• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yet another Australian cricketer banned for betting

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
WA women's cricketer banned for betting on day-night Test last November | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
A second Australian women's cricketer has been caught out betting on the game this summer, with Western Australia's Piepa Cleary suspended for six months by Cricket Australia for placing bets on the day-night Test in Adelaide last November.

Cleary, 19, placed six bets totalling $15.50 on various elements of the match between Australia and New Zealand, and like the previous transgressor, Angela Reakes, has been handed a suspended two-year ban.
Seems a bit harsh. AUD 15 on a men's game?

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
lol what a joke

banned for betting on a game that you're not only not playing, but is being played by a completely different gender

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'll also add that risking this sort of punishment for the sake of $15 worth of bets was hilariously stupid though.

lrn2 cost-benefit analysis

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I cringed before coming in here because I expected some poster to write some bull**** about zero tolerance for match fixing and blah blah blah

Thank you CW

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
She did deliberately flout the rules though, a difficult rule to justify I grant you, but that's a different point

91Jmay

International Coach
Suspended ban? So she isn't actually banned it is basically just a warning? I have no issue if that is the case.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
At the end of the day, the rules are the rules, even if people think them to be stupid.

If you place a bet knowingly in breach of rules then you can't complain if you get punished for it if caught.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
At the end of the day, the rules are the rules, even if people think them to be stupid.

If you place a bet knowingly in breach of rules then you can't complain if you get punished for it if caught.
well yes you can if it's a blatantly stupid rule

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well yes you can if it's a blatantly stupid rule
Given that the aim of the rule is to discourage elite cricketers from getting involved in gambling I don't think you could say it was 'blatantly stupid' even if the rule prohibited any sort of betting whatsoever whether sporting or otherwise - prohibiting gambling on all women's cricket I would consider to be perfectly reasonable - extending it to the men's game is not something I'd have advocated, but given that some cricketers aren't very bright and/or are pretty gullible I can see where the authorities are coming from

Niall

International Coach

Pretty much spot on.

For such small stakes anyhow you really should not be getting caught anyway, just get a friend to place the bets for you or use their account.

Its an absurd punishment, but she should have known better unfortunately.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Given that the aim of the rule is to discourage elite cricketers from getting involved in gambling I don't think you could say it was 'blatantly stupid' even if the rule prohibited any sort of betting whatsoever whether sporting or otherwise - prohibiting gambling on all women's cricket I would consider to be perfectly reasonable - extending it to the men's game is not something I'd have advocated, but given that some cricketers aren't very bright and/or are pretty gullible I can see where the authorities are coming from
I was specifically refuting the "you can't complain if you break the law" line. Whether or not you think the law in this case was reasonable or not you can't say no-one ever has the right to complain if they get punished for breaking a law no matter how ****ty the law is

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
It's fair enough imo. The women pass through the same places as the men generally. England women go to loughbourough the same as the men and they're out in SA now and have been training in the same places. You have Starc dating Healy. They will potentially be privy to insider information and have access to the male players and vice versa. Just don't bet on your own sport whichever ***.