• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Michael Clarke Announces Comeback

Compton

International Debutant
“It’s in my blood.”
APnews.com.au
FORMER Australia captain Michael Clarke is reportedly considering a return to first-class cricket and won’t rule out an international comeback, telling the Daily Telegraph on Sunday “I’ll never say never to anything.”

The 34-year-old Clarke retired after the Ashes defeat last August, and after a series of personal setbacks. He battled a back injury which affected his form, fell out with the Australia selectors and administration, and struggled with the accidental death of his close friend and teammate Phil Hughes.

Clarke told News Corp he will likely return to cricket in a Sydney club match between Western Suburbs and Randwick-Petersham on Feb. 20. He said his break from cricket had allowed him to recover from his back injury and reminded him cricket is “in my blood.”

“So I’ll start with playing this grade game for Western Suburbs and see if I miss it as much as I feel like I’m going to,” Clarke said. “If I do, the option is there to train the entire winter and then we’ll see what happens.”

Clarke said he might follow other former internationals by playing in lucrative Twenty20 competitions, at least Australia’s Big Bash and the Indian Premier League. He would then consider a first-class return for New South Wales before weighing other options.

Clarke said he felt fit enough to continue.

“I’ve still been training all the time,” he said. “Training has always been such a big part of my life and I enjoy it, so my body is feeling amazing and my back feels outstanding.”

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Why would any BBL or IPL team want Clarke? He was a terrible T20 player.
Glamour boy, former international captain, drawcard for crowds, exceptional on-field cricket brain, good spin bowler, good fielder, good batsman. Hmmmm….

Red

Interesting this occurs on the day Watto is announced Aust's new 20/20 captain BTW

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Can't help but think Clarke saw Steve Smith be a little bitch and decided enough is enough. Hope he takes the captaincy back from weet bix boy.

91Jmay

International Coach
Glamour boy, former international captain, drawcard for crowds, exceptional on-field cricket brain, good spin bowler, good fielder, good batsman. Hmmmm….
He is a terrible T20 batsmen. Awful strike rate/average and barely any scores of note ever. Good spin bowler :laugh::laugh: Are you trolling? He has barely bowled in the last 5 years.

BBL and IPL have no issues with ticket sales and Clarke isn't a big T20 name either for IPL.

You'd be picking him as a captain (which he has never successfully done in T20 either).

Guessing you'd add '****s gold and pukes platinum' to your list as well.

Red

He is a terrible T20 batsmen. Awful strike rate/average and barely any scores of note ever. Good spin bowler :laugh::laugh: Are you trolling? He has barely bowled in the last 5 years.

BBL and IPL have no issues with ticket sales and Clarke isn't a big T20 name either for IPL.

You'd be picking him as a captain (which he has never successfully done in T20 either).

Guessing you'd add '****s gold and pukes platinum' to your list as well.
Don't be silly. Most IPL clubs would want him (they love golden boy Australians) and BBL clubs will fall over themselves wanting to recruit him. Massive marketing ability.

Is a good bowler if his back allows. If he can bowl 4 overs he suddenly becomes a really handy all rounder in a format where spinners can be super valuable.

And honestly, he's at least as good as the fifth selected batsman in any BBL team. The fact is, he's hardly played any 20/20 cricket in his career. Can definitely play a role in any team. Surely you can see that?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Definitely think Clarke has it in him to develop a decent T20 game if he ever felt like it. Always felt he just didn't really care for the format.

91Jmay

International Coach
He has the 9th worst strike rate in T20i history for a top 7 bat (min 20 innings) and an awful average. He is a really, really bad T20 player.

If he can bowl 4 overs? You aren't actually being serious now are you? Ashton Agar barely bowls 4 overs regularly, yet now Michael Clarke at the age of 35 with a steel back is all of a sudden Adil Rashid.

He might get signed as a marketing ploy, but he'd be one of the worst players in BBL and IPL.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Plenty more money for Clarke to make in T20 at least. BBL at the very least, the Aussie crowds still love him. If he can eek out a couple years before his ****ty back gives out he'll be even more a millionaire.
Maybe Warney talked him into it?

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I doubt he'll be back, I mean how can the poor little poppet guarantee that all the pitches he plays on will actually be totally catered for him and his team.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Plenty more money for Clarke to make in T20 at least. BBL at the very least, the Aussie crowds still love him. If he can eek out a couple years before his ****ty back gives out he'll be even more a millionaire.
Maybe Warney talked him into it?
The Aussie crowds never loved him.

Bloke was booed at his home ground in his first test as skipper FFS. He may have won a few over towards the end (and rightly so) but he was never the right fit as Aussie skipper for your average bogan supporter.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if he plays anything like his last couple of series he'll be playing in his Grade sides 2s after a few games

Interesting this occurs on the day Watto is announced Aust's new 20/20 captain BTW
why

Can't help but think Clarke saw Steve Smith be a little bitch and decided enough is enough. Hope he takes the captaincy back from weet bix boy.
weird

Last edited:

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
The Aussie crowds never loved him.

Bloke was booed at his home ground in his first test as skipper FFS. He may have won a few over towards the end (and rightly so) but he was never the right fit as Aussie skipper for your average bogan supporter.
the type of person who looks from outside the sport tend to like people like Pup. He's a golden boy, has performed well (been in many positive headlines), has ties to the golden era of Oz. I think from a marketing perspective they'll be licking their lips at the thought of signing him.
I personally feel he's retired and should be very happy with his career, the only thing I'd consider is doing the T20 circuit if he's capable.