cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: what was the best XI England could muster in the '90s when everyone was fit/in form?

what was the best XI England could muster in the '90s when everyone was fit/in form?

apologies for beating a dead horse - i've discussed this random part of England's history almost to a savant level since joining this forum and have been accused of talking too much about Atherton, Stewart, Hick etc. It's probably because I really got into the nerdier side of cricket due to my love for International Cricket Captain 1, set in 1998 and always longed for the chance to talk about those players.

This is an ATG XI thread, but only for England in the '90s. It's always fascinated me how England managed to go through so many players in a ten year span between 88-98, I feel that has to be a record for most debuting players in ten years.

In the batting there were the mainstays like Stewart, Atherton, Thorpe and Hussain, the FC heavyweights who never held down a test spot(Rampracash, Hick, Crawley, Fairbrother, Knight) and other talented players who had solid little stints at the front and back halfs of the decade (Robin Smith, Butcher). Along with Graham Gooch, all these careers overlapped with each other. In 1995 I'd say all 12 of the players I just mentioned were eligible for selection and most of them managed to play an insanely high amount of tests relative to fringe players in other countries.

There's the whole Russell/Stewart debate, the inability to find a decent All-Rounder, all the lads fighting for the spin spot(Such, Croft, Tufnell, Giles) and of course, the pacemen, of which I can't even count how many options were tried, it seemed truly ridiculous how many random scrubs were given a chance.

This is what I feel is the best they could have done. Sorry to Nasser, he'd make it if if you want toss Gooch due to his age. Dunno if all these guys ever played in the same match together, but I know they would have been eligible in the mid 90s. feel like one of the chronic underachievers full of potential (ramps and hick) deserved a run at 6. It's a long tail but I feel Cork wasn't quite the pacemen those 3 were

Atherton
    Gooch
    Stewart
    Smith
    Thorpe
    Hick
    Russell
    Gough
    Caddick
    Fraser
    Tufnell
    cricket rules brah

International Debutant ImpatientLime's Avatar
    Nasser was a vastly superior test bat to Hick.

The only reason I can see myself picking Hick over Hussain in that side is if I were to play four seamers (Cork over Tufnell) as Hick is the only one of the top 6 capable of chucking down some part time pies.

Athers obviously bowled some horrible leg breaks before his back gave in.
    Last edited by ImpatientLime; 25-02-2016 at 04:30 AM.

yeah, definitely bias on my part there. I really liked Hick and Ramprakash, always seemed to love players who had vast potential but couldn't hold a place in the team (Matt Elliott and Greg Blewett too)

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    ramprakash had a pretty good average against australia

everyone knows that the ashes are the only cricketing contest that matters
    Shady's XI:
    M Vijay || A Ali || CA Pujara || KS Williamson || LD Chandimal (wk) || F du Plessis || JO Holder || MM Ali || PJ Cummins || RA Jadeja || VD Philander ||

#FeelTheVern

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Kick Athers to the curb, put in Stewart to open and pretty much anyone from John Crawley to Mark Lathwell to bat three and you have a better team.

It's an interesting question this. Realistically, Hick and Ramprakash should have been in this line-up. It's a tough question to ponder as to what extent their respective failures were due to mismanagement and psychological pressure. Both had more talent and better techniques than Atherton.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.

Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.
    ~~~~Categorically not Heath Davis~~~~

The artist formerly known as Monk Red Hill's Avatar
    Hick was an amazing slipper.
    Quote Originally Posted by Test_Fan_Only View Post
    Red Hill is a piece of ****

State Vice-Captain
    International cricket captain...probably the greatest game ever made
    _Ed_ likes this.

yeah what i'd give to play through a '98 season again. next to impossible tho

State Vice-Captain
    I had a guy called mark wagh at Warwickshire he was a run machine, then could never get it off the square if I called him up when england captain! The end of season transfers were the best part of the game

I remember that dude as well, his picture and everything

cpr
    If were talking in form, then I suppose Hick and Ramps have to be considered, I'd probably play one rather than the age card against Gooch.

The bowling looks rather light, and missing Malcolm - like you said, in form is what were looking at, and he could be ferocious. Would say goodbye to Russell on the grounds Stewart was more than capable.
    "All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusions is called a philosopher." - Ambrose Bierce
    Langeveldt: I of course blame their parents.. and unchecked immigration!
    GingerFurball: He's Austrian, they tend to produce the odd ****ed up individual
    Burgey: Be careful dealing with neighbours whose cars don't have wheels but whose houses do.
    Uppercut: Maybe I just need better strippers

So it's agreed Tuffers was the best spinner of the decade? Croft would be far more useful with the bat

Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Still think Such was a better bowler than Tuffers, but the difference is marginal and the sample size for Tufnell was much larger.

And neither could bat for toffee.

Not found: Ian Salisbury

How about DeFreitas to strengthen to bowling and batting @ 7

U19 Cricketer
    Dean Headley.I thought was a very good/skillful bowler..Much better than Devon Malcolm(except his "You guys are history" spell) any day..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information