• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

If the Vics are smart...

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
...they'll bowl first v Tasmania and declare one run behind the Tigers, thus ensuring they'll play Tassie in the final...

BTW, let's hope Adrian Tucker gets a run in the final NSW game this year, from recent memory the longest stretch without playing a FC game in Australia was another spinner, Bret Mulder.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Dingo said:
...they'll bowl first v Tasmania and declare one run behind the Tigers, thus ensuring they'll play Tassie in the final...

BTW, let's hope Adrian Tucker gets a run in the final NSW game this year, from recent memory the longest stretch without playing a FC game in Australia was another spinner, Bret Mulder.

hmm looks illegal to me, it would be very funny if they did that than lost the game and the final....

Dingo

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Samuel_Vimes said:
Very unsportsmanlike IMO. As we say, "That's not cricket!" ;)
Is this the same unsportsmanlike behaviour that Fleming and Pollock used in 2001-02 to keep the Aussies out of the VB Series final? People have very short memories.

If Steve Waugh had it at his disposal, he would most likely use it to his advantage too.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dingo said:
Is this the same unsportsmanlike behaviour that Fleming and Pollock used in 2001-02 to keep the Aussies out of the VB Series final? People have very short memories.

If Steve Waugh had it at his disposal, he would most likely use it to his advantage too.
Infact Waugh did some thing similar in the 99 world cup just to be safe.

Sportsman like is subjective.. if you give your team the best chance to win the tournament, its the rules/points system at which the fingers should be pointed, not the captains.

Andre

International Regular
If I was the Victorian management that's how I'd be looking to play the game.

I'd be very confident going into the Pura Cup Final at the MCG over 5 days knowing that a draw will secure the title -and I doubt that Tasmania have the ability to take 20 wickets in the match unless the pitch is extremely helpful for seamers.

I'd much rather play Tasmania than New South Wales or Queensland, who are both capable of making and winning the final - somewhat, I just can't see Tasmania winning unless Doherty improves a heck of a lot over the next few weeks and they bat first and score 550+ on a wicket that will crumble.

Craig

World Traveller
There will be no Shane Warne, but he wont be missed, they are used to playing without him anyway.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
Re: Re: If the Vics are smart...

age_master said:
hmm looks illegal to me, it would be very funny if they did that than lost the game and the final....
Illegal? Since when was doing that illegal?:rolleyes:

Andre

International Regular
chris.hinton said:
So its Victoria vs Tasmania in the final.... that would be Interesting but i hoped NSW would have got there
It's Victoria vs either Tasmanina, Queensland or NSW - hasn't been decided yet, all that has been decided is the home finalists in Victoria.

We are just tossing up possible scenarios - in a sense, Victoria are the masters of who they want to play.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Still think it's unfair to the other competitors...same with the Worcs v Notts game. I guess it's just the way the competition works, but the fact remains that had the match been played earlier the teams wouldn't have known this, and thus couldn't have taken advantage of their knowledge.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Vagaries of the Fixture List, I'm afraid..

Reminds me of the farcical Austria 0-1 Germany in the 1982 (?) WC to make sure they both made the next round at Algeria's expense.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Neil Pickup said:
Reminds me of the farcical Austria 0-1 Germany in the 1982 (?) WC to make sure they both made the next round at Algeria's expense.
82 it was. See comment above about sportsmanship...

Algeria 82 was probably one of the best African teams ever...just a shame they never got to prove it :(

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Everyone knows the rules.
Someone who doesn't seek to do all they can to do as best they can within the rules is rather stupid.

Ford_GTHO351

U19 Vice-Captain
The rules are there clearly to see.

Its not like (Worcs, Victoria etc) they are doing anything illegal. Sure some are going to say thats not sportsmanlike, but if I was the captain and had the choice to manipulate the game for my teams benefit, I would do it every time.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly.
Who's going to put winning second to fitting some people's perception of sportsmanship?

Craig

World Traveller
Samuel_Vimes said:
82 it was. See comment above about sportsmanship...

Algeria 82 was probably one of the best African teams ever...just a shame they never got to prove it :(
They would be even greater if they were able to prevent Zinedane Zidane's parents from imergrating from Algeria to France. Ah well the joys of hindsight.

Now France has Mr Footballer of the Universe.