• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best captains/could have been captains

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Not sure I agree on the uncomplicated minds front
You can overanalyse stuff in cricket to the point it becomes ineffective.

There would actually be an interesting book in comparing captains from Aus, Eng, WI and the subcontinent with regards to how they are chosen and how they led/lead

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
If we're talking permanent versus fill in, I always thought Michael Hussey would be a great captain.

Matt Bell was a great FC Captain and could've been interesting at International.
Did Gary Kirsten ever captain South Africa?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Warne's commentary career puts him very much in the Botham mold of captains, and never captaining in a Test match has done wonders for his captaincy reputation
haha yeah.

Sehwag was going to be this kick ass aggressive captain when he was VC. Then when he actually captained a few games he was as mediocre and passive as most captains are.

Nothing like never actually being a captain to make people think you would be a "good captain".

Last edited:

Stefan9

International Debutant
If we're talking permanent versus fill in, I always thought Michael Hussey would be a great captain.

Matt Bell was a great FC Captain and could've been interesting at International.
Not sure he was vice captain at some point not sure if he ever captained the side.

From SA I think Neil Mckenzie would have made a good captain.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

Once. Should have been more.

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year
Kirsten never had a chance at full time captaincy, what with Pollock, Cronje & Smith around. Deserved it though.

SeamUp

International Coach
From a SA point of view I would say Eddie Barlow and Clive Rice. Two superb cricketing brains but with that they had a competitive streak second to none. Winners.

Obviously couldn't display it on the international stage in their pomp.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
It also depends on what the team needs at that particular time. I think England got absolutely the right man when they appointed Nasser Hussain at that time, a guy that wore his heart on his sleeve and wouldn't stand for anything that wasn't at the requisite standard he expected as captain. Yes he was intense and often let his passion overflow into obvious frustration but we were the worst Test side in the world at that point and he helped drag us from there to the point much improved point when he stepped down at absolutely the right time to allow a more relaxed and laidback skipper in Michael Vaughan take over and push us on to that next level.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
fwiw I thought Stewart was unlucky to lose the job. He'd only been in charge for two series - the home win against SA and a 3-1 defeat in Aus, which could happen to anyone. I think he lost the test captaincy because of our disastrous performance in the 1999 WC. And then he took the reigns for one last time for the miracle that was Lord's vs WI in 2000, after we'd been stuffed in the first test of that series. An under-rated test captain imo.

Whether he'd have overseen the wins in Pakistan and SL is perhaps another question.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Below are what his teammates have said about Ravi Shastri and these are exact qualities why he would have been a great captain of a team like India..

1) Shastri was a cerebral player who made up for moderate skills with strategy
2) He wasn't the most talented cricketer. But he was never intimidated and was always willing to fight till the last ball..