• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Ideas

Shady Slim

International Coach
the continuation of me spamming the front page with stupid threads continues

this time i ask the question what are the worst ideas that have been either suggested or put in place in the long history of cricket

and it's a long history

i'll nominate when they put australia a against actual australia in a tri series as a terribad idea

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. A new ball every 55 overs for Lindwall and Miller in 1948.
2. The limit of 65 overs to the first innings in some County Championship matches in the mid 1960s
3. The limit on bowlers run ups in the old John Player League
4. Timeless Tests
5. The doosra

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kyle Mills batting at 3 versus South Africa was pretty special.

HeathDavisSpeed

Appointing Anthony Stuart as coach and following him with Jamie Siddons.

And the whole Australian grade cricketers selection debacle. And the long-term damage done to the Wellington cricket scene as a result. (Boam, Brodie, Austin-Smellie etc.)

Howe_zat

Audio File
Splitting list A games into two 25-over innings, needlessly introducing the 'playing for lunch' tactic into one day cricket

91Jmay

International Coach
Appointing Anthony Stuart as coach and following him with Jamie Siddons.

And the whole Australian grade cricketers selection debacle. And the long-term damage done to the Wellington cricket scene as a result. (Boam, Brodie, Austin-Smellie etc.)
Would like to get more information on the bottom one.

HeathDavisSpeed

At Wellington we had two Australian coaches in a row who both brought over a stream of sub-par Australian imports who hadn't even been Sheffield Shield rejects, they were club cricket rejects. None of these players did particularly well, shall we say. At the same time, a number of promising local lads gave up the game at a relatively young age and it's made decent club cricketers pretty cynical about their chances of full Wellington honours.

This trend seems to have continued with the recruitment of Aleks Day.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
the ECB falling in luuurve with Allen Stanford...yeah of course you can land your helicopter at Lords Sir !!

Last edited:

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
One that I can recall is what somebody told me about the fixtures in a (one-day) competition here. There were ten teams, enough teams for 18 rounds (round-robin), but the powers that be decided to have the season go for 22 rounds instead. For the final four rounds, one would play the team one had played in the 18th round. As a result, one would play the same team five weeks in a row. This would be brilliant if you were no.1 playing no.8, but would have been disastrous if you were 4 playing 5.