• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who belongs on cricket's Mount Rushmore?

Francis

State Vice-Captain
Who belongs on cricket's Mount Rushmore?

This is an exercise I got from a NFL show that talked about which faces you should associate with American football.

For example, let's take professional wrestling (or "sports entertainment). I don't regard Hulk Hogan as a good wrestler. He's very limited. But his face is so recognizable with wrestling, that he has to be considered on its Mount Rushmore. So would Stone Cold Steve Austin.

With American football, Joe Montana and Tom Brady might be the best quarterbacks ever, but Johnny Unitas is like the Babe Ruth of American football, and deserves to be put in there, in my opinion.

Anyway, I hope I explained the concept enough. Here's my cricket Mount Rushmore...

WG Grace
Sir Donald Bradman
Sir Vivian Richards
Shane Warne

WG Grace modernized the game and made it what it is today. He made cricket a game of the people. Plus, he's very recognizable with that beard. You can easily put a face to a name, just like Hulk Hogan to wrestling.

Sir Donald Bradman is Australia's greatest ever sportsman. He is the Babe Ruth of cricket - a legend, an icon. Even people who don't know anything about cricket know his batting average - 99.94.

Sir Vivian Richards was the hardest person to select. I thought about Tendulkar and Sobers. Sobers, I believe, is the second best cricketer ever, after Bradman. In terms of all-round talent, he should be on my Mount Rushmore. But I don't think his face is as recognizable, as say, Sachin Tendulkar in India.

I put Viv Richards ahead of Sobers and Tendulkar because of his presence, his swagger, the proud face and the long nose - he's recognizable. In Australia, for example, he's still loved and revered. Richards was a cricketer personality and character like Tendulkar and Sobers weren't. Ian Botham was another character, but he's not in the others league in terms of ability.

Shane Warne captured people's imaginations. Even if you think he's overrated, he captured people's imaginations with his incredible deliveries - how he bamboozled players, spun the ball a mile and with skill and accuracy. Matt Gatting is a good example of that! He was marketable, and remains marketable. He's a character comparable to Botham and Richards, yet no matter how people dispute this with me, he really did revive spin bowling. He made cricket fashionable again.

So there's my cricket Mount Rushmore - Grace, Bradman, Richards, Warne.

My NFL Mount Rushmore was Jim Brown, Johnny Unitas, Lawrence Taylor and Jerry Rice (with Mean Joe Greene a close fifth).

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There has to be one player from the subcontinent. Probably replace Shane Warne with Imran Khan.

weeman27bob

International Regular
I think you have to go for the best batsman, bowler, all rounder and then the most influential player.

So in that order it's:

Bradman
Muralitharan
Sobers
Jardine

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Doug Bracewell's front foot
Trevor Chappell's right arm
Steve Bucknor's index finger
Anil Kumble's wahhhhhhhs

If there is to be an extra figure, I'd have Darrell Hair signalling no ball.

The monument is to be erected outside the ground at Darwin where SL were sidelined to playing in the Top End series a few years ago.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem here is that cricket is played across continents. So it's going to be very tough to find consensus.

longranger

U19 Cricketer
Any one who doesn't think Sachin Tendulkar belongs on that list is either trolling or quite ignorant about his influence. Cricket was very popular in India even before Tendulkar played, but it reached a new frenzy with him. Almost every new Indian batsman who joins the team cites him as the inspiration for them to do so. And I'm not even going to mention his accomplishments which alone make him a shoo-in for this: Most Tests / ODIs, Mos Test / ODI runs, Most Test / ODI 100s, Most WC runs, etc.

I'd go for:
- Grace
- Bradman
- Sobers
- Tendulkar

A good representation of eras and nationalities.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The other thread didn't really work because everyone was applying different criteria. We need to first be clear about what mount rushmore really means and what are people looking for? Is cricketing achievement? Non cricketing achievement to complement the cricketing one? Good looks? personality? Height?(to rule a certain someone out).