• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Boult and Southee - lack of swing

jonbrooks

International Debutant
What's happened to these guys? Is it because of their injuries? Have the balls changed?

A couple of years ago both Southee and Boult would swing the ball prodigiously. They don't do this any more. Not even in NZ conditions.

Watch these highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJW0OgK7obQ

Only wish they could bowl like this again.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
- Sometimes the atmospheric conditions are just not right for swing
- a lot of Kookaburra balls don't appear to swing very well at present

Boult especially was swinging the ball plenty in Adelaide.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
- Sometimes the atmospheric conditions are just not right for swing
- a lot of Kookaburra balls don't appear to swing very well at present

Boult especially was swinging the ball plenty in Adelaide.
The ball did swing in Adelaide! This is true. So obviously the ball has a lot to do with whether it swings or not. Any ideas as to why NZ has changed the balls we're using? Have we changed them?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Anderson and Broad went through a period where they just weren't swinging the ball much. The 2013 series in New Zealand is a good example. Just seems to happen sometimes.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
The ball did swing in Adelaide! This is true. So obviously the ball has a lot to do with whether it swings or not. Any ideas as to why NZ has changed the balls we're using? Have we changed them?
Well they're all kookaburras, though in Australia they were able to get the umpires to change the ball several times to try to get one to swing. They weren't as successful getting the ball changed this test.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Bond had just taken over as bowling coach for that Sri Lankan tour, but you can't definitively say his influence in a short period of time produced that. Wondering who was bowling coach pre-Bond?

edit: Damien Wright of all people

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I do remember during one of the Aus vs Ind matches last year one of the C9 commentators said that the umpires thought that the Kookaburra ball had an especially flat seam during that series. And there wasn't a lot of swing then.
As for Boult and Southee somebody posted a video of Boult campaign his action this season and last. He is currently leaning over more and not following straight, which explains the lack of pace. Don't see why he shouldn't swing the ball though. Last series in Aus Southee swung the ball, although not late, but his position wide on the crease meant he never made the batsmen play at it.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
As for Boult and Southee somebody posted a video of Boult comparing his action this season and last. He is currently leaning over more and not following straight, which explains the lack of pace. Don't see why he shouldn't swing the ball though.

Yeah my impression was that Boult's letting his spine hunch into a more concave position at the point of release.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Yeah my impression was that Boult's letting his spine hunch into a more concave position at the point of release.
As usual thanks for the video Kippax.

As per my OP I feel both Boult and Southee have had issues since their injuries. Unfortunately for them, if they're not swinging the ball, they're not very effective.

jonbrooks

International Debutant
Anderson and Broad went through a period where they just weren't swinging the ball much. The 2013 series in New Zealand is a good example. Just seems to happen sometimes.
I don't think it "just seems to happen". There is a reason a bowler can swing the ball and then not swing it. It's got to be something to do with a change in their action, change in the balls, change in conditions etc.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
It's a combination of all of the above, but for the love of god calm down. It's cricket and things go up and down, they'll be back soon enough.

Howsie

International Captain
I don't think it "just seems to happen". There is a reason a bowler can swing the ball and then not swing it. It's got to be something to do with a change in their action, change in the balls, change in conditions etc.
It's happened with Southee before if you remember, twice. The first time was when he first broke into the national set up and they decided he needed to bowl quicker. He managed to get into the 140's but he completely lost his shape. The second time was around 2010-11 where he got real round arm and lost his late shape, was swinging it from the hand at best.

tbh it's hardly surprising this kind of thing happens with all the different forms of cricket around but it's still kind of concerning. The bowling coach must be a little asleep at the wheel during times like these.

Last edited:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
I get the feeling a lot of bowling coaches while great in terms of tactics and mindset aren't that qualified in terms of biomechanics.