• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Fielding Positions

Shady Slim

International Coach
a followup from the your game thread - where do you like fielding and where don't you like fielding?

i'm normally at mid wicket and like fielding at either midwicket or in the covers, mid on at a stretch isn't terrible.

in terms of where i don't like to field

i would rather keep to dale steyn without gloves than field at point: no catches are easy and everything flies hard and always feels as if it's outrunning you

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Keeping the last few years. Always been a good catch, so used to end up in the slips a lot before then. Slipping was a bit boring though, always liked being around point or cover.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I used to mainly field at point, dropped a few but took a few too. tbh I preferred fast and low catches to high 'sitters', i always managed to just psyche myself out too much under the high ball.

I hated slips, my reactions/concentration wasnt up to scratch

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
keeping.

i like running, diving etc to stop stuff while in the outfield but i hate catches, always lose them in the buildings. indifferent to anywhere in the infield, though i suppose I enjoy point more than the rest because it makes me feel important.

cnerd123

likes this
I love slips/short leg.

I used to be put in the boundary a lot - fast runner, good throw, safe hands. Recently tho I have been given the chance to field at point. 4 catches and 0 drops in 3 games and I'm liking it so far. I don't think my agility is quite up to scratch though. Need to work on that.

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
I used to field gully or slip; good reflex catcher that I wish extended to my batting. I quite often enjoyed fielding in a short mid wicket as I got a few run outs there.

indiaholic

International Captain
Anywhere I can take reflex catches is fine. Every time I can set myself up for a sitter or a ball that went too high, I would drop it.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Keeper.. Was awarded best keeper once in an inter-school competition and am happy to report I had lost literally none of those reactions when I started playing cricket again circa 2012. Batting was a different story though. :(

Shady Slim

International Coach
no you wouldn't...
never said where i'd be keeping, definitely right on the boundary :P

what's with all the point love here though point sucks nothing's simple, and this is coming from a guy whose first ever catch was a one handed blinder

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Strangely the older I got the faster my reactions got. So in high school I was the world's worst slip. I finished my career being a decent gully and held some good ones. As posted in a similar thread, the key to gully is knowing where to actually stand. It takes 4-5 games to master the exact perfect position/angle. Then you don't even have to dive for them. They just come right at you.

cnerd123

likes this
never said where i'd be keeping, definitely right on the boundary :P

what's with all the point love here though point sucks nothing's simple, and this is coming from a guy whose first ever catch was a one handed blinder
I play at literally the lowest level of cricket in HK, and yet there are batsmen who can really give the ball a good whack. The fields I've played on are tiny too. And I've gotten stitches on my face from being hit by the ball.

Fielding at point ****ing terrifies me

And thats why I love it.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Since my vision deteriorated a bit, and now wear glasses on the field, mid off/on and third man/fine leg my go. Anywhere in a straight look at the batsman is my preference.

NotMcKenzie

International Debutant
I usually end up in the covers, and then nobody hits a catchable ball there all day. But I've fielded pretty much everywhere except the slips.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Point, slips or in the covers.

Basically anywhere you're going to be involved a lot. I loved fielding when I was a kid.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
Anywhere in Outfield..can cover good ground..Love the whole running part and fielding the ball in the outfield..love it..Cannot field anywhere the ball comes hard,fast,flat and head high..poor at catching those..so the complete arc from slips to point / gully no go for me..s..t they are hard to catch..

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I'm an absolutely shocking fielder, but by virtue of being <40 and capable of running, I end up in all the busy positions (aside from general 'bowler goes to fine leg' stuff). Generally midwicket, and sweeping out on the boundary. Occasionally I get put in the slips, but I think I've had about two catches come to me in my career, both of which I dropped (one was a full length dive, tbf).

I much prefer wicketkeeping ('keeping up to the stumps to pretty much everyone); picked it up quite nicely the other week, though I was lacking a bit of crispness on the legside takes.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kept a bit for my school team. Also spent a fair amount of time patrolling the boundary because I had poor reflexes (wearing glasses didn't help), but was fairly safe taking skiers etc. What I lacked in ability I made up for in enthusiasm.