Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 71
Like Tree85Likes

Thread: Pre-dominance of incompetent English umpires on the ICC Elite Umpires Panel

  1. #16
    International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    On a wing and a prayer
    Posts
    12,720
    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    Great decision that.
    Yup, certainly was. And notice that we didn't have any reviews left.
    and the blame and derision was largely heaped on BMac for supposedly using his reviews rashly.
    Not like he's the only one.
    The truth, I think, is this: that since the triumph of what was called rationalism, we have successfully cultivated everything except reason - G.K. Chesterton

    A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'you are mad, you are not like us' - St. Anthony

  2. #17
    International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    On a wing and a prayer
    Posts
    12,720
    And there was this from the same series. Note no english umpires involved.


  3. #18
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,771
    Llong and Illingworth aren't any worse than the rest of the panel, and when you always think all the umpires are ****, it's probably just harder than you think.
    indiaholic, zorax, kyear2 and 1 others like this.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

  4. #19
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer Day Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    fighter of the night man
    Posts
    66
    Quote Originally Posted by HeathDavisSpeed View Post
    No - I'll take the best umpires regardless of nationality, thanks. And all umpires have made howlers in the past, this isn't a new thing, it's just shown up more glaringly by the ever improving state of technology. The umpires are constantly rated against their peers, and if they aren't performing then they will get replaced by someone from the tier below who is better.

    Now, I'm all sure we'd love to see more Asad Rauf, but that ship has sadly sailed.
    Good post spoiled by a **** straw man at the end.


  5. #20
    School Boy/Girl Cricketer Day Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    fighter of the night man
    Posts
    66
    8 Big three umpires and 4 small seven umpires in the mix. Sounds about right. The small seven need to up their game instead of whining about everything.

  6. #21
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Great A'Tuin
    Posts
    14,520
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS View Post
    Llong and Illingworth aren't any worse than the rest of the panel, and when you always think all the umpires are ****, it's probably just harder than you think.
    Yeah, indeed.

    I was umpiring on the weekend and the fielding team lost their **** when I turned down a caught behind appeal. Bloke plays the sweep, ball lobs up and is taken. They were convinced it was glove, I had doubt in my mind and thought it was off the arm, just above the wristband of the glove. So I give it not out.

    They start going crazy, cursing the quality of the umpiring. They fail to realise that a) gloved sweeps and legside strangles are the most ****ing awful decisions to have to make, b) international umpires get this **** wrong because it isn't easy, and c) there's a reason I'm not an international umpire.

    The ball moves quickly and you only get one look, even at park level. Scale that up to international bowling speeds, the pressure of crowds, and higher stakes matches; it becomes pretty clear just how difficult a job umpires actually have. It's great that technology can support them and fix their errors, and things like that Voges no ball call are inexcusable even when you consider the difficulties of the job, but FMD umpires cop way more **** than they deserve.
    Mind the Windows, Tino!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Honestly if Dan isn't the greatest living creature on Earth, he is only second behind Luggage.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I'm the worst poster on this forum, end of.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Langer
    Compete with us | Smile with us | Fight on with us | Dream with us

  7. #22
    Hall of Fame Member HeathDavisSpeed's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum... And I'm all out of bubblegum.
    Posts
    16,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Day Man View Post
    Good post spoiled by a **** straw man at the end.
    It was a reference primarily to Rauf's historical popularity on this site. He was a cult figure a while back.

    But yes, shameless double-reference at best.
    >>>>>>WHHOOOOOOOOOSHHHHHHH>>>>>>
    Fascist Dictator of the Heath Davis Appreciation Society
    Supporting Petone's Finest since the very start - Iain O'Brien
    Also Supporting the All Time #1 Batsman of All Time Ever - Jacques Kallis and the much maligned Peter Siddle.


    Vimes tells it how it is:
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel_Vimes View Post
    Heath worryingly quick.
    ~~~~Categorically not Heath Davis~~~~

  8. #23
    Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    28,604
    'Pre-dominance'

    Before dominance?
    RossTaylorsBox and zorax like this.
    Join the CW Commentary Discord - https://discord.gg/2cYpfrf

  9. #24
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Europe, on the outside looking in
    Posts
    20,108
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post



    c) there's a reason I'm not an international umpire.
    Probably several reasons tbf
    Dan and zorax like this.

