• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

QDK or Jos?

Who is better for odis?

• Total voters

Furball

Evil Scotsman
His early career was littered with low scores that made his average look pants but he actually had plenty of really fast-striking slog overs innings that would usually be him batting for two overs, hitting three boundaries and then getting out.

2nd innings: 14 off 9 balls v India
3rd innings: 21 off 13 balls v NZ
7th innings: 47* off 28 balls v NZ

Then in the middle of 2013 he started hitting fifties and the figures started to sort themselves out. But even when he averaged in single figures people could see his value, I think. Also his List A record has always been mint so I think the idea of him relying on T20 for faith is a bit out.
Yeah I remember he came into the ODI setup with an absolutely insane List A average and a massive SR (140+ IIRC).

From his domestic stats it was clear he had talent, what I mean is that for those of us like me who don't follow domestic cricket a huge deal then his T20 exploits showed that he had what it takes to be a success at international level before he started absolutely gunning it in the 50 over game as well.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Saw that Buttler averages almost 46 with a strike rate of 120 in his List A career. That's pretty ridiculous.
Yeah, as Furball alluded to when he first got picked he was rocking an average of about 70 and a strike rate of 140. There was a hilarious England Lions game in 2012 where he smashed 60 off 30 balls at the end of the innings and his average went down.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Even now if you take out his ODIs, he averages 59 in domestic list A, with a strike rate of 122. Finished not out in about 40% of his innings.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
His early career was littered with low scores that made his average look pants but he actually had plenty of really fast-striking slog overs innings that would usually be him batting for two overs, hitting three boundaries and then getting out.

2nd innings: 14 off 9 balls v India
3rd innings: 21 off 13 balls v NZ
7th innings: 47* off 28 balls v NZ

Then in the middle of 2013 he started hitting fifties and the figures started to sort themselves out. But even when he averaged in single figures people could see his value, I think. Also his List A record has always been mint so I think the idea of him relying on T20 for faith is a bit out.
Not to nit pick but that 47 at Trent Bridge was off 16 balls.......s/r of 293 and I guess that was the innings that made us sit up and think WTF is this guy really an English batsmen?

Just wish he could could got his **** together in tests.......pretty convinced that he can but he's a long way off atm.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't really care if he does in Tests to be honest, I love the fact that England actually have a world class limited overs batsman.

I just wish we'd use him properly and bat him in the top 5. There's absolutely no excuse for him being behind Ben Stokes in the ODI order.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Stokes vs Woakes is a genuine debate in ODIs for me.
In all honesty at the moment I'd probably choose neither.

Stokes with the bat isn't good enough to be in the top order when someone like Taylor is on the bench and if he doesn't bat top order I'm not sure he's worthy of a spot in the side.

Woakes just seems to keep having these wtf overs when it looks like he's turning the corner into becoming a reliable bowler.

Both streets ahead of Jordan though.

Last edited:

91Jmay

International Coach
Hildreth deciding he needs to bat through at less than a run a ball is an interesting decision as well