• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

QDK or Jos?

Who is better for odis?

• Total voters

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
One is an excellent odi opener, the other a devastating finisher. Who would rather have as your odi keeper-batsman?

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
QDK is a better batsman, but I'd probably have Jos as keeper bat. Even though he's a worse gloveman and batsman, he's a superb floating finisher.

QDK is a better batsman and should drop the gloves and focus on opening.

Howe_zat

Audio File
QDK is a better batsman, but I'd probably have Jos as keeper bat. Even though he's a worse gloveman and batsman, he's a superb floating finisher.

Calls to drop the gloves happen every time a keeper-batsman has a good run of scores. Why? It's incredibly beneficial to have a keeper who plays like a genuine batsman.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Probably the ****. Lost a bit of love for Buttler following his diabolical ashes series with the bat. That said QDK wasn't great in the WC last year.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member

If we had a quality alternate then maybe, but he is young and not a senior member of the side yet... if another keeper batsmen comes along as QDK matures and SA become more reliant on his batting then maybe consider it... much to early now.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Looks like if you asked this question a month ago the result would be completely different - good reason to hold off calling it for now

cnerd123

likes this
More players atm can do what QDK does (consistently destructive opening batsman - Nohit, Warner, Guptill, Gayle and maybe Hales/Roy) than what Jos does (consistently destructive finisher - only Maxwell really, guys like Faulkner/Miller/Munro/Afridi/Raina/Russell are a class below and MSD is past his prime).

So I pick Jos.

Daemon

More players atm can do what QDK does (consistently destructive opening batsman - Nohit, Warner, Guptill, Gayle and maybe Hales/Roy) than what Jos does (consistently destructive finisher - only Maxwell really, guys like Faulkner/Miller/Munro/Afridi/Raina/Russell are a class below and MSD is past his prime).

So I pick Jos.
Munro last played odis ages ago. You're also forgetting the greatest finisher of them all, ABdV.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
odis it's jos. qdk had a shocker of a world cup.
Jos didn`t exactly set the world alight during WC either? QDK had a terrible world cup but I do think greater expectation was put on him than Jos, because QDK`s form before the WC was great.

So I pick Jos.
So QDK could not do what Jos does down the order? But because he is good enough to open he gets to be compared to Warner, Gayle, Guptill etc... Sorry don`t see the logic. Maybe better batsmen are put near the top of the order, so there are more quality batsmen there to be destructive?

Burner

International Regular
I think what he means is that now teams generally have someone like QDK in their ranks while someone like Jos is hard to come by. Most of the mentioned teams would rather have Buttler because they already have a solid opening partnership.

Daemon

I think what he means is that now teams generally have someone like QDK in their ranks while someone like Jos is hard to come by. Most of the mentioned teams would rather have Buttler because they already have a solid opening partnership.
It's not a draft though, I don't think it's right to compare then that way.

Compton

International Debutant
"A player like QdK" in that they're an aggressive opening batsman is a ridiculous point to make. You can't club them all together, then say it's not fair to do the same with finishers that aren't "in the same class"

QdK doesn't really seem to have many weaknesses as a batsman, I'd have him above Jos. He has more runs, and more tons, in few games. No brainer.

Stefan9

International Debutant
Concerning the world cup tbf he had just come back from a rather big ankle injury and was probably rushed back. He did have a poor tournament besides the quarter final innings.

For me QDK everyday over joss but then quinny is one of my favorites so no surprise there.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
"A player like QdK" in that they're an aggressive opening batsman is a ridiculous point to make. You can't club them all together, then say it's not fair to do the same with finishers that aren't "in the same class"

QdK doesn't really seem to have many weaknesses as a batsman, I'd have him above Jos. He has more runs, and more tons, in few games. No brainer.
An opener getting more tons than a finisher is hardly a shock. You might as well say "Jos has a strike rate of 119, QdK's is 92. No brainer".

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It's not a draft though, I don't think it's right to compare then that way.
Personally I think it's fine. You don't have to take it into account but you can. The op isn't specific enough to say that it shouldn't be taken into account.

Personally I go with De Kock right now. I'd like to see Buttler get England home a few more times in second innings of games in tight situations. At which point I'd go Buttler.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
This is a tough one...Probably Jos, only because if QDK keeps scoring those hundreds opening the batting after keeping then his body is going to break down at some point....but I won't vote yet