• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Ideas

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
Kyle Mills batting at 3 versus South Africa was pretty special.
I'll raise you a Matthew Hart opening the batting in the 1999 World Cup.

The aluminium bat.

Incidentally, my prospective father in law has one which he bought off DK in the early 80s. Lillee had dozens of them made apparently, and couldn't shift them
The youtube footage of him getting told he can't use it is priceless ... so verrry pissed off. Probably wondering how he was going to shift all those bats.

NZ domestic 20-20s being played at Westpac Stadium would be on my list.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
1. Super subs - What a ridiculous thing that was!
2. Mic'ing up players in international matches - Just no!
3. In-screen ads when match is being telecast - the worst ones with sounds
4. ESPNCricinfo (sans statsguru)

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
In the day and age of batsman dominance, the pitched outside ruling for LBW. If it hits you and not your bat and it would've hit the stumps, give it out.

Shady Slim

International Coach
In the day and age of batsman dominance, the pitched outside ruling for LBW. If it hits you and not your bat and it would've hit the stumps, give it out.
i always had it explained to me like this

if you could have it pitch outside leg for LBW then someone such as johnson or steyn could load the leg field and pitch it outside leg every ball and if you wanted to score you'd have to go inside out over cover every ball if he's landing them even moderately well

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
So, make the pitch outside rule only count if you're over the wicket then. i.e allow left arm bowlers to be able to take wickets by bowling at the top of leg.

Shady Slim

International Coach
that does not address my problem at all because he can still load the field and make the only scoring option inside-outing over cover or ramping it

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
i always had it explained to me like this

if you could have it pitch outside leg for LBW then someone such as johnson or steyn could load the leg field and pitch it outside leg every ball and if you wanted to score you'd have to go inside out over cover every ball if he's landing them even moderately well
That doesn't even make sense. How's this different from the off stump rule? pitching outside leg stump as long as it is hit "in line" with stumps and "going on to" hit stumps should be fine in my opinion.

The signt of a Shane Warne twirler pitching miles outside leg and spinning viciously into stump only to be thwarted plumb on the pads just centemeters in front of the stumps is one of the most grating things I have seen.

Spark

Global Moderator
That doesn't even make sense. How's this different from the off stump rule? pitching outside leg stump as long as it is hit "in line" with stumps and "going on to" hit stumps should be fine in my opinion.

The signt of a Shane Warne twirler pitching miles outside leg and spinning viciously into stump only to be thwarted plumb on the pads just centemeters in front of the stumps is one of the most grating things I have seen.
Because you can actually hit it with your bat out there. Or, at least, you're expected to.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Another stupid idea is balls that are called wide that actually pass over the top of leg stump because the batsman moved inside the line and let it go. Happens so often in ODI.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Around the year 1998 there was a rule that if you attempted to hit a wide it wasn't a wide (because you had covered it with your bat. If you shouldered arms to it then the umpire might call it. Infuriating rule that lasted for 1-2 seasons.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I still think batsmen should not be given leg side wides if they are attempting switch hits or reverse sweeps. It is one way to help out the poor spinners, esp. in T20s. By all means call it a wide if it is out of reach but do not apply the stupid leg stump wide rule when the batsman has changed his grip and is basically being a left hand batsman (if he is a RHB)