 112 wkts @ 11

A great opener and a very good opener who is also a good bowler, 3-5 all averaging above 55 in tests, a keeper averaging 50+, an ATG all rounder in FAulkner, a capable #8 and a great offie in Bates, and a seam attack where all bowlers average less than 19, this side will rock. :) Only issue I feel this side has is that 9, 10 and jack all average 9 with the bat. But otherwise, awesome. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Honest Hunks

Barry Richards - RHB - 590 runs @ 73
Bob Cowper (6) - LHB - OS - 2061 runs @ 47, 36 wkts @ 32
Eddie Paynter - LHB - RM - 1540 runs @ 59
Joe Root (c) (7) - RHB - OS - 3406 runs @ 55, 12 wkts @ 51
Mominul Haque (8) - LHB - SLA - 1456 runs @ 56
Aubrey Faulkner (5) - RHB - LS - 1754 runs @ 41, 82 wkts @ 27
Pieter Van Der Bijl (wk) - RHB - 460 runs @ 51
Billy Bates (4) - RHB - OS - 656 runs @ 27, 50 wkts @ 16
JJ Ferris (2) - LHB - LF - 114 runs @ 9, 61 wkts @ 13
Fred Spofforth (1) - RHB - RFM - 217 runs @ 9 , 94 wkts @ 18
George Lohmann (3) - RHB - RMF - 213 rusn @ 9, 112 wkts @ 11

A great opener and a very good opener who is also a good bowler, 3-5 all averaging above 55 in tests, a keeper averaging 50+, an ATG all rounder in FAulkner, a capable #8 and a great offie in Bates, and a seam attack where all bowlers average less than 19, this side will rock. :) Only issue I feel this side has is that 9, 10 and jack all average 9 with the bat. But otherwise, awesome. :)