• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

An article about DRS - The Hidden Fine Print of Hawk Eye

Howe_zat

Audio File
Why put words into the BCCI's mouth? They're grown ups who can outline their own decisions.

That's how alarmingly limited the DRS can be. This is what the BCCI mean when they say this review system (DRS) is not comprehensive enough to be used. Their objection is not against reviewing and correcting wrong decisions, but against the limited system presently in place for doing so.

In light of the Voges decision where there is a lot of room for arguments, the present review system is just glaringly limited in its scope.
So according to the article, the reason the BCCI don't want to use DRS is because there are incidents like the recent no ball call where there was no opportunity to review. Hence some incorrect decisions are still standing.

But a quick google of 'bcci on drs' shows that to be not only false but completely backwards.

No DRS until it becomes 'foolproof' - Manohar | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Shashank Manohar, the BCCI president, has closed the door on the Decision Review System (DRS), saying that unless the system became "foolproof", India's stance would remain unchanged. Responding to questions from the public on BCCI's Facebook account, Manohar said that India's sole issue with DRS concerned lbw decisions. Manohar pointed out that he had raised this issue even during his first stint as BCCI president, between 2008 and 2011.

"Actually telling you the truth, the BCCI was never against the DRS system right from the time of my earlier tenure," Manohar said. "We had issues only regarding the leg before decisions to be decided by the DRS system. For everything else we were accepting the DRS system."

Manohar said that in his previous tenure as BCCI president, the ICC had asked India to accept DRS as a whole, which the board rejected.

"At the ICC meeting, it was decided that either we accept the DRS system as a whole or we don't accept a DRS system. We were not willing. And today also we are not willing to accept the DRS system for leg-before system because when you shoot it from a distance, a parallax develops and then you are not able to give the exact direction of the delivery.
There's nothing from the BCCI that I can find commenting on the process of DRS at all. They are continuing to say what they always have, which is that they don't trust ball tracking technology.

Not sure if you read the article you've linked to or you're just trying to ruffle some feathers but it's a **** article. Most likely it's from a writer who intends to make excuses for the BCCI, and attempt to make their position sound more reasonable than it actually is.

Attitude

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
So according to the article, the reason the BCCI don't want to use DRS is because there are incidents like the recent no ball call where there was no opportunity to review. Hence some incorrect decisions are still standing.
The point of the article is not that because no ball can't be reviewed DRS will not be used by BCCI. When is that even the point? And yes, thank you for stating the obvious, BCCI want the tech to be accurate before they use it. Thats the whole point of the 40 cm inaccuracy being hidden from the public, and the 2mm at stumps inaccuracy that makes the difference between out and Umpire's call. The inaccuracy in Hawk Eye that is almost never talked about.

I would normally ask you to read the whole article before trying to respond. However you already had the chance to do than but read just one page of 4 and started ranting so I will not waste my time telling you that.

Feel what you want, if you cant even read an article properly what use is your opinion.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
great but doesn't really change the fact that BCCI not wanting to use DRS is completely bat**** crazy and stupid

Even if the error margin was 3x what it is you're still going to get more correct decisions than not using the DRS (isn't that the whole point?). So the logic is that if we can't have 100% accuracy in every possible way then we don't want anything and we'd rather just have orders of magnitude more atrocious decisions getting made match after match. That's beyond stupid.

Attitude

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
great but doesn't really change the fact that BCCI not wanting to use DRS is completely bat**** crazy and stupid

Even if the error margin was 3x what it is you're still going to get more correct decisions than not using the DRS (isn't that the whole point?). So the logic is that if we can't have 100% accuracy in every possible way then we don't want anything and we'd rather just have orders of magnitude more atrocious decisions getting made match after match. That's beyond stupid.
Yeah another Einstein. More accurate based on the evidence and data from the very thing that has an error margin in it, which makes all 'more accurate' stat as useful and correct as actual bat****. If you don't get that then you are more actually bat**** crazy and stupid. On top of that you want to 3x the error range ... good one. Go learn basic logic somewhere you stupid fag.

You are clearly too stupid to understand this so let me break it down to kiddie level for you.

Suppose I am DRS, except instead of correcting decisions, I am something that answers GK questions or Maths. Expect I secretly I as the maths answering machine have an error range that I have hidden from everyone.

So if a kid is asked what is 2213232423+3224534634 and he has 5, and then its checked with me, and since my error range is hidden, everything I say, like every imaginary line Hawk Eye draws is taken at face value. So I say the sum is 23085357474687.

Second question what is 4250242 x 34923855 and kid say 3, but I say 8325092095245450.

Now in both cases I am assumed correct as everyone thinks i am a fking genious, and so I am 100% more accurate than that kid. But in truth I am 0 % accurate, and 100% different from what the kid said, but just as wrong when the accuracy of my answers are actually checked.

