• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Thank You UWA!!

Just a few week back i was slagged off for questioning the credibility of University of western Australia.I accepted some members views on it and immediately appologized.

But guess what? The so called experts of the same university has given clearance to another Pakistani chucker in Shabbir Ahmad.According to initial reports the experts have siad that there is "nothing major wrong with his action". So another chucker is on his way.

Nothing against this university, but i wonder why do we have umpires on the field to check bowlers action if this university can override the umpires verdict?????

I suggest University of Western Australia should open a campus in Karachi and Lahore so that each and every new pakistani bowler gets a certificate of approval before he makes his test debut.

Does anyone agrees?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
Nothing against this university, but i wonder why do we have umpires on the field to check bowlers action if this university can override the umpires verdict?????
Because, believe it or not, the Umpires are inferior in terms of working-out whether there is anything wrong with actions compared to these learned physicists.
guess what? The so called experts of the same university has given clearance to another Pakistani chucker in Shabbir Ahmad.According to initial reports the experts have siad that there is "nothing major wrong with his action". So another chucker is on his way.
Yet again, someone has made something out of nothing. Someone who has a perfectly legitimate action has been called a chucker wrongly.
Another case of loads of people who hastily made unfounded assumptions being proven wrong by those who have taken time and used technology to study the matter.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Umpires can report if they see something they're not sure of.

The EXPERTS then review the action and decide if the action is illegal or not.

The sooner people get over it and accept that optical illusions exist the better IMO.

deeps

International 12th Man
excuse me, i happen 2 go to UWA, and it is a wonderful uNI! THEY are the experts, NOT u ajaagarkarajaaja...

Tell me this ajaagarkarajaaja, if UWA are so incorrect, WHY would the ICC continue to select UWA as the uni to determine wether ppl's actions are incorrect or correct? Just because you believe he chucks, it doesn't mean he does... You could be wronG (but as we've already seen in previous threads, you simply CANNOT admit when you are wrong) so i'm not even gonna TRY explain to u,coz i know it won't get through your thick skull

I suggest University of Western Australia should open a campus in Karachi and Lahore so that each and every new pakistani bowler gets a certificate of approval before he makes his test debut.
then it wouldn't be the university of WESTERN AUSTRALIA would it? it would be the university of LAHORE or KARACHI.... seriously mate, just accept the decision and move on

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
lol this agarkar fellow just made me laugh.. the ignorance shines in your post mate.. The University of W.A would be a really honourable place to be chosen by the ICC and there would be more than 1 person doing the tests various tests on the bowlers.. LOL more like a group of people ... So after going through the tests if the bowlers action is deemed legal its legal then..

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mingster said:
Richard, are you trying to say you reckon Shabbir does not bend his arm?
I'll assume you mean change the sinuousity of his arm in delivery - how you phrased it there is rather woolly.
It seems WA University Laboratory of Physics have noticed that he does not.
I have unfortunately never seen him. So therefore I'll just have to go by what others tell me. And personally, I'd prefer listen to some scientists than a few possibly-biased cricket-forum messengers!

deeps said:
excuse me, i happen 2 go to UWA, and it is a wonderful uNI! THEY are the experts, NOT u ajaagarkarajaaja...

Tell me this ajaagarkarajaaja, if UWA are so incorrect, WHY would the ICC continue to select UWA as the uni to determine wether ppl's actions are incorrect or correct? Just because you believe he chucks, it doesn't mean he does... You could be wronG (but as we've already seen in previous threads, you simply CANNOT admit when you are wrong) so i'm not even gonna TRY explain to u,coz i know it won't get through your thick skull

then it wouldn't be the university of WESTERN AUSTRALIA would it? it would be the university of LAHORE or KARACHI.... seriously mate, just accept the decision and move on
ITs NOT ABOUT me and you, its about what umpires think, that what count most.
Just because ICC choose the university doesn't mean that we can't criticize it atall. The legend Deniss Lillee said that bowlers like Shabbir who's illegeal action get rectified often go back to their old ways and chucks occasionally and do blatant cheating.

People here should refrain from attacking others , that achieve nothing.

AS for UWA, they had cleared Muralia but its an open secret that most members of Australian cricket team Including Gilli doesn't consider his action legal.Its sad that chuckers are destroying cricket.

ajaagarkarajaaja said:
Then shut up.

Originally posted by ajaagarkarajaaja
Just because ICC choose the university doesn't mean that we can't criticize it atall.
It doesn't mean you should, either.

its an open secret that most members of Australian cricket team Including Gilli doesn't consider his action legal.
Nope. Gilly described Murali's action as 'interesting'. That exact word. He also said he doesn't think he chucks. Look up 'interesting' in the dictionary and try to find 'chuck' next to it. When Gilly got in to trouble with the ICC for speaking about Murali's action he straight away spent hours trying to track him down so he could apologize for what could have happened, not for what he said. He also assured Murali he does not believe he chucks.

Its sad that chuckers are destroying cricket.
It's sad that people like you can procreate.

furious_ged said:
Then shut up.

I will give you the same advice, Layoff!

It doesn't mean you should, either.
I'm free to critisize anyone, as long as i'm not insulting the University noone should get offended.

Nope. Gilly described Murali's action as 'interesting'. That exact word. He also said he doesn't think he chucks. Look up 'interesting' in the dictionary and try to find 'chuck' next to it. When Gilly got in to trouble with the ICC for speaking about Murali's action he straight away spent hours trying to track him down so he could apologize for what could have happened, not for what he said. He also assured Murali he does not believe he chucks.
Where were you when it happened ? didn't you advice Murali to look the word in dictionary rather than talking to Gillli himself??

