Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: ICC to review 2014 changes

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Ideally ICC should respond to the T20 dilemma. That should be their #1 focus. Maybe limit all bilateral ODI and T20 series to 3 game events, to enable more time for tests and domestic T20 leagues?
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    I don't have a problem with the administration trying to make money. In fact they should by all means try to do so. The game won't survive without it. The problem is, a strategy that tries to look after the golden goose, feed it on time, look after it, study it, see if we can get it to reproduce more golden goose is infinitely better than stabbing it in the belly repeatedly to get all the golden eggs right now.

The game has to develop beyond the current nations for it to survive. This is where all strategies for the future have to start on.
    "This is a clash of strategy. And of methods, culture and politics. This is a new-era rivalry. Not as ancient as the Ashes, or as passionate as India-Pakistan. Two countries that are so different, yet share rampant egotism, high self-opinion and a belief that being born in their country is superior to other births. This brings together a belligerent bunch of brats, bullies and braggers."- Jarrod Kimber

I dunno BW... I just dont think cricket can conquer enough markets for that to be justifiable. What has indirectly helped cricket has been the rise of India's stature in the world economy. So today its a lot more common for the average American to have some idea of what cricket is than it was earlier. I mean, you got sitcoms and movies making fun of it, which while a little racist, at least shows there is better awareness of the game there. But which other country do you think the game can crack? I have heard about China conquering cricket and IT for the last 15 years without anything really happening and the ICC could care less about cricket being a part of the Olympics. I think ensuring sustainability is the most pragmatic aim they can have at the moment and buffoons can't even do that.

Cricketer Of The Year Black_Warrior's Avatar
    I guess we have to clear with our objectives. Cricket is not going to conquer in the same way that football (soccer) or baseball/basketball has conquered other markets. There was a time perhaps to look into other Asian markets like Japan but they have adopted baseball now, which has also made inroads into China now.

Cricket won't be number 1. Let's get that out of the way.

But let's try to be number 2 or 3. China has such a huge population. Even number 3 over there would be a sizeable market.

There is an evergrowing market of South Asian diaspora in USA and Canada. We can use them to create something there. Maybe have a WorldT20 in Canada. The Indian/Pakistani/Bangladesh community in Toronto and Vancouver is huge. This will slowly attract some local businesses.

My point is, it's not necessarily an all or nothing game. For years Apple survived playing 5th fiddle to Microsoft and Linux. Today Windows is a distant third to Android and Apple. But it's still surviving. It's still making some money. The market is big enough for third best to make money.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Day Man's Avatar
    I don't really think the game needs more countries to survive. Test cricket is almost a zero sum game. There are only so many series a nation can play per year, and the current schedule of a home and away series every 4 years seems to work. Teams cant cram in more Test series every year if more nations qualify for Test cricket, unless we go in for tiers, which would be unacceptable to the major nations with iconic series. Australia and England would fume if they couldn't play an Ashes because one of them slipped into the lower tier.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer Day Man's Avatar
    That said, we could go in for a top tier of 10 nations and a lower tier of 10.

International Coach Starfighter's Avatar
    My immediate prediction for this: Absolutely nothing will get done.
    We are talking about an administrative organisation after all. Despite what Manohar might say I don't think the BCCI will give up on the 'extra' money without a fight.
    The truth, I think, is this: that since the triumph of what was called rationalism, we have successfully cultivated everything except reason - G.K. Chesterton

A time is coming when men will go mad, and when they see someone who is not mad, they will attack him saying, 'you are mad, you are not like us' - St. Anthony

U19 Cricketer
    Good. Now we will hopefully get to see a full bilateral series between Australia and Bangladesh, and no more cancellation of series. They have realised that the "big three" idea will eventually destroy the sport. People like Srini are corrupt men.

Lol @ Energetic. Srini got on with support from ECB and CA. Now current regime wants to punish those who played ball with him and get their votes from the others. Ergo, Manohar's noises about fairer playing field. Yet he is so hesitant to implement the Lodha recommendations and does not find the time to answer regarding Ganguly's conflict of interest. This is simple Indian vindictive politics here at the BCCI. No one is more corrupt than the other and the first line of duty of the one who comes to power is to charge and punish the one before him.

Evil Scotsman
    Quote Originally Posted by Black_Warrior View Post
    Big Three structure meant a lot of different things and it will be interesting to see which ones change and which ones don't, but what I am most curious about is whether Furball's new found love for India (a post 2014 phenomena) lasts or not from here onwards.
    What?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information