• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starc, chameera, amir, rabada or Joseph

Tom Flint

International Regular
Joseph has only just turned 19 and can bowl 90+ without spraying it about all over the shop. Anyone who has seen him play can have no doubt his career will head the same way as rabada's in the next year or two.
Haven't seen mustafizur at all yet, would love to see a Bangladesh tour in england

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Starc was terrific in the Perth test against NZ as well, even though he didn't get a lot of wickets. I tend to think most exceptional new ball bowlers in ODIs end up being good in tests eventually, and he will too as his consistency improves. Lot of potential variance with fitness etc though.

Shri

Mr. Glass
Rabada will be the best out of the 5. Amir is just another bad day away from a life ban.

cnerd123

likes this
Alzarri Joseph is the real deal. Will definitely be playing for WI soon.

I think Amir's ceiling is the highest of the lot.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Joseph has only just turned 19 and can bowl 90+ without spraying it about all over the shop. Anyone who has seen him play can have no doubt his career will head the same way as rabada's in the next year or two.
Haven't seen mustafizur at all yet, would love to see a Bangladesh tour in england
If that is the case I hope he gets himself in a setup with propeer mentoring for his skills. We don't want a talent like him walking in the ways of Fidel Edwards, or God forbid...Tino Best.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Starc.

Is already the world's premier white ball bowler, and will be possibly the GOAT if he continues in the vein he's been in. And there were signs both on the England tour and in Australia's home summer that he's managed to crack red ball cricket. Just needs a long enough run to do it.

Rabada's a freak as well.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Amir 100%.

IMO, Starc will always have injury issues with that jerky action and will struggle to remain on the park/effective

Kirkut

International Regular
The best I like about Amir is his action, unlike Wasim Akram's jerky bowling action Amir has smooth flowing arm movement and generates high pace without much strain.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Amir 100%.

IMO, Starc will always have injury issues with that jerky action and will struggle to remain on the park/effective
Jerky? He has the most languid, easy action in cricket.

You're a jerk.

Last edited:

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Down to a head to head contest between Amir and Rabada. Starc doesn't belong in the same conversation as those two.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
^ This is a bit unfair if we are talking about test cricket. Amir is yet to play any and we can't really use his 2010 performances in this.

I mean there is no doubt in my mind that Amir is a few country miles ahead of everyone in this thread, but since we don't have the data/performances to show yet, I wouldn't make such claims.

Rabada on the other hand, in 6 months of international cricket has already reached Starc level in tests so I expect him to reach great heights. Starc is an intelligent bowler, and one of the differences between him and MJ is since starting out, Starc has already demonstrated the ability to pick up new skills. Johnson was blowing away batsmen with awkward angle and pace in 08, and he was trying to do that till he retired in 15.

The only thing Starc has to do now is demonstrate ability to be a potent test bowler in Asian conditions. Australia never looked like taking 20 wickets either in India or in UAE and guys like Rahat Ali easily outbowled Starc and MJ in UAE. This is the area where he will have to work on.

Bowlers like Anderson and Broad took time but became major threats in these conditions ultimately. So has Morkel on the recent India tour. That's what all three of them - Starc, Amir, Rabada have to prove over time.

Gob

International Coach
Down to a head to head contest between Amir and Rabada. Starc doesn't belong in the same conversation as those two.
Yeah a bloke who is six foot six bowls up to 160 kmph and swings it late does not belong with others. If we are talking about potential ceilings Starc is so far ahead of everyone

smash84

The Tiger King
^ This is a bit unfair if we are talking about test cricket. Amir is yet to play any and we can't really use his 2010 performances in this.

I mean there is no doubt in my mind that Amir is a few country miles ahead of everyone in this thread, but since we don't have the data/performances to show yet, I wouldn't make such claims.

Rabada on the other hand, in 6 months of international cricket has already reached Starc level in tests so I expect him to reach great heights. Starc is an intelligent bowler, and one of the differences between him and MJ is since starting out, Starc has already demonstrated the ability to pick up new skills. Johnson was blowing away batsmen with awkward angle and pace in 08, and he was trying to do that till he retired in 15.

The only thing Starc has to do now is demonstrate ability to be a potent test bowler in Asian conditions. Australia never looked like taking 20 wickets either in India or in UAE and guys like Rahat Ali easily outbowled Starc and MJ in UAE. This is the area where he will have to work on.

Bowlers like Anderson and Broad took time but became major threats in these conditions ultimately. So has Morkel on the recent India tour. That's what all three of them - Starc, Amir, Rabada have to prove over time.
The difference is not that Starc

Tom Flint

International Regular
Exciting for test cricket, more 90+ bowlers around now than there has been for years. It helps that they are spread around a bit too rather than Australia Pakistan and South Africa hogging them all! If only england could produce one

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
He will do just as well in Tests, any left arm seamer capable of skidding them through at 150KPH with swing both ways and the ability to stand it up off the seam will be OK.

Compton

International Debutant
Rabada has looked excellent in the last few months, it's hard to imagine him not taking lots of wickets in all formats.

Starc clearly the best LO bowler of the lot, looked like he was starting to really tick in test cricket before his injury. I'm confident he'll be back within the wickets before long though.

Amir's upside is hard to predict. He's obviously super talented, but you can't really make bold statements about someone who will be what, six years out of test cricket by the time he next plays it?