cricket betting betway blog banner small
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: DRS question

International Debutant kiwiviktor81's Avatar

DRS question

Bowler bowls to batsman, batsman plays a stroke, misses and his hit on the pad. The fielding team appeals for lbw.

The umpire thinks that the batsman was struck inside the line but that the ball was missing the stumps, so he gives it not out.

The fielding team review.

Upon review, it is discovered that the ball is going on to hit the stumps fully, but that the impact of the ball on the pads was umpire's call.

Is it out or not?

not out
    zorax likes this.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    not out

doesn't matter why umpire thought it was not out or out, never has

International Debutant kiwiviktor81's Avatar
    So even though the umpire is 100% satisfied that the ball would have hit the stumps, it's not out?

Request Your Custom Title Now! Burgey's Avatar
    Don't worry. Kane Williamson doesn't get hit on the pads.
    Athlai, Zinzan and zorax like this.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie

“The modern conservative is engaged in one of man’s oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."
    - JK Galbraith
    Quote Originally Posted by TNT View Post
    You need to clap a cows c**** over your head and get a woolly bull to f**** some sense into you.

#408. Sixty three not out forever.

International Coach TheJediBrah's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiviktor81 View Post
    So even though the umpire is 100% satisfied that the ball would have hit the stumps, it's not out?
    yes

"umpires call" means whether it's "out" or "not out". That's it. Not "hitting in line but missing".
    kiwiviktor81 likes this.

International Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwiviktor81 View Post
    What an umpire thought on field should be absolutely irrelevant when you have technology that you deem is better than their adjudication. And I don't mean that in your example, I mean it in all instances.

International Debutant Shady Slim's Avatar
    i think you're misinterpreting the question guys

pretty sure that umpire's call defaults to "all outs" or "all nots" even if they think it's somewhere dismissal-allowing and in other places working against the dismissal
    Shady's XI:
    M Vijay || A Ali || CA Pujara || KS Williamson || LD Chandimal (wk) || F du Plessis || JO Holder || MM Ali || PJ Cummins || RA Jadeja || VD Philander ||

#FeelTheVern

This thread highlights an issue with DRS. The umpire should have to say why they give it not out (at club level, we all did when I played. I can remember having a laugh with a bowler when I umpired and told him "He's outside the line, sorry, and though I don't know the name of it, he was playing some sort of shot"... ) If the ump gives it not out because he thinks there was an inside edge, but is happy with everything else, then the batsman should be out if replays show no edge, even if there's an umpire's call in the mix.

Really this just highlights my biggest bugbear with DRS... why is there an umpire's call on point of impact? We have ball-tracker, either the ball hits pad in line with the stumps or it doesn't. It isn't a matter of opinion. (I admit to not knowing the rule - is it some part of the ball in line, all the ball in line, or more than 50%? But whatever the rule is, technology can without any dispute show us this...)
    kiwiviktor81 likes this.

TNT
    Quote Originally Posted by Flametree View Post
    This thread highlights an issue with DRS. The umpire should have to say why they give it not out (at club level, we all did when I played. I can remember having a laugh with a bowler when I umpired and told him "He's outside the line, sorry, and though I don't know the name of it, he was playing some sort of shot"... ) If the ump gives it not out because he thinks there was an inside edge, but is happy with everything else, then the batsman should be out if replays show no edge, even if there's an umpire's call in the mix.

Really this just highlights my biggest bugbear with DRS... why is there an umpire's call on point of impact? We have ball-tracker, either the ball hits pad in line with the stumps or it doesn't. It isn't a matter of opinion. (I admit to not knowing the rule - is it some part of the ball in line, all the ball in line, or more than 50%? But whatever the rule is, technology can without any dispute show us this...)
    The reason for umpires call is because ball tracking is not 100% accurate.
    If you nick it walk

It is sort of a matter of opinion tbf, in particular it's a matter of which frame the guy putting the projection together decides represents the "impact" point. It's not automatically done, a person makes that decision.
    fade, made to fade
    passion's overrated anyway

forever 63*

TNT

...)
    All the umpires has to do is say "not out" and then the players should accept the umpires decision. That was one of the qualities of cricket, players accepted the umpires decision.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Howe_zat's Avatar
    Why does this idea still persist?

If the 'umpire's call' region was anything to do with error in the technology it would change depending on the circumstances. It's there to keep the umpire's natural bias towards not out decisions.

Amazing how cricket keeps shooting itself in the foot. Must have a rule that makes everybody lose faith in the system we're using.
    Last edited by Howe_zat; 12-02-2016 at 01:05 AM.
    We are lost
    We can never go home

State Vice-Captain
    Its more accurate then an umpire. I rather trust ball tracking tech. Personally there should be no umpires call and we should go with ball tracking.

State Vice-Captain
    Also can somebody explain to me why it being 'in-line' matters at all? Like why were reviews instantly satisfied as not out as soon as it was found they pitched outside the line in the most recent ODI between England and South Africa, even though they still might have gone onto hit the stumps.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information