• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best six hitters

thierry henry

International Coach
After watching todays NZ v SA ODI, I have come to the conclusion that Chris Cairns is still the best six hitter in the world, and probably the best of his generation.

There are few things in life more certain than Chris Cairns having hit at least one six any time he has passed 20. And I have NEVER seen anyone hit sixes off the fast bowlers like he continues to, especially down the ground, or off the front foot in general. For many players hitting sixes down the ground or over extra-cover off Makhaya Ntini or Mohammed Sami would be a dream, but for Cairns it's every innings.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Carins is a massive hitter quite possibly one of the bigest hitters ever.

I do think he mistimes the ball more than some on occasions but there is no doubt a well timed hit form Cairns will be massive.

In the Australian team Hayden and Symonds can probably hit the longest balls but Ponting is probably the most likley to make clean connection when he attempts a big hit. And he also has more options for hitting sixes that is a wider shot range.

thierry henry

International Coach
Hayden, no. He is immensely powerful but he isn't a consistent six hitter like Cairns, simply because it isn't the way he plays.

Symonds yes, he is up there.

Ponting, hmmmmmmmm. He has really developed as a big six hitter in recent times, but I don't think it's always been so much a part of him game.

deeps

International 12th Man
lance klusener, shahid afridi, moin khan, brett lee

are all pretty big six hitters when they get going

thierry henry

International Coach
Klusener is certainly a good 6 hitter, but (of course I am completely guessing) I would say Cairns has a higher sixes/fours ratio than he does. The way Klusener swings the bat means he doesn't really hit the ball high or straight like Cairns does.

Afridi, you might have a point there.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'd put Cairns up the top as well. Sehwag, Pollock (lol can't go past him after game 3) and Symonds would definitlely be up there too.

Eclipse

International Debutant
thierry henry said:
Hayden, no. He is immensely powerful but he isn't a consistent six hitter like Cairns, simply because it isn't the way he plays.

Symonds yes, he is up there.

Ponting, hmmmmmmmm. He has really developed as a big six hitter in recent times, but I don't think it's always been so much a part of him game.
In test matches you cant question Haydens six hitting ability he allready hold's the Australian record for most sixes both in an innings and I think overall as well.

He has hit 11 sixes in a test innings remember??

Ponting was not really a big six hiter up untill about 2002 but since then he really has been hitting alot and he always clears the rope easly.

He had haul's of 8 in a match and 7 in a match in 2003 (Both against India)

Symonds supprisingly hit's less than he used to he hold's the world record for most sixes ever in a FC innings.

thierry henry

International Coach
Agree on Pollock. Guys like Pollock, Symonds and Cairns appeal as big six hitters because they tend to bring the bat down straighter, whereas some other big hitters (Klusener and Gilchrist are the ones that come to mind) tend to hit across the ball a bit more and hoick (no, that isn't a word) the ball flatter and more towards mid wicket.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Brett Lee deserves a mention fastest batspeed in the world IMO. Or close to it anyway.

He hit the biggest six I have ever seen.

Eclipse

International Debutant
thierry henry said:
Agree on Pollock. Guys like Pollock, Symonds and Cairns appeal as big six hitters because they tend to bring the bat down straighter, whereas some other big hitters (Klusener and Gilchrist are the ones that come to mind) tend to hit across the ball a bit more and hoick (no, that isn't a word) the ball flatter and more towards mid wicket.
Gilchrist has hit more than his fare share of straight sixes I can tell you but he is especialy fond of the slog sweep and pulls and given how well he plays them I dont balme him.

One of the best sixes I have ever seen was a stright six by Gilchrist of ironicly Chris Cairns It was almost a yorker but he just murderd it stright down the ground.

Eclipse

International Debutant
thierry henry said:
Yes Hayden hit 11 sixes, but how many runs did he score?

If Cairns ever scored 380, he'd have hit 30 sixes:lol:
Yes but the fact he would try to hit that many sixes would mean he would never get anywere nere 380.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Top 10 by total ODI sixes in career:

S. Jayasuriya - 182 sixes
S. Afridi - 161
S. Ganguly - 153
S. Tendulkar - 138
C. Cairns - 126
I.V.A. Richards - 126
W. Akram - 121
Inzamam - 114
A. de Silva - 102
B. Lara - 99

Top 10 by sixes per innings in ODI career:

S. Afridi - 0.94 sixes/innings
R. Powell - 0.89
A. Flintoff - 0.82
C. Cairns - 0.76
I.V.A. Richards - 0.75
S. Ganguly - 0.64
C.G. Greenidge - 0.63
B.L. Cairns - 0.63
S. Jayasuriya - 0.60
C. Gayle - 0.58

[edit] Actually after today's match Chris Cairns' tally goes up to 129 and sixes/innings up to 0.78.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
About 5 years ago I was at a Shell Cup D/N match at Jade Stadium and Cairns launched 3 of the biggest 6's I have personally ever seen....he hit one of them up onto the roof of the old stand.

But today's six was huge...not many players could claim to well & truly clear a stadium like that 6 today.

Swervy

International Captain
Lance Cairns used to launch them big time as well...with those bats he had with no shoulders...by god he could hit it

Eclipse

International Debutant
Adamc said:

S. Afridi - 161
S. Ganguly - 153
S. Tendulkar - 138
C. Cairns - 126
I.V.A. Richards - 126
W. Akram - 121
Inzamam - 114
A. de Silva - 102
B. Lara - 99

R. Powell - 0.89
A. Flintoff - 0.82
C. Cairns - 0.76
I.V.A. Richards - 0.75
S. Ganguly - 0.64
C.G. Greenidge - 0.63
B.L. Cairns - 0.63
S. Jayasuriya - 0.60
C. Gayle - 0.58
Have you got one of these for test matches??

thierry henry

International Coach
Adamc said:

S. Afridi - 161
S. Ganguly - 153
S. Tendulkar - 138
C. Cairns - 126
I.V.A. Richards - 126
W. Akram - 121
Inzamam - 114
A. de Silva - 102
B. Lara - 99

R. Powell - 0.89
A. Flintoff - 0.82
C. Cairns - 0.76
I.V.A. Richards - 0.75
S. Ganguly - 0.64
C.G. Greenidge - 0.63
B.L. Cairns - 0.63
S. Jayasuriya - 0.60
C. Gayle - 0.58
Interesting. That suggests that Afridi is probably the best six hitter, especially when you combine the sixes per innings with the fact that he has a comparatively low average.

I would be interested to see a comparative figure for tests. I think Cairns would be higher up the list.