• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shahid Afridi's final international tournament in Pakistani Colours. Tributes?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Where is Pakistani team ranked in ODI without him at the moment?

he also won Pakistan the world cup in 2009? what do you think of that.

Didn't he take that team to 2011 world cup quarter final with 22 wickets as he was the highest wicket taker on that world cup? .. Not to forget.. took pak team to final in 2007 20 twenty world cup?
I think he's over rated. He's been playing for over 15 years and tbh he hasn't consistently produced the goods at all. You can sound out a few good matches or series over that time, but that doesn't make him a champion player imo. He bats like he's been lobotomised. I know he's played a few decent knocks, but Mark Butcher played a classic test knock vs Australia in 2001 as well. Doesn't make him a gun.

Afridi is a myth imo.

Welcome to CW btw.

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
ABDV can score 31- ball century, Coriander can score 36- ball century but this, ladies and gents, is unbeatable. This is the best knock everrrrrrrr

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
My all time favourite Pakistani cricketer, just for the excitement and entertainment factor he brought into the field. Wasim Akram comes close.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the main issue is that there are two kinds of radically opposite reactions to Afridi the cricketer - there's the Afridians(Afridiots) who obviously consider him the greatest cricketer to have ever walked on this planet and they will generally talk about his 37 ball century, or the 45 ball one against Mohali, or the various cameo knocks he played, including the Asia Cup 2014, or his major contribution in WorldT20 2009.

The other reaction is from the general cricket fan who is not amused by a career average of 23 and the sheer inconsistency, lack of game awareness, unreliability and the lack of any growth or development as a player over a 20 year career.

These are not necessarily unfounded concerns..but the problem though is, it is looking at Afridi through the lenses of an Afridian whose days are spent reminiscing about those sixes.

I have started looking at Afridi the bowler from around 05, I think it was the India series in 2005 where I thought he was very impressive. Since then I have actually seen him grow as a bowler and become one of the more potent spinners in ODI cricket. He was the highest wicket taker in 2011 World Cup and had a great overall tournament. It's incredible if you follow his bowling, you will find him demonstrate a thinking brain because he works out batsmen, he works on deliveries, he makes adjustments, he shows that he learns - all qualities sadly missing from his batting.

But the problem here though is Afridi himself - not surprisingly. He overstayed his welcome, played for too long and his bowling in the last 2 years or so had considerably declined. And then when people see him carrying on playing as a passenger in the side, it's hard to make a case for him.

He should have retired after the World T20 2014 which was about 2 years ago. He had just led Pakistan to glory over India in Asia Cup a month before and it would have been a great time to leave on a high. His bowling was starting to go down around that time and that would have given Pakistan a year before 2015 World Cup to find a decent replacement. His bowling in the last World Cup was dreadful to say the least.

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King
he is probably the oldest from the 90s. I think Shoaib Malik and Til dil also made their debuts in the 90s

Daemon

How old do people reckon he really is? He seems to have gone from about 25 to 30 when he should have gone from 16 to 36.
I think he's got himself into some next level doping where he's gained anti aging powers in exchange for mental growth and development.

Daemon

Was apparently born in 'Khyber Agency', which definitely sounds like some sort of lab.

Think I might be on to something here.

thierry henry

International Coach
how tall is he though?
This is a pretty easy one. Afridi is about 5'11", if not he's a fraction less. I've seen Younis Khan up close and personal and he was basically my height or possibly a fraction taller and he's also basically the same height as Afridi. He's listed 5'11" which seems accurate enough. Afridi is listed 182cm but that seems generous. He is shorter than Waqar Younis who as I reported from a recent sighting is under 6 foot.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He could have won a World Cup on Indian soil in the greatest troll of all time.

But the great man Misbah ****ed him. :laugh: