• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ever Associate bowler

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking at the Afghan bowling lineup gives me goosebumps. Hamid Hasan ambles and delivers at 145k. Dawlat Zadran is smooth and hits 145k regularly. The 17 year old spinner, Rishad Khan, bows top-spinners and googlies more than leggies and carries a lot of mystery.

Who do you think the best Associate bowler is / was?

From SL it is a toss between TB Kehelgamuwa and Daya Sahabandu. Kehel was very quick and had the distinction of sending boycotts stumps in a cartwheel in first over. Sahabandhu was local Underwood, bit slower but spun it twice much as Underwood.

Traicos and Rankin are others I could think of.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Collins Obuya and Asif Karim looked great for Kenya in 2003.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Thomas Odoyo, Martin Suji along with Obuya and Karim were very good for Keyna, Johnston, Rankin and Dockrell for Ireland. Back when Bangladesh were starting out, Rafique was impressive who went on to become their main spinner during their early years.

But there's an x factor about the Afghan bowlers. Shapoor is another favourite of mine along with those two you mentioned.
And the 17 year old leg spinner looks an exciting prospect.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Had he been English, which obviously he wasn't, I'm sure Ole Mortensen would've been capped by England in the 80s

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I remember reading good things about Van Meekeren, of Netherlands, a few years ago. Glad he showcased his talent today. There's also another upcoming Dutch bowler, Vivian Kingma. I think he's in this World T20 squad but I don't think he was given any games. Sucks that these guys probably won't get to develop further and beyond to what they deserve.

Afghanistan's bowlers are probably the best unit at the moment. It's like, if one fails then they have 4 other bowlers who will potentially pick up the wickets. That's what's great about the team throughout this t20 tournament, nearly every player has contributed in someway shape or form.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Dirk Nannes is probably the best on second thought, but i really do think Dawlat has all the skills to be the best once his career is over.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I remember reading good things about Van Meekeren, of Netherlands, a few years ago. Glad he showcased his talent today. There's also another upcoming Dutch bowler, Vivian Kingma. I think he's in this World T20 squad but I don't think he was given any games. Sucks that these guys probably won't get to develop further and beyond to what they deserve.
Young Dutch players do have the obvious option of playing county cricket as local players if they're talented enough to do so, tbf. Van Meekeren looks good enough at 23 to attract interest, to me.

Chubb

International Regular
Peter Rawson was supposed to be pretty good.

I don't think you can really count Nannes - try to limit these things to associate-developed players - so I'd go with Hamid Hassan.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Think Dawlat is quite conclusively better than Hamid now, based on both skill level and consistency. Not that Hamid isn't a good bowler, just Dawlat has a bit more going for him.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Andre van Troost was the quickest, probably the one least likely to be on the field too. Possibly not best though.

Paul-Jan Bakker had a decent county career.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
What's most impressive about the Afghan bowling attack is the fact that they not the their competetive cricket history is not even a decade old. And this bowling attack is a lot better than the test bowling attacks Bangladesh had in the early part of the 00s.