A lot was hidden in Gilli's word, fact is there a alot of Australian cricketers that have serious reservation about Murali's action.If you don't believe tha then you live in fool's paradise.

And why just Australian, even legends like Micheal Holding and Bedi have time and again labelled Murali and others CHUCKERS!

maxpower

U19 Cricketer
I think lot of bowlers are called for illegal action now a days because of the advancement in the technology where they can analyze every single detail easily...and old cricketers who are so eager to criticize new bowlers should know that they got away with a lot of things because the technology was not there.
About ICC and UWA I really dont know what chucking really is even after countless debates !!! but if I were ICC I would also get a second opinion once in a while just to keep UWA in check.

ajaagarkarajaaja said:
A lot was hidden in Gilli's word, fact is there a alot of Australian cricketers that have serious reservation about Murali's action.
And why just Australian, even legends like Micheal Holding and Bedi have time and again labelled Murali and others CHUCKERS!
So? Gilly didn't call him a chucker, which is what you said, which is what I answered. There was nothing hidden in his words because he came out and explained them fully, which had nothing to do with chucking. You wanna use examples? Use people who actually do believe and have said Murali is a chucker. Not people who don't and haven't.

AUST_HiTMaN

International Debutant
Yeah, gillie never called murali's action a 'chuck'. After that incident happened according to his book, it was 1:30am before he got in contact with murali, and he spoke to him about what he said, and apologised. He then spoke to the Sri Lankan coach and talked to him about ect.

Agarkar, it seems like you are desperatly trying to sitr the pot, so to speak. Personally i think Murali's action is alright, however i cant comment on this new guy, as i haven't seen him bowl.

Im in full support of UWA, and know they are some of the best experts in the world at body mechanics ect.

As was said before, trust a decision made by a team of experts? or a opinion made by a person on cricket forums? i know which i would chose....

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
No, it's not - just because Umpires think someone chucks, doesn't mean he does. Umpires, believe it or not, are NOT the best placed to judge on this matter.
Just because ICC choose the university doesn't mean that we can't criticize it atall. The legend Deniss Lillee said that bowlers like Shabbir who's illegeal action get rectified often go back to their old ways and chucks occasionally and do blatant cheating.
The fact appears to be that Shabbir's action was never illegal. So nothing to go back to. And I don't know what Lillee said, if it's just that rectified actions sometimes go back to being illegal, fine, but if he named any names, same as above - legend or not, it does not make him any better placed to judge than Umpires. Neither legends nor Umpires have any authority to question the findings of scientists.
AS for UWA, they had cleared Muralia but its an open secret that most members of Australian cricket team Including Gilli doesn't consider his action legal.Its sad that chuckers are destroying cricket.
It's sad that this problem is so massively exacerbated by people who can't accept that optical-illusions happen so often. Most people who have been cited as chuckers have had it proved pretty conclusively that they're not, or they've had the problem fixed (eg Perera at Lord's, 2002). The problem comes from those who hang-onto the notion that these bowlers are chuckers, not the bowlers themselves.
And WRT most members of the Australian team still thinking Murali chucks, IF they do (we have no evidence, as has been discussed, that they do) then it's the same thing as both above - current players, former legends, Umpires - all come second to judging who is and isn't a chucker compared to scientists.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
A lot was hidden in Gilli's word, fact is there a alot of Australian cricketers that have serious reservation about Murali's action.If you don't believe tha then you live in fool's paradise.

Again, I repeat - they have no authority to question scientific findings about these actions. No matter what their status in the game.

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
ajaagarkarajaaja said:
Just a few week back i was slagged off for questioning the credibility of University of western Australia.I accepted some members views on it and immediately appologized.

But guess what? The so called experts of the same university has given clearance to another Pakistani chucker in Shabbir Ahmad.According to initial reports the experts have siad that there is "nothing major wrong with his action". So another chucker is on his way.

Does anyone agrees?
There goes any respect I had for you

V Reddy

International Debutant
Does that Uni check the past videos or only make them bowl again at that university? But it's getting ridiculous though. Chauhan got cleared, Shoiab Malik( IMO he used to when he started but now bowls ok) got cleared, Afridi with that faster ball, Kirtley, etc,. Lawson i thought used to chuck only a few but surprisingly he was labelled as a chucker when all the above have been cleared. I know they are experts but...

Langeveldt

Soutie
Shabbir Ahmed got cleared!!!

I can see why murali got cleared, its less obvious and he has a duff arm really.. but Shabbir has no excuse whatsoever.. jeezus :rolleyes:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
vishnureddy said:
Does that Uni check the past videos or only make them bowl again at that university? But it's getting ridiculous though. Chauhan got cleared, Shoiab Malik( IMO he used to when he started but now bowls ok) got cleared, Afridi with that faster ball, Kirtley, etc,. Lawson i thought used to chuck only a few but surprisingly he was labelled as a chucker when all the above have been cleared. I know they are experts but...
I can't comment on Chauhan, Malik or Afridi's quicker-ball, but Kirtley is certainly one of those cases of people refusing to accept optical-illusions, preferring to believe they haven't jumped to conclusions in the first place.
There is nothing wrong with Kirtley's action and there never has been. Exactly the same as Shoaib Akhtar.
I imagine they do all they can to attempt to find-out the value of the data they've taken. That, in my not-inconsiderable experience, is how scientists like to work. I'd be surprised if they don't compare their shots at the lab to in-game footage and try to spot any differences.
I find it hard to believe that Chauhan and Malik weren't just more optical-illusions, whom people couldn't accept because some angles make it look so blatant.