• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Yet another Australian cricketer banned for betting

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was specifically refuting the "you can't complain if you break the law" line. Whether or not you think the law in this case was reasonable or not you can't say no-one ever has the right to complain if they get punished for breaking a law no matter how ****ty the law is
Agree completely, if for no other reason than a goodly part of my living is derived from doing just that

Furball

Evil Scotsman
No problem with the ban, if you're stupid enough to bet on cricket then you deserve everything you get.

cnerd123

likes this
People are kinda arguing at cross purposes again.

The rule may be stupid; yes (I personally think its fine for the reasons outlined by theegyptian), but she is also pretty stupid for breaking it. To use a tired argument, a professional athlete should know better.

She can complain that it's a stupid rule, but she deserves the punishment she gets and can't argue against that.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
...especially since she had the course, face-to-face, not long before doing it.

Day Man

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This is obvious sociopathy.
As dontcloseyoureyes's lawyer, I have to advise him that what he really meant to say what that that sort of post is generally made by sociopaths he knows, not that marc71178 is a sociopath.

Incidentally the logo on my visiting card is a famous sports writer furiously pedaling backwards on a bike.

Athlai

Not Terrible
As dontcloseyoureyes's lawyer, I have to advise him that what he really meant to say what that that sort of post is generally made by sociopaths he knows, not that marc71178 is a sociopath.

Incidentally the logo on my visiting card is a famous sports writer furiously pedaling backwards on a bike.
:laugh:

Niall

International Coach
People are kinda arguing at cross purposes again.

The rule may be stupid; yes (I personally think its fine for the reasons outlined by theegyptian), but she is also pretty stupid for breaking it. To use a tired argument, a professional athlete should know better.

She can complain that it's a stupid rule, but she deserves the punishment she gets and can't argue against that.
"We continue to remind all elite cricketers and officials that betting on any form of cricket is strictly prohibited," said Iain Roy said, the head of CA's integrity unit.
"It is outlined in the anti-corruption education that we deliver annually and is written into our anti-corruption code.
"Piepa has heard this message many times through the anti-corruption education sessions that we deliver and accepts that in placing the bets she exercised poor judgment.
"Bets totalling $15.50 might seem small but it doesn't matter. We take a zero tolerance approach to any form of gambling on cricket by players in order to protect the integrity of the game.

Read more: Cricketer Piepa Cleary banned for six months for betting $15.50 on Australia v New Zealand Test
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Yeah more I think about it, no sympathy whatsoever, she had been warned, and I refuse to believe an Aussie girl who plays for her country couldn't find a friend to place the bets for her or use their account instead.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Getting a friend to place bets for her would be stupid behaviour too.

That's how Ronnie Moore lost his job at Tranmere.

End of the day, the rules in sports on players betting are probably more draconian than we'd like them to be, but unfortunately that's down to people who have abused the game in the past.

And defending her by saying its a stupid rule anyway is idiotic. There's a road near me that's 50 despite being non residential (it's a bypass) and two lines with a dual carriageway. Me and many others think it should be a 70. But I get pinged by the police doing 70 any on it, tough shizzle innit. I knew the risks.

TNT

Banned
Sensible rule, if you play cricket you cant bet on cricket. Simple,easy to understand, not confusing and no biases.

What would be stupid is to have by laws that make if confusing.