• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Mankading law be outlawed?

Should Mankading be outlawed?

• Yes

Votes: 4 6.1%
  • No

Votes: 62 93.9%

• Total voters

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
technically not as the set of laws are ICC interpretations of MCC laws, right?
The Laws are the MCC and I think the ICC adds regulations over the top. Or something. But yes, they can be different, but generally aren't on important things - more clarifications.

I can't wait for the situation in the final over of an ODI that the fielding team are going to lose, but someone cons the non-striking batsman into stealing a run and conceded 5 penalty runs. Lovely.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
technically not as the set of laws are ICC interpretations of MCC laws, right?
More small variations and additions rather than interpretations. For clarification on mankading the MCC law states that the bowler is not allowed to remove the bails after entering his delivery stride, while the ICC playing conditions state after beginning his usual delivery swing (whatever that means). Neither really matter in this case.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Would it be okay for everyone to just agree to disagree on this? There's obviously a case for both sides.

I think the u19 incident wasn't great, the batsman was playing the game properly and the bowler took advantage but for most of them to be honest, I've sided with the bowler. They're usually half a metre out, which is an absolute outrage, you're stealing ground. The law specifically says the bowler is within his rights to dismiss you if you blahblahblah... then don't blahblahblah. As far as I'm concerned knock the bails over and send them on their way every day of the week.

Nowadays every wicket is checked for a no ball and we don't warn the bowler or say it was harsh as he was just over. Harsh or not, it's a line call and you're not beyond the line, go to the dressing room, have a cup of cocoa and cry about it.

Maybe all captains should just say something like "Look mate, we're playing Mankads so watch it." at the start of the game to the opposing captain and go "We warned them not to come crying silly buggers if they're caught stealing ground." if anything happens. Then I suppose everyone would then say "Oh dear, the warning wasn't notarised by a justice of the peace." or "We need to warn them more times."

Nobody *has* to warn me not to steal sweets from the store, run a red light, speed, litter, it's just something I know I shouldn't do and if I get caught and let off with a warning, then I'm lucky. If not, I can't turn around and say I should be warned first, the policeman is a jerk. Even if he is, so what, I'm still wrong.

If you feel different, that's fine but I think my view is just as valid as you feel yours is.

Last edited:

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
For those that don't have a problem with the law, would you be happy to see a CWC final decided by a mankad?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
For those that don't have a problem with the law, would you be happy to see a CWC final decided by a mankad?
I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't be happy to see a CWC final decided by a batsman getting run out at the non-striker's end after a straight drive, or even a miscommunication that resulted in a resulted in a regular run out unless it was created by an amazing piece of fielding, and I wouldn't want those dismissals removed from the laws. There are always going to be parts of cricket that are less interesting to me than other parts.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Fair enough. Personally I don't care much for top edges over third man or french cuts either. Disagree on the run outs though - running between the wickets is a legitimate test of cricketing skill.

nexxus

U19 Debutant
There's a lot of things I don't want to happen in a World Cup final that could. That being said, I really think that a batsman stealing a yard isn't ok, it's a bit of a cheat and the batsman's in the wrong. If a team needed 1 off the last ball in a World Cup Final and the non-striker was caught out of his crease by a mankad, the cricket world may implode but I would think it was totally fine.

I mean, you just know that's how SA are going to lose a WC final, they've contrived to lose semis in almost every way possible except that, why not take the final to a whole new level.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I wouldn't, but I also wouldn't be happy to see a CWC final decided by a batsman getting run out at the non-striker's end after a straight drive, or even a miscommunication that resulted in a resulted in a regular run out unless it was created by an amazing piece of fielding, and I wouldn't want those dismissals removed from the laws. There are always going to be parts of cricket that are less interesting to me than other parts.
Or by DL in bad light

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It'll cause serious problems in NZ cricket if their opening bowler runs out the NZA skipper in the next WC final.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It'll cause serious problems in NZ cricket if their opening bowler runs out the NZA skipper in the next WC final.
It being at Lord's will be of no consequence given those sides never have home advantage anyway

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I don't get those people claiming the batsman wasn't gaining an advantage in this case.

Sure, he wasn't gaining a relative advantage in comparison with the convention (I.e.75% of batsmen would have been out of their crease).

But he was gaining advantage according to the rules. He was out of his crease before the ball was bowled.