• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

16 Reasons Why Murali Is Better Than Warne

Status
Not open for further replies.

a massive zebra

International Captain
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 16 Reasons Why Murali Is Better Than Warne

Tom Halsey said:
He is not massively over-rated, but some people make him out to be better than Warne, which he is not.

Also, some make him out to be the best bowler ever on statistics.

If you go on them, George Lohmann is. But, as Neil and Marc say, he is a SM. :P
I think its fair to say if you take personal bias out of the way and look at the facts its fair to say Murali is better than Warne.

George Lohmann's record is distorted by the fact that he played on the worst Test pitches ever and against the worst test batting side ever - 19th Century South Africa. South Africa averaged under 15 in the 19th century. Pathetic.

I read a book a while ago which took into account average scores and playing conditions at different times in history and adjusted players records accordingly. Lohmann's bowling average rose to 23 and he was not ranked in the top handful of bowlers.

Last edited:

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 16 Reasons Why Murali Is Better Than Warne

a massive zebra said:
I think its fair to say if you take person bias out of the way and look at the facts its fair to say Murali is better than Warne.
I am not alone in thinking they are inseperable.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
chris.hinton said:
Warne is Brilliant Muril is a Cheatn just because he was cleared does not mean he is NOT a Cheat
Murali's action doesn't involve any of the requirements of a "chuck" so how can he cheat? Also, what have you got against him? He doesn't even bowl flat spin!

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
chris.hinton said:
Warne is Brilliant Muril is a Cheatn just because he was cleared does not mean he is NOT a Cheat
What does, then? Your opinion?:rolleyes:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
a massive zebra said:
9) Warne takes a lot of his wickets against the same batsman, whereas Murali takes more of a variety. What’s the point in Warne taking the wickets of Nehra or Walsh game after game, if he cannot trouble Tendulkar, Dravid or Lara?
Hmmm... could this be why Lara has dominated Murali and his team more than any other and why Murali considers Lara to be the best batsman in the world? He hasn't exactly been brilliant against the Windies captain.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Re: Re: 16 Reasons Why Murali Is Better Than Warne

Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hmmm... could this be why Lara has dominated Murali and his team more than any other and why Murali considers Lara to be the best batsman in the world? He hasn't exactly been brilliant against the Windies captain.
Lara is a genius and Murali has had an obvious weakness against Left Handers in the past. But he hasn't been tested against his new delivery. Thorpe, our main success when we won over there a few years ago, certainly didn't seem to have a clue against him this time round.

When Lara has played Australia he's often dominated MacGill and Warne, but McGrath tends to have his number most of the time.

Cactus

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
tooextracool said:
r u saying that chucking does not affect whether he is better or not??if i could just throw the ball, heck i could be the most accurate bowler and would be able to spin the ball a mile. no proof???if u watch the replays i think its quite clear that he bowls with a bent arm. frankly i dont care if he has polio or whatever disease it is that he has that prevents him from straightening the arm- he should be playing cricket with all the other disabled cricketers. the fact is it gives him an advantage over all the other bowlers. if the icc arent covinced whether he chucks or not then they should make him change his action...they cant just give him the benefit of the doubt here and let him get 600 wickets with a suspect action!!!
shows how much you know about cricket doesn't it. if you have nothing that is worthwhile to say then please spare us the crap.

i admitt i am a murali fan (and anyone who viewed the thread of "murali may pull out of the Aus tour" would know first hand.)

i'm so sick of this topic because ppl like you come along and waste ppl's time by giving the most backless reasons as to why you think murali chucks. by all means i can handle the fact that ppl do think murali chucks and they're entitled to do so, but please have at least half a good reason as to why you think it!

secondly, your absolute ridiculous comment of "he should go play with all the other disabled players" doesn't apply.
if your arm remains in the same position throughout the time you are releasing the ball you are by no means chucking. this is something the ICC stated.

thirdly the ICC are convinced he doesn't chuck. they were the ppl who cleared him. it's just the umpires and ppl who have the same views as you who have a problem with his action. so therefore they are not giving him the benefit of the doubt, but infact are giving him the greenlight to bowl in his usual way.

all in all everyone's just gonna go around in circles and never come to an agreement. this topic is highly debatable and forever will be.

don't re quote this message unless you have a half thought about answer to deliver!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

Rik said:
I do, and I watched it all when it was on the BBC non-stop.
Weren't the final stages on Sky only? I say that because I don't remember watching them.

Either way there was no denying that Warne was the one to step up and do the damage in the last 2 matches.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 16 Reasons Why Murali Is Better Than Warne

Rik said:
I'm pretty sure he's talking about Warne being a member of a team as successful as Australia. Australia are the strongest team, so if Murali was Australian his performances would be recognised more often. If Warne was from Sri Lanka, an "unfashionable" country, do you really think he'd be the superstar he is today? Not a chance.
In that case I misinterpreted the post as something that it wasn't.

In which case I can only apologise.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 16 Reasons Why Murali Is Better Than Warne

a massive zebra said:
He was outstanding between 1993 and 1997 but not as good as Murali is now and since then he has been one of the most overhyped bowlers ever.
Overhyped?

He's averaging about 25 for that period - I'd hate to think what the hype would make him out to be in that case!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets

a massive zebra said:
I think its fair to say if you take personal bias out of the way and look at the facts its fair to say Murali is better than Warne.
One of your reasons was because of stats such as S/R and Average.

I wonder how many wickets Warne would have if he'd had 12 matches against Zimbabwe rather than 1.

I dare say his S/R would definitely be a lot lower than Muralis if he had, and he'd be much nearer 600 than 500.

