• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best six hitters

nibbs

International Captain
The biggest six I can recall was in Astles 222 against England. It the third 6 in a row of Caddick. The first one went through cover, the next he hooked through square leg. The next one he gave himself a little room and cleared the stand down the ground. It was massive. Huge, and they lost the ball...

Andre

International Regular
Two of the biggest sixes I have ever seen were from Mark Waugh and Hansie Cronje.

Waugh's six from Daniel Vettori in Perth 1997 was long, long and high. From memory it got stuck on the roof (which at the WACA is very high) or out of the stadium.

The second was Hansie at the MCG off Shane Warne in that year.

masterblaster

International Captain
One of the biggest I've seen was Sachin Tendulkar against the Australian's. He fully blitzed guys like Gavin Robertson and Shane Warne, and at one time I think in one of his innings he hit just 3 fous but 7 sixes.

Quite amazing was Sachin back when he was 25.

Andre

International Regular
masterblaster said:
Quite amazing was Sachin back when he was 25.
It's strange to think that he is the most experianced international cricket around since Steve Waugh's retirment. He's 31 or something??

Bouncer

State Regular
are we not forgetting one of the massive hitters of the ball, Wasim Akram, i think when he decided he was going to go after the ball, he never cared even if it was a fast bowler and just came down the track, and then with his full swing of his arms, used to hit the ball LOOOOONG way. I have seen him making some Amazing contacts with the ball.

masterblaster

International Captain
Andre said:
It's strange to think that he is the most experianced international cricket around since Steve Waugh's retirment. He's 31 or something??
Sachin's 30 mate, yeah it is quite strange that after Steve Waugh, he is the most experienced of the current international players.

He's not as dashing or destructive anymore because naturally people mature, and he has as well.

Sachin is one of the veteran's in a very young Indian squad. But in essence Sachin is a very young man as well. He's just 30, considering that Hayden is 32 and Gilly is 31/32 as well.

thierry henry

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
15.08 % of Cairns' runs have been in sixes.
Fred Trueman alone has it at 15.29%. I think it would be fair to say that you would be incorrect.
Ummm....how?

Does Trueman's 0.21% advantage make up for the fact that he hit about 1/3 the sixes Cairns has?

Mingster

State Regular
Tim said:
But today's six was huge...not many players could claim to well & truly clear a stadium like that 6 today.
That 6 at Carisbrook only just cleared the rope.

The commentators were just overrating it. TV3 proved it last night.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
what? the final 6 went out of the ground...they showed a camera shot of it going out of the stadium.

Mingster

State Regular
Yeah same when I first saw it.

But people who went to the game told me it only made it over the boundary by a few metres.

TV3 last night used different angles to show it as well. The Commentators were wrong.

Craig

World Traveller
Andre said:
Two of the biggest sixes I have ever seen were from Mark Waugh and Hansie Cronje.

Waugh's six from Daniel Vettori in Perth 1997 was long, long and high. From memory it got stuck on the roof (which at the WACA is very high) or out of the stadium.
Onto the roof of the Lille-Marsh Stand. And you know how big that stand is.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
It's bigger now. Although Symonds sixes there last month wern't on the same stand, although pretty damn close. Whats more, the bloke who fetched it back got in the sh*t appartently:lol:

Armadillo

State Vice-Captain
deeps said:
lance klusener, shahid afridi, moin khan, brett lee

are all pretty big six hitters when they get going
Not so much Shahid Afridi as he is not reliable enough, same with Brett Lee, however Lance Klusener I would say is possibly even better than Chris Cairns at six hitting

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
thierry henry said:
Ummm....how?

Does Trueman's 0.21% advantage make up for the fact that he hit about 1/3 the sixes Cairns has?
It's hard to hit sixes when you're not batting. Trueman clearly wasn't a batsman of the quality of Cairns, no doubt about that, but of the runs he scored whilst at the crease, a larger percentage of them were sixes. Therefore you can probably deduce that if he had scored more runs, he would have also hit more sixes. Granted, that's an assumption.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Actually the biggest six I have ever seen was John Dakin... I think he straight drove Keith Parsons....

Taunton is a very small ground, but not often do you see the ball still climbing as it goes over the stand :lol: It must have cleared the parking lot behind the ground...

thierry henry

International Coach
It's hard to hit sixes when you're not batting. Trueman clearly wasn't a batsman of the quality of Cairns, no doubt about that, but of the runs he scored whilst at the crease, a larger percentage of them were sixes. Therefore you can probably deduce that if he had scored more runs, he would have also hit more sixes. Granted, that's an assumption.
That's a pretty bad assumption. It's oversimplistic to say that the best six hitter is simply the player with the highest percentage of runs as sixes. Cairns is a better six hitter than the likes of Trueman and Holding, because he is actually capable of staying at the crease long enough to hit sixes. I'm guessing that Trueman and Holding also probably got themselves out prematurely a lot of times attempting to hit sixes. When I look at that list Cairns stands out like a beacon, with his combination of high % of runs as sixes, and how prolific he was (second all time). A lower order batsman who didn't hit many sixes, but hit a lot in comparison to how few runs he scored, hardly compares to #2 on the all-time list.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
thierry henry said:
Cairns is a better six hitter than the likes of Trueman and Holding, because he is actually capable of staying at the crease long enough to hit sixes.
Crease occupation is about as far from six hitting as is possible, so why should that increase a players rating?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Exactly. How can someone be a better six hitter because they know how to occupy the crease better?

southern man

U19 Cricketer
Tim said:
what? the final 6 went out of the ground...they showed a camera shot of it going out of the stadium.
The camera shot was very flattering to the shot, I was sitting in the stand the shot landed beside, The ball went very high yes but it did not go that far.