• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Kiwis in the Big Bash?

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think its because their international season overlaps. Would be nice to have Anderson, McCullum, Guptil and Munro. I don't like the idea of having a team from Asia in the Big Bash as some guy recently suggested, but it would be nice to either have Kiwi players in the current setup or maybe a team from there join the league. But the problem with latter is that it will probably end up being the Kiwi national side, which I don't like the idea of.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah Henry Nicholls isn't actually a Kiwi; the bent shovel technique can't possibly have sprung from the same nation as Big Daddy Kane!

Also McBaz is there next year, and Vettori played (and is now coaching). Fleming also coaching.

91Jmay

International Coach
If they brought in one Kiwi team they might have to bring in two to fight against the issue of it being a Black Caps team + a couple of overseas players.

Howsie

International Captain
If they brought in one Kiwi team they might have to bring in two to fight against the issue of it being a Black Caps team + a couple of overseas players.
That would rule out Northern Districts then....

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Presumably if they brought in a Kiwi team they'd have to share some of the broadcasting profits with NZC.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Presumably if they brought in a Kiwi team they'd have to share some of the broadcasting profits with NZC.
Not sure about those permutations but I can't see any sort of real up-side from an Australian perspective in bringing in a team from over here.

Increase in travel costs, increase in travel fatigue, need to stretch the season out which at this stage seems a perfect length, and I really can't see what we'd be bringing to the table in terms of broadcasting profits anyway. The games would generally start at 9.30pm our time as they do currently (apart from the home games obviously) and it's just too late. I absolutely love the BBL but I get the first 6 overs of the first innings as a general rule before I'm out.

There might be some up-side but I'm sure the up-side of a second WA team, Geelong, Gold Coast or wherever is more lucrative. And of appeal to CA from a player depth perspective.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ACT is probably the goose to be plucked in that respect, seeing as CA are so thrilled at the prospect of killing Blundstone for more Canberra internationals

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
ACT is probably the goose to be plucked in that respect, seeing as CA are so thrilled at the prospect of killing Blundstone for more Canberra internationals
Yeah I knew there'd be a region I'd overlooked, CA's favourite stomping ground for touring warm-ups and nonsense, get them out of the way really quick ODIs.

Gayle at Pukekura :laugh: If the game was played with red kookaburras, you'd never finish for lost and knocked out of shape balls. Doubt there'd be any blushing babes worthy of his time down that way, however.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah the Thunder were almost based in Canberra when they were created. If there's to be another team it'll definitely be in Canberra IMO.

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
I'd suggest they keep the same number of teams for the next few years. It's a great tournament and they shouldn't get ahead of themselves. Maybe they could have four overseas in the staring 11 to accommodate some of the more exciting Kiwis and maybe one or two South Africans. Sanga and Jayawardene are good test pros but I am not sure they are a big attraction in a format that wants to showcase power hitting.

Redbacks

International Captain
We could do with NZ teams to helps us rise from #8 in the world. 2 teams would be great. Would give NZ a home derby.

Redbacks

International Captain
Sanga and Jayawardene are good test pros but I am not sure they are a big attraction in a format that wants to showcase power hitting.
Was class for the Strikers this season at times, would love it if he played again.

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Man I'd love to have a North Island and South Island team in the BBL. Would make for some incredible derbies.

It works for basketball, soccer, rugby league, rugby union, even netball... trans-Tasman domestic cricket has to happen.