ReallyCrazy

Banned
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 16 Reasons Why Murali Is Better Than Warne

marc71178 said:
One of your reasons was because of stats such as S/R and Average.

I wonder how many wickets Warne would have if he'd had 12 matches against Zimbabwe rather than 1.

I dare say his S/R would definitely be a lot lower than Muralis if he had, and he'd be much nearer 600 than 500.
Come on now, that is so sad. Now you are just supposing something will happen. We cannot do that. We have to go by what has actually happened and the reality. And the reality is MURALI is a LOT better than Warne.

Swervy I find it odd that now you are saying that stats don't matter but in the "Wasim Akram Vs McGrath" thread, you kept bringing up selective stats.

Muralitharan is an icon. The way he bowls is so interesting I could watch him all day. He tries a different thing almost every ball. The ball of the century should actually be the ball he bowled to Sadagoppan Ramesh a couple of years ago and not the ball warne bowled to gatting.

To the ppl who say he chucks...please shut it! I doubt you know as much as the ICC does. And if the ICC has declared that he doesn't throw then he doesn't throw...as simple as that.

Murali is better than warne in every category. Over the years, I have seen Warne getting smashed a lot of times. But with murali that has not been the case. Murali has always worked on his bowling and continues to do so. He bowls a new one very time and IMO the most innovative spin bowler ever.

Lastly, he is going to finish with over 600 wickets in test cricket. I have a feeling warne will achieve that only in his dreams.

Swervy

International Captain
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 16 Reasons Why Murali Is Better Than Warne

ReallyCrazy said:

Swervy I find it odd that now you are saying that stats don't matter but in the "Wasim Akram Vs McGrath" thread, you kept bringing up selective stats.

well the Akram vs McGrath thread,I never said I thought one was better than the other...i said I would prefer to have McGrath on my team and I did say over his career, his stats would suggest that he was more effective as a bowler than Akram..at no point did i say he was better. In actual fact all I was trying to do on The Akram vs McGrath thread was dispute why people were saying Wasim was so much better than McGrath,when all i did was point out that it wasnt as balck and white as that.

Pretty much the same with this thread...two pretty differnet types of bowlers,tow completely different skills,and two methods of attack for exposing weaknesses in a batsman..so in both cases I find it very hard to accept that you can directly compare them, to figure out who is the best.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 16 Reasons Why Murali Is Better Than Warne

ReallyCrazy said:
We have to go by what has actually happened and the reality. And the reality is MURALI is a LOT better than Warne.
If that is the reality, how come there's this debate ongoing?

Swervy

International Captain

ReallyCrazy said:
Come on now, that is so sad. Now you are just supposing something will happen. We cannot do that. We have to go by what has actually happened and the reality. And the reality is MURALI is a LOT better than Warne.

Muralitharan is an icon. The way he bowls is so interesting I could watch him all day. He tries a different thing almost every ball. The ball of the century should actually be the ball he bowled to Sadagoppan Ramesh a couple of years ago and not the ball warne bowled to gatting.

To the ppl who say he chucks...please shut it! I doubt you know as much as the ICC does. And if the ICC has declared that he doesn't throw then he doesn't throw...as simple as that.

Murali is better than warne in every category. Over the years, I have seen Warne getting smashed a lot of times. But with murali that has not been the case. Murali has always worked on his bowling and continues to do so. He bowls a new one very time and IMO the most innovative spin bowler ever.

Lastly, he is going to finish with over 600 wickets in test cricket. I have a feeling warne will achieve that only in his dreams.
See you are getting like you were in the McGrath vs Akram thread, by saying Murali is a LOT better than Warne...utter nonsense (and for my reasons why I think its nonsemse please see my previous post).

warne is an icon as well..dont worry about that one.The ball of the century thing...well it was a lot to do with symbolism. England were relatively confident going into that Ashes test..maybe a slight feeling of 'well these Aussies arent as strong as the last lot' etc.England had got Australia out for under 300,and were going ok at around 80 for 1. Then the young warne comes on to bowl to one of Englands veteran batsman,Gatting,and bowls him first ball with an unplayable ball. It was that ball that has gripped England ever since....england were all out 200 odd,and Australia went on to easily win..and Warne still has that hold.It comes down to more than stats

Just one point if Muralis ball to Ramesh was a couple of years ag,it wouldnt qualify as ball of last century would it.

you make out that Warne not going to get 600 wickets in tests is a failure on his part..I am sure he will be happy with a mere 500.

garage flower

State Vice-Captain
Re: Re: Re: 16 Reasons Why Murali Is Better Than Warne

Rik said:
Lara is a genius and Murali has had an obvious weakness against Left Handers in the past. But he hasn't been tested against his new delivery.
If you mean the "leg break" Murali was bowling that constantly on the Caribbean tour last year. Lara got a hatful including a double century.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
A pointless and meaningless thread when the topic doesn't matter to the bowlers themselves. Whenever either is asked about the other, they are both generous with praise for each other and like and respect each others talent. Both players have fantastic records and are integral members of their teams.

The topic only matters to anally retentitive geeks who need to get a life.

p.s. I love watching both of them bowl and can appreciate their talent. Thats all a true cricket fan needs to do.

masterblaster

International Captain
mavric41 said:
A pointless and meaningless thread when the topic doesn't matter to the bowlers themselves. Whenever either is asked about the other, they are both generous with praise for each other and like and respect each others talent. Both players have fantastic records and are integral members of their teams.

The topic only matters to anally retentitive geeks who need to get a life.

p.s. I love watching both of them bowl and can appreciate their talent. Thats all a true cricket fan needs to do.
Well Said Mate

Status
Not open for further replies.