• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should we allow an Australian team in the Georgie Pie Super Smash?

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I dont actually have a problem with this so we have a second division and punishes the last placed big bash team by having to play in front of smaller crowds. The move will give them more confidence when they begin to win again.

Who knows in 10 years a NZ team might make a big bash semi.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know what a "Georgie Pie Super Smash" is but it sounds like something Mark Cosgrove would be good at

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The 3rd best team in NZ beat the Australian champions. Just saying.

CANTERBURY KINGS vs SYDNEY THUNDER
not saying that anyone is wrong or right, or better than the other, but that is hardly an actual Sydney Thunder team

I have no idea who half those players are, they certainly aren't going to get a game in the big bash even if they are part of the squad (which I doubt most are)

edit: not that it's really relevant either way . I'm sure any NZ side could beat any Aus side on a given day, and vice versa.

brockley

International Captain
Could benefit as a feeder club,could be quite competitive.
But with the way things happen i don't see it happening.
Especially with a Cricket Australia xl in the Mettador cup,seems to fill their cup.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
BBL, 12 teams

Melbourne x 2
Sydney x 2
Brisbane
Perth
Adelaide
Hobart
Canberra
Cairns? help me out here Aussies
North Island/Auckland
South Island/Christchurch

If this ever happened it would be awesome.

Edit: and it's go obviously good in my mind I'm sure it will happen.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Should just let the players from NZ/AU participate freely in the NZ/AU competitions. No restriction on player count.

I suspect the old pocket book would work as a fine natural stop on Wellington fielding 8 Aussies Power Papps, Woodcock and Jeets.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
If you dilute the Australian player pool to 10 teams, the 2 NZ ones will dominate. You'd end up with something looking roughly like this (using the Island of Origin T20 teams as a base, so excluding Test players and doing a bit of shuffling for balance reasons):

North: 1. Worker, 2. Devcich, 3. Munro, 4. Bruce, 5. Young, 6. Ronchi +, 7. de Grandhomme, 8. Grobbelaar, 9. Sodhi, 10. Milne, 11. McCleneghan.

South: 1. Broom, 2. Papps +, 3. Rutherford, 4. Bracewell, 5. Neesham, 6. Ellis, 7. NcCullum, 8. Wheeler, 9. Nuttall, 10. Duffy, 11. McMillan

If you're trying to bring in two more teams of Australians, diluting it down even more (I mean, weigh up on one hand the number of contracted players you thought were **** in BBL|05, compared to the number of uncontracted players you thought were harsh to miss out), then those two NZ teams are gonna be pretty bloody competitive. Even more so if you slot a couple of internationals into them.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
So yeah you'd have to consider NZers and Australians as domestic players across all teams, else you've got Cameron Borgas getting a game for the Cairns Crocodiles and Jeet Raval sitting on the bench for the Northern Ace Firebucks, or Tastle sitting out for the Southern VoltWizards

Athlai

Not Terrible
Jeet Raval is a spud. He isn't even a myth at limited overs cricket, he is a confirmed, scientifically tested starchy potato.

He sits out for the Aces half the time.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
If you dilute the Australian player pool to 10 teams, the 2 NZ ones will dominate. You'd end up with something looking roughly like this (using the Island of Origin T20 teams as a base, so excluding Test players and doing a bit of shuffling for balance reasons):

North: 1. Worker, 2. Devcich, 3. Munro, 4. Bruce, 5. Young, 6. Ronchi +, 7. de Grandhomme, 8. Grobbelaar, 9. Sodhi, 10. Milne, 11. McCleneghan.

South: 1. Broom, 2. Papps +, 3. Rutherford, 4. Bracewell, 5. Neesham, 6. Ellis, 7. NcCullum, 8. Wheeler, 9. Nuttall, 10. Duffy, 11. McMillan

If you're trying to bring in two more teams of Australians, diluting it down even more (I mean, weigh up on one hand the number of contracted players you thought were **** in BBL|05, compared to the number of uncontracted players you thought were harsh to miss out), then those two NZ teams are gonna be pretty bloody competitive. Even more so if you slot a couple of internationals into them.
I follow your reasoning but I'm hung up on one point. 10 Aussie teams and 2 Kiwi teams means a 5:1 ratio. The population of Aussie is 23 million and NZ 4.5 million, also a 5:1 ratio. That tells me that talent ought to be pretty evenly split.

Unless you're saying that NZ is per capita better at cricket than Aussie. We're good but probably the opposite is true.

Instinct tells me that Aussie has more per capita cricket talent than NZ so I would have thought a 5:1 dilution would favour Aussie, if anything.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah but look at the domestic structures. Funnelling 6 Sheffield Shield teams into 10 BBL teams vs. 6 Plunket Shield teams into 2 BBL teams.

If you're looking for a 10th BBL team, you're drawing players from rookie lists and outside of professional structures to fill up the XIs, compared to NZ who are leaving 44 regular, professionally-contracted Plunket Shield players out of their 2 BBL teams. That's not to say that guys outside of the professional structure in Australia can't be better than some of the shunts who play NZ domestix, but overwhelmingly I'd suggest that the difference would come out in the depth -- professionals with domestic experience in NZ, vs random blokes drawn from grade in the BBL.