Now with math you can check the answers but with DRS there is no way to check whether that fking line that appeared on screen is actually correct.

All we know is that its different from what the Umpire said but it too could be wrong. Now if we take that line at face value to be correct then its 100% more accurate like the robot is with the kid. BUt when you realise that the line drawing artist system has a hidden error range then that 100% more accurate turns to 100% more different.

Its saying something different from the Umpire just like the hidden error math machine said something different from the kid. However how do we know what the line, different from the Umpire's view is actually correct. So far it was assumed that its correct, cos duh, its has to be right. When the error margin is exposed though, thats just a fking imaginary line which may not even be correct.

It differs from the Umps, but is it correct every time it differs... no when you consider the error range. Prensently everyime DRS differs from Umps its taken into the +1 more accurate.

However when the line itself could be wrong it potentially goes into +1 error box.

Hence all those more accurate stats are bullsh!t.

Now you fking Einstein want to 3x this error range making all more accurate stats 3x more irrelevant.

If you don't get that then fk off and stop being a waste of human flesh.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Dude, you're gonna have to start showing a lot more respect to other posters if you're planning on staying here for longer than a week.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
What?? How is he going to have an option of "staying here" after that fouled mouthed abuse?? Jesus if that doesn't get him an instant ban then I don't know what will........

Edit:

Good work.......filth like that has no place anywhere but certainly not here.

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Well, the way the infraction system works, one offence doesn't get you a long ban, but it seems he was already on the edge before today.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Burgey

Really looking forward to his return. Adds a lot to the forum.

Actually, no. He's just a ****.

TheJediBrah

Yeah another Einstein. More accurate based on the evidence and data from the very thing that has an error margin in it, which makes all 'more accurate' stat as useful and correct as actual bat****. If you don't get that then you are more actually bat**** crazy and stupid. On top of that you want to 3x the error range ... good one. Go learn basic logic somewhere you stupid fag.

You are clearly too stupid to understand this so let me break it down to kiddie level for you.

Suppose I am DRS, except instead of correcting decisions, I am something that answers GK questions or Maths. Expect I secretly I as the maths answering machine have an error range that I have hidden from everyone.

So if a kid is asked what is 2213232423+3224534634 and he has 5, and then its checked with me, and since my error range is hidden, everything I say, like every imaginary line Hawk Eye draws is taken at face value. So I say the sum is 23085357474687.

Second question what is 4250242 x 34923855 and kid say 3, but I say 8325092095245450.

Now in both cases I am assumed correct as everyone thinks i am a fking genious, and so I am 100% more accurate than that kid. But in truth I am 0 % accurate, and 100% different from what the kid said, but just as wrong when the accuracy of my answers are actually checked.

Now with math you can check the answers but with DRS there is no way to check whether that fking line that appeared on screen is actually correct.

All we know is that its different from what the Umpire said but it too could be wrong. Now if we take that line at face value to be correct then its 100% more accurate like the robot is with the kid. BUt when you realise that the line drawing artist system has a hidden error range then that 100% more accurate turns to 100% more different.

Its saying something different from the Umpire just like the hidden error math machine said something different from the kid. However how do we know what the line, different from the Umpire's view is actually correct. So far it was assumed that its correct, cos duh, its has to be right. When the error margin is exposed though, thats just a fking imaginary line which may not even be correct.

It differs from the Umps, but is it correct every time it differs... no when you consider the error range. Prensently everyime DRS differs from Umps its taken into the +1 more accurate.

However when the line itself could be wrong it potentially goes into +1 error box.

Hence all those more accurate stats are bullsh!t.

Now you fking Einstein want to 3x this error range making all more accurate stats 3x more irrelevant.

If you don't get that then fk off and stop being a waste of human flesh.
Not really concerned about the personal insults but none of this post even makes any sense

If you want to use a "math solving robot" analogy then it would be like having 2 robots, one that gets things wrong 10% of the time, and one that get things wrong 0.05% of the time, yet BCCI still wants to use the one that gets things wrong 10% of the time (despite being like 200x worse) just because the more accurate robot isn't perfect

I've still never seen a logical argument from anyone ever as to why BCCI doesn't want to use DRS, but would be really interested in hearing one because right now it's just bizarre af why they refuse to use it

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
lol, so a guy makes his username Attitude then decides to have an attitude. yawn - perma ban this lame SOB

Jord

U19 Vice-Captain
Does anyone know if his assertion that the error margin on ball tracking is actually true and that they're hiding it?

TheJediBrah

From what I can see he's saying that the DRS isn't 100% accurate. Which is obvious, but I also don't see how that affects certain parties not wanting to use it when the technology is available.