• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC seriously considers 2 divisions,7/5 split.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
not bad. A bit harsh on WI/NZ or whoever ends up being the 8th team though.

And Bangladesh have been making some real improvements, would suck for them. Though they might start winning Test matches which will be something for their fans at least.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Would actually be kinda interesting HOWEVER I think that if it were implemented it'd be only fair if there were more uniform Test series in both groups i.e. if Bangladesh make tier 1, they should be able to play 3 away Tests per series against each of the other countries. I mean whens the last time they toured Australia? It would be wrong for them to make the top tier only to be relegated because the boards cbf giving them Tests and so they don't play as much/have as much chance to win a series if they're 1-2 Tests.

TheJediBrah

Would actually be kinda interesting HOWEVER I think that if it were implemented it'd be only fair if there were more uniform Test series in both groups i.e. if Bangladesh make tier 1, they should be able to play 3 away Tests per series against each of the other countries. I mean whens the last time they toured Australia? It would be wrong for them to make the top tier only to be relegated because the boards cbf giving them Tests and so they don't play as much/have as much chance to win a series if they're 1-2 Tests.
great in theory. But would obviously never happen due to the boards/players/Icc etc. making a **** load less money as a result.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Need to see more details before come to a firm opinion, however would undoubtedly be great for top associate teams like Ireland.

The risk is killing test cricket in places like WI, NZ, SL, Bangladesh if in second division, as would be relying on the respective Boards' ability, and other countries' willingness, to continue scheduling test series (for interest and competition) and limited overs series (for money) outside of the division. If a smaller nation's team is on a down-ebb, as happens from time to time, then compounding that with reduced competition, reduced interest at home through lack of matches against bigger teams, and reduced income, could put that country in a hole that would be very difficult to climb out of.

Nevertheless will withhold judgement for now. Interested to see if any rules in place regarding lengths of series within a division - 3 tests minimum? Or two tests home, two tests away minimum? Or not specified.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
So currently we have

Div 1

Australia
India
South Africa
Pakistan
England
New Zealand
Sri Lanka

Div 2

West Indies
Bangladesh
Zimbabwe
Ireland
Netherlands

Hong Kong, Scotland and Afghanistan being relatively serious contenders for Netherlands spot.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Need to see more details before come to a firm opinion, however would undoubtedly be great for top associate teams like Ireland.

The risk is killing test cricket in places like WI, NZ, SL, Bangladesh if in second division, as would be relying on the respective Boards' ability, and other countries' willingness, to continue scheduling test series (for interest and competition) and limited overs series (for money) outside of the division. If a smaller nation's team is on a down-ebb, as happens from time to time, then compounding that with reduced competition, reduced interest at home through lack of matches against bigger teams, and reduced income, could put that country in a hole that would be very difficult to climb out of.

Nevertheless will withhold judgement for now. Interested to see if any rules in place regarding lengths of series within a division - 3 tests minimum? Or two tests home, two tests away minimum? Or not specified.
The only way it would kill cricket in those countries would be if they stay there for a long time. I mean if NZ were in the 2nd tier in the last 2 years, we'd have likely stomped on everyone in that division and then after being victorious against Sri Lanka/WI we'd have moved up to div 1.

I think in terms of a tier system this is the best we've seen.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Just to clarify - is promotion / relegation at the end of the two years automatic? or is there a relegation series between the two teams.

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
I can bet this proposal will never get through. The big three will never agree to the risk of relegation.

TheJediBrah

bottom line it's just not financially viable IMO

could be they're just saying they're considering it to mollify people

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
There are also statistical considerations. Do records broken in the 2nd division get a star placed next to them?

OverratedSanity

There are also statistical considerations. Do records broken in the 2nd division get a star placed next to them?
Exactly what I was thinking. It's a bad idea imo. Doesn't make sense to say all of them have test status and then split them into tiers. You're basically saying that the tests in tier 2 are less important /prestigious /important. Most people unfortunately see it that way already even with a single tier. No need to reaffirm their beliefs.