• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Martin Crowe passes away

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Reports coming in on Twitter. RIP.

Brilliant batsman, innovative captain in the '92 World Cup, and inventor of Cricket Max. Obviously he's been unwell for a long time, but still sad to see him go.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
RIP. WAG for keeping such a strong public appearence and contuining to mentor while on his last legs.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket

:( RIP. One of my earliest cricketing memories is seeing New Zealand under Crowe being amazing in the WC 92 with Greatbatch hitting terrific shots, Dipak Patel opening the bowling. For a young fan just starting following the game, it showed me how cricket was amazingly exciting and I was hooked. I remember the Max cricket which Crowe introduced as well. Today we see T20 cricket dominate every where but we shouldn't forget that innovation at all. A true pioneer.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Really sad to hear this. A great cricketer, a fine person and someone with fortitude and philosophy that I admired very much since his cancer diagnosis.

Rest in peace Martin

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
:crybaby:

The man who made me fall in love with Cricket. Watching his astonishing feats in the 1992 World Cup, it seemed like he was about 2 feet taller than any other player on the field. I was a bit young to appreciate his languid elegance, but looking back it some of his great innings on youtube its clear that he still (for the next couple years anyway) deserves the tagline of New Zealand's greatest batsman, and one of the finest players in the world in the late 80's, early 90's. Also, probably the best batting coach that New Zealand never had. His influence on Ross's success in test cricket can not be underestimated, and ditto for Guptill's flowering as an ODI batsmen (and tentative forward steps in the longer form).

He will be forever missed by all kiwi fans who saw him walloping Big Merv and Shane Warne back in his early 90's peak.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Bloody sad and depressing news. A fantastic player I consider myself privileged to see play for NZ and Wellington towards the end of his career. Always a nice guy when I met him, too.

Jezroy

State Captain
Gutted. Such a smart cricket brain, and his love and passion for the game was obvious. A sad day for the game in this country.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Rip.

I saw him at the world cup final last year at the MCG, he was right next to me. Will never forget how sad he looked when nz lost. He was such a passionate supporter of nz cricket.

A great cricketer and from everything I read, a great man.

smash84

The Tiger King
oh man, probably my favorite kiwi cricketer of all :(. I feel so sad right now :(:(:(

rip Martin, thanks for the memories. For me, after Imran, if there was anyone who really stands out in the 92 WC is you and that will forever be the case.

RIP

Dead Meat

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
RIP Martin - very sad news. His playing days were before my time but my older brother bought me a VHS from Cash Converters with highlights of the first round of the 92 WC. Literally wore it out - replaying that off drive of Bruce Reid in the opening game vs Australia. What a player 8-)

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Tragic news.

I don't know who is the greatest uphill skier in New Zealand history, Ross and Martin are at the forefront. Probably its Martin as he didn't have Kane around to give him a hand. He scored runs in the most trying conditions walking out to bat with New Zealand 15 for 2 in the 8th over because he had courage, determination, and pride in his country. Qualities we all hope we might exhibit if were talented enough to represent our homeland.

The closing words in his autobiography are not focuced on himself or personal reflection. Instead they are a gift to all aspiring cricketers who look up to him.

"Be the best you can be".

An admirable New Zealander, and I hope they do a documentary on him in the next few weeks for us to relive some of the words he imparted.

Not ashamed to admit I was a bit shocked and teary when I heard the news.