• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ICC seriously considers 2 divisions,7/5 split.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I am still digesting the proposal.

The other thought that goes through my mind is why a top "7". This must have been debated long into the night. I think the theory is that the top 6 play pretty good cricket and the 7th and 8th teams are not much chop. Therefore the 7th team should get demoted every two years.

Could a top 8 work? How much do you buy by having 7 teams vs 8.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
More likely to have an even contest. Like Carlton and essendon playing only against each other every week would improve the AFL

Last edited:

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A cricket brand split, with Shane McMahon running the first division and Stephanie McMahon running the second division.

Shane has the first division because it has India, Eng and Aus - i.e. "here comes the moneyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy"
Steph only just found out about Shane's involvement though and her husband runs the associates
Triple H also returned to the first XI and has taken back the captaincy. Also refuses to bat anywhere but 4.
And uses a sledgehammer instead of a bat. But still hits every bitch for six. Dance for me.
Hehs.

Justo

U19 Debutant
I am still digesting the proposal.

The other thought that goes through my mind is why a top "7". This must have been debated long into the night. I think the theory is that the top 6 play pretty good cricket and the 7th and 8th teams are not much chop. Therefore the 7th team should get demoted every two years.

Could a top 8 work? How much do you buy by having 7 teams vs 8.
On top of the general performance of the teams 7 has probably been chosen due to scheduling. With every team having to play a 2 Test series every 2 years 8 teams starts cutting into ODIs, T20s and Domestic T20 leagues. It also reduces the room for separate series like the Ashes etc.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
What are the arguments for why splitting into divisions will help test cricket?
I think the best one I can think of is that having "test status' would be based on the actual strength of the team on the field, not some vote that was taken ages ago under different circumstances

Slifer

International Captain
Again im going to ask, if GOD forbid eng, oz or ind fall to 8 in the ranking will they be relegated to the 2nd division??

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Will a death spiral occur if/when NZ goes into the 2nd division? Our soccer team isn't great shakes but tons of kids play soccer. Would like to think cricket would continue on to some degree.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
What are the arguments for why splitting into divisions will help test cricket?
So that we have more tight and even contests such as these

4th Investec Test: England v Australia at Nottingham, Aug 6-8, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

And less one sided farcical encounters such as these

1st Test: Australia vs Bangladesh at Fatullah Apr 9-13, 2006 l Cricket Scorecard I ESPN Cricinfo

Be so good not to have to play these lesser nations. Hopefully they bring this in after India plays three consecutive away series and is rightly ranked sixth.
It doesn't matter if India is ranked 6 or 100. Your cricket board would still be dying and begging to play a series against them every year they're not playing the Ashes. So this is clearly not helping your cause.

Good idea in theory but if GOD forbid, one day (unlikely i admit) Eng, Oz or Ind hit a rough patch then what? It's easy to make these rules bla bla bla but cricket as we've learned can be cyclical
Then we'll just change the rules silly. You make me laugh.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
man Dizzy was unlucky to never play test cricket again after that series.

averaged 231 from 3 innings with the bat and returned series figures of 8-90 off 43 overs with the ball, what more did he have to do?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Be so good not to have to play these lesser nations. Hopefully they bring this in after India plays three consecutive away series and is rightly ranked sixth.
On the precipice and staring at a trip to division two. They'd be the Leeds United of cricket. God it would be good.

Seriously reckon if I was an international cricketer (lol I know) I'd retire if I had to tour India. Just have absolutely no desire to ever go there.
I've seen the First Exotic Marigold Hotel, and wherever that is looks quite pleasant. I just don't know why you'd want to retire to some place where galloping dysentery is a risk if you clean your teeth with tap water.
There are indeed a number of parts of western Sydney which one could rightly describe as **** holes. I'm not saying India is bad, I'm just saying I have no desire to go there. I have no desire to visit Tierra del Fuego either, but lots of people do.

Aww Burgey man..you should have dragged your ass to CricketWeb when this game was going on

3rd Test: India v South Africa at Nagpur, Nov 25-27, 2015 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Such wasted potential tsk tsk tsk