• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The greater challenge for a cricketer is...

Which is the more difficult transition?

• International T20s > Tests

Votes: 2 33.3%
  • Domestic first class (4/5 days) > Tests

Votes: 4 66.7%

• Total voters

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
Interested in opinions on this. Also interested on opinions if there's a difference between batting, bowling and fielding.

Dave Warner (boo hiss) makes me think the transition from IT20s might be easier.

Was thinking about this in special reference to an NZ domestic T20 competition and what that might mean for future pathways to the Test side.

The Battlers Prince

International Vice-Captain
Depends on the era. In the 90's and early 00's in Australia the domestic FC comp was so strong the step up wasn't great. And in some cases it was really a step down. The case currently isn't the same, but if the pitches were better at present they'd be producing a better standard cricketer as well.
As far a NZ is concerned I'm seeing more international games being a positive. From my perspective

Last edited:

cnerd123

likes this
This really depends on the player doesn't it? If the player's main weakness is temperament, then cracking FC will help them make the move to Tests more than T20Is. If the player has the temperament but lacks the tools, they can dominate FC all they want but Tests would be too hard for them - for these players being able to adapt to the pace and standard of International cricket through T20Is would make the step up to Tests easier.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As a rule, I will say the skillsets you get to hone in T20s will not really help you in tests. But then there is Dave Warner and Ravi Ashwin who really made the journey from Intl T20 to Intl Tests. And WArner had not even played FC when he played T20Is for Australia. I would say that if you do have the skills, then temperament wise the exposure to international cricket will help such players from T20Is to Tests far more than FC to tests. But for a young player looking to develop a skill set, a la Root, FC to tests is much better than T20Is to tests.

doesitmatter

U19 Cricketer
I picked Domestic to Internationals and my reasons are non-cricketing ones but important challenges that the players face in International cricket 1) Lure of money and more money 2) Depression, Stress and anxiety 3) not able to handle fame etc..Vinod Kambli, Marcus Trescothick and Monty Panesar are good examples of this new age phenomenon..Didnt feel like including Trott as i feel the sucker lied that he had depression..

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
I don't think Trott was dishonest about his mental problems. He always struck me as a thoroughly decent and humorous sort of person and may have been one of those people who gets depressed from being too nice.

Re: honestbharani's post, I guess what it comes down to is whether the biggest challenge about batting in Tests when compared to lower levels is the tightness of the bowling or the dangerousness of the high pace/movement. Probably in IT20s a batsman will face a high number of wicket taking balls, like in Tests. But in FC a batsman will face tight bowling, like in Tests.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, self-analysis of mental states (especially when you're not in a great one) is clearly an exact science.

Whatever it was, Trott was suffering. It's idiotic and disrespectful to cast doubt on his character because of it.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's obviously no answer to this question, should see some interesting discussion though I guess