• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

West Indies

Swervy

International Captain
Richard said:
You mean neither does?
You can't have more than one favourite in a two-horse race; you can have less than one.
no..i mean what i say..that doesnt mean both teams are favourite,it means arguements could be made for both teams to be considered favourites for example West Indies good home record,Lara in form,potentially a great batting line up that may get hold of an inexperienced England bowling attack or on the other side of the coin England have done quite well away from home over the last few years,their batting line up could potentially ripped the West Indies bowling apart,maybe some of the younger bowlers might realise their potential this tour and give the Windies batting a tough time.

I think on neutral turf,England would have to be favoured, but as it is in the carribean,maybe the west indies have a slight edge.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
IMO all of the West Indian bowlers who've got some promise have far more to do than they could possibly have done in a month to realise their potential.
Personally I think a series of run-gluts is likely, one batting collapse (almost inevitable) could cause a winner or loser.
And if arguments can be made for both teams (and they can - they nearly always can) then there is no favourite.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: West Indies

Richard said:
IMO South Africa "should" have won 4-0, because it took a very poor bowling performance to lose the Centurion game.
I was referring to the way the WI piled on the runs in the final ODI and lost it in the last over - should never have lost from there, in which case it would've been 2-2.

If you're saying that they only won their win because of poor SA bowling, then I think that's harsh on WI, but it also perpetuates your stance that the better team loses a game rather than the weaker team winning, which I can follow, even if I don't agree.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Re: Re: Re: West Indies

Richard said:
it took a very poor bowling performance to lose the Centurion game.
Don't mind that the West Indies might have batted well.

Anyway, by that logic, it should have been 2-2, because it took a very poor bowling performance from the West Indies to lose the 5th game. Don't mind that South Africa might have batted well...

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Re: Re: Re: Re: West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk said:

Anyway, by that logic, it should have been 2-2, because it took a very poor bowling performance from the West Indies to lose the 5th game. Don't mind that South Africa might have batted well...
I think it might have been sarcastic...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk said:

I did mention the fact that in my opinion West Indies might have bowled poorly, but they didn't underperform - it was just another day @ the office. The South African bowlers I view as far better, so to bowl poorly they had to underperform. And no matter how well West Indies might bat, they can't score runs off balls that aren't there to be scored off - not for 50 overs, anyway.
Originally posted by marc71178
I was referring to the way the WI piled on the runs in the final ODI and lost it in the last over - should never have lost from there, in which case it would've been 2-2.
IMO they lost it because their bowling is simply not good enough to contain the South African batsmen - last over, 25th over, 1st over - whatever.
IMO, however, South Africa's bowlers are good enough to contain West Indies' batsmen (and indeed they had been for the rest of the series) and it took underperformance for them to fail to do so.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: West Indies

Richard said:
IMO, however, South Africa's bowlers are good enough to contain West Indies' batsmen (and indeed they had been for the rest of the series) and it took underperformance for them to fail to do so.
There's more than 1 out of 4 games that they failed to contain them...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
2 out of 5, in fact.
Similar in New Zealand.
It was often the same of times in Pakistan.
It is a very, very worrying trend.