• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Operation FITBOBEU

Howe_zat

Audio File
Which stands for Free International Tickets Because Of Being Elite Umpire

The plan is a replacement for 2013's failed Operation FITBOBOB, which was Free International Tickets Because Of Being Opening Bowler. Debriefing of the previous operation suggests that one's mid 20s may be too late for your first net, and even if not, a slight degree of cricketing competence may be required to climb the ladder.

I have, however, over my years at CW and elsewhere, developed a degree of competence in judging other people's cricket and as such have begun the process of being able to do so live on a weekly basis. I also intend to blog about it.

~

Chapter 1: So This is an Actual Thing, Huh

So according to the ECB, the first step is taking an Introductory Course, a 3-hour workshop in which you get "a taste for what the role entails, and outline what lies ahead if you’d like to pursue your interest."

The website gives you a link by which you can find a course near you, but it turns out these courses are rather sporadic, only happening once every couple of weeks and sprinkled around the country. There are none in the East Midlands at all before the season starts. Only one that isn't either in the middle of south coast nowhere or on a midweek afternoon is a course on Friday the 11th April in Bolton, a town which does contain some Howe relatives and might offer a crash mat after an evening of strenuous education.

I am not especially looking to phoning them to explain the situation. I have, however, contacted the course trainer to book a place.

Running totals:
Time spent: 1 hour
Money spent: £0
Batsmen unfairly given out: 0

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would recommend to all posters from outside the UK that for the next four or five months they ignore all threads that have EU in the opening post

cpr

International Coach
I'm completely shocked that someone would even consider plummeting to such depth as to admitting having family in Notlob.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Go straight to the Level 1 course. I completed it yesterday and if you've got a good background in cricket you won't have any trouble.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Go straight to the Level 1 course. I completed it yesterday and if you've got a good background in cricket you won't have any trouble.
If it's not much money I think I'm going to go to the introduction one. Best chance to get a better understanding of the whole thing I think.

cnerd123

likes this
Yesssssss love this thread, mainly because I have literally just started the ACU&S (HK) Level 1 umpiring course myself.

Clearly not the same level as an ECB-approved course, mind. The best I can hope for is getting paid to watch Hong Kong's Premier League cricket. Which is why I shall instead live vicariously through Howe and his progress.

Do not let me down please.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'm a little bit disappointed you haven't opted for Operation Free International Tickets Because Of Being Professional Commentator, but this is cool too. Best of luck!

cnerd123

likes this
Going to hijack this thread.

I've got a Practical Assessment this Sunday, followed by a written exam next Tuesday. 50 MCQ questions, need to get 40 right to pass.

Please quiz me. I need to practice. All tips and suggestions welcome too.

indiaholic

International Captain
What happens if a ball splits in two on impact, one part remaining within the field of play, the other carrying on over the boundary?

cnerd123

likes this
What happens if a ball splits in two on impact, one part remaining within the field of play, the other carrying on over the boundary?
Call dead ball the moment it splits and obtain another one from the reserve pile that is of similar wear to the one that was destroyed.

cpr

International Coach
Call dead ball the moment it splits and obtain another one from the reserve pile that is of similar wear to the one that was destroyed.
Would argue if a ball splits in two on impact, then you don't want to replace it with one of similar wear.

indiaholic

International Captain
Are you allowed a trial run up?
What are the rules regarding practice/warm ups with the ball that will be used for play?