  10. #25
    Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Starfighter View Post
    And there was this from the same series. Note no english umpires involved.

    If anything that's worse than the Nathan Lyon adelaide decision

    If NZ were involved no doubt we'd be hearing complaining for decades to come

  11. #26
    Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Yeah, indeed.

    I was umpiring on the weekend and the fielding team lost their **** when I turned down a caught behind appeal. Bloke plays the sweep, ball lobs up and is taken. They were convinced it was glove, I had doubt in my mind and thought it was off the arm, just above the wristband of the glove. So I give it not out.

    They start going crazy, cursing the quality of the umpiring. They fail to realise that a) gloved sweeps and legside strangles are the most ****ing awful decisions to have to make, b) international umpires get this **** wrong because it isn't easy, and c) there's a reason I'm not an international umpire.

    The ball moves quickly and you only get one look, even at park level. Scale that up to international bowling speeds, the pressure of crowds, and higher stakes matches; it becomes pretty clear just how difficult a job umpires actually have. It's great that technology can support them and fix their errors, and things like that Voges no ball call are inexcusable even when you consider the difficulties of the job, but FMD umpires cop way more **** than they deserve.
    Giving Nathan Lyon out on replay when he smashed a ball and there was a massive deflection is not hard.

    Giving Khawaja not out when dozens of replays show a massive gap between the bat and ball is not hard.

  12. #27
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Great A'Tuin
    Posts
    14,520
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Giving Nathan Lyon out on replay when he smashed a ball and there was a massive deflection is not hard.

    Giving Khawaja not out when dozens of replays show a massive gap between the bat and ball is not hard.
    This has literally nothing to do with what I'm saying.

  13. #28
    Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    This has literally nothing to do with what I'm saying.
    You're defending international umpires because it's hard, which it usually is. But not always. When shockers like that happen despite replays being available and the correct decision being blindingly obvious, eg. Nigel Llong v Nathan lyon, it's not because it's hard.

    The post you responded to directly mentioned Nigel llong by name, as did the OP, in direct reference to the Nathan Lyon drs decision.

  14. #29
    Dan
    Dan is offline
    Global Moderator Dan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Great A'Tuin
    Posts
    14,520
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    You're defending international umpires because it's hard, which it usually is. But not always. When shockers like that happen despite replays being available and the correct decision being blindingly obvious, eg. Nigel Llong v Nathan lyon, it's not because it's hard.

    The post you responded to directly mentioned Nigel llong by name, as did the OP, in direct reference to the Nathan Lyon drs decision.
    I'm talking about standing umpires. The bloke in the TV box screwing up is in no way relevant to my point.

    Stupid **** ups of simple things happen sometimes, and that's applicable in almost any job. It doesn't detract from the fact that Test match umpiring is not easy, and that the ICC Elite Panel umpires are overwhelmingly quite good at doing it.

  15. #30
    Hall of Fame Member TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    15,219
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    I'm talking about standing umpires. The bloke in the TV box screwing up is in no way relevant to my point.

    Stupid **** ups of simple things happen sometimes, and that's applicable in almost any job. It doesn't detract from the fact that Test match umpiring is not easy, and that the ICC Elite Panel umpires are overwhelmingly quite good at doing it.
    I don't really disagree with any of that. Never really disagreed with anything you said before either, just making a statement.

    Sometimes when umpires **** up and people have a go on them it's harsh, other times it's well deserved. I'm not going to feel sorry for Nigel Llong being decimated by fans for an incompetent decision because it was well deserved. Hopefully he learns from it helps him avoid such **** ups in the future.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. New umpires added to Elite Panel
    By chaminda_00 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-04-2006, 08:06 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 14-12-2005, 10:57 PM
  3. Three New Elite Umpires
    By V Reddy in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-04-2003, 10:18 PM
  4. ICC Elite Umpires Panel
    By Eyes_Only in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-06-2002, 